Anyone go 7m in an mk4??

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
Yblegal91t;1502839 said:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

even this guy didn't know what to think.. :biglaugh:

How come it has two power steering bottles?

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
Failure14;1502778 said:
Ah that would be pretty crazy, as jeft said prior yea JZ's do have a better
base plateform but thats just to start from, a 7M can easily made to be as durable
and have the longetivity of a JZ.

Not to mention alot of guys like the torque of the 7M and believe it or not
some actually regret going 1jz.

Elaborate on the Weaker tolerances part please... i'd like to hear this.

And the 1jz-2jz cant make butt loads of HP with stock internals unless you consider "butt loads" 550-650hp area.

The head is known to be a weak piont, even after upgrading the headgasket and using ARP hardware 7m's can still have failures while making lower range power. Sorry if i used the wrong terminology when using the word tolerances. Also exactly how much is a butt load? Please don't elaborate on this i don't want to know. I said boat loads. And yes i do believe 550hp to 650hp is good power. If its not enough you just don't know how to use it. A lot of the muscle car guys embarass us making that kind of power.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
s383mmber1;1502313 said:
Would you put a B16 in a Rsx type S?

:: angry ::

lol... you guys are too uptight... and yes, if the two were layin around (b16 and rsx shell).... yes... i'd do the swap... cause why not.. the replacement for displacement is just more boost.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
well. it could be said that any part of a motor is a weak-point, and it could be true, but to what extent? the variables and circumstances are literally endless... get what i'm sayin?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Failure14;1502778 said:
Ah that would be pretty crazy, as jeft said prior yea JZ's do have a better
base plateform but thats just to start from, a 7M can easily made to be as durable
and have the longetivity of a JZ.

Not to mention alot of guys like the torque of the 7M and believe it or not
some actually regret going 1jz.

Elaborate on the Weaker tolerances part please... i'd like to hear this.

And the 1jz-2jz cant make butt loads of HP with stock internals unless you consider "butt loads" 550-650hp area.

Doubling the power the engine had stock without opening the block is pretty damn rare in the automotive world. The record for the 2J is nearly 3x stock power (800+). 7M with a MHG and properly rebuilt to stock tolerances has pushed over 700.

The main thing is the MKIV guys go stand-alone early and don't screw around on getting a real tune. Is the 2J a better design? Sure, it has a better flowing head for starters, but fully built they're both 3.0 engines and will flow damn near the same. That is until the 2J goes stroker...

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Just keep the 2JZ in the MKIV, we'll keep the 7M in MKIII's and MKII's.
The 7M gave the idea for the 1jz and 2JZ, it is just a improved 7M in my opinion. The 7M was good for its time, and now the 1jz/2jz are here they're good for their time as well.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
There are so many things improved on the JZ versus the M. Anyone who does not see how much better they are has never taken both apart.

The oiling system alone makes the JZ far superior to the M. It's just newer, the 7M is an upgraded 60's engine. The only thing modern on it really at the time was the head, and the JZ has it beat there too.

The only thing I can think of where the 7M has the 2JZ beat in any way is torque, it has a long stroke.

This isn't really a thread about what's better, but seriously if you don't consider the 2JZ better than the 7M... I don't know what to say, haha.

PS: Still love my 7M.

Jeff

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Jeff Lange;1503506 said:
There are so many things improved on the JZ versus the M. Anyone who does not see how much better they are has never taken both apart.

The oiling system alone makes the JZ far superior to the M. It's just newer, the 7M is an upgraded 60's engine. The only thing modern on it really at the time was the head, and the JZ has it beat there too.

The only thing I can think of where the 7M has the 2JZ beat in any way is torque, it has a long stroke.

This isn't really a thread about what's better, but seriously if you don't consider the 2JZ better than the 7M... I don't know what to say, haha.

PS: Still love my 7M.

Jeff

Would you agree the ignition system is better to C.O.P, also what about the design of the inter cooler piping? Just throwing that out there.. I am not a fan of how the 7M has the 3000 pipe as a heat sink right over a hot motor, also getting to the plugs and wires is fun.. :\

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
92TealSupra;1503513 said:
Would you agree the ignition system is better to C.O.P, also what about the design of the inter cooler piping? Just throwing that out there.. I am not a fan of how the 7M has the 3000 pipe as a heat sink right over a hot motor, also getting to the plugs and wires is fun.. :\

The 2JZ's ignition pickup system is more accurate than the 7M's, though it still uses magnetic pickups. Still, the sequential ignition system and getting rid of the multiplexing igniter allows for more accurate and power spark.

While the 7M's ignition system is good, in fact better than many systems from 1986, the JZ's is just better.

Like most things on the engine, the 7M is good, and was better than a lot of production engines for the mid-80's, but the JZ was just improved all around.

Jeff

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Jeff is dead on here. This is not about shitting on the M series motors. For the time they were produced, they were amazing examples of the technology of the day.

In 1982, the Commodore 64 was also an amazing example of the technology of the day. Just as I wouldn't suggest using a C64 as the centerpiece of your gaming system, I wouldn't suggest putting a 7M into a MKIV.

The simple fact that the 7M can be built to compete with modern engines is a real testament to the motors amazing potential.

With all that said, and with all things being equal (i.e. budget, time, etc..) even with the increased cost of the 2JZ, you're going to spend more to get the same performance out of the 7M, and you will hit the "limit" of the factory engine management and the overall limitations of the motor a lot sooner. A 2JZ crate motor is capable of every bit of 600-700 reliable RWHP. You can't say that for the 7M. By the time you build the 7M up to the point where it could take that, you could have bought a 2JZ for less.

This doesn't even take into account the fact that the MKIV was sold with the 2JZ, so wiring, harnesses, mounts, etc are easy to come by.

zurud

Apr 10, 2005
Evansville, IN
This is a very stupid thread. Only teenage stoners that smoke weed all day will think about it. I can't believe this thread being entertain this long. Maybe being stupid is a goal for some people and proud of it.

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
zurud;1511714 said:
This is a very stupid thread. Only teenage stoners that smoke weed all day will think about it. I can't believe this thread being entertain this long. Maybe being stupid is a goal for some people and proud of it.

then why did u bump it? lol

DigityD'87

Feb 27, 2008
Portsmouth, NH
zurud;1511714 said:

Yeh! An adult stoner would never think about this......ever..........ummm what? Anyway I'd consider it just to make the Mk4 sound like a REAL car lol. Sry! Jk

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
zurud;1511714 said:

p1512045_1.jpg