Anyone go 7m in an mk4??

White Zombie

Feb 1, 2007
Hampton , VA
ok well as applesauce said, one of our friends mentioned doing this swap too. Im on board for the swap but let me tell you WHY he considered it...

He had an oppertunity to buy a slightly banged up mk4 with no motor no trans for a great price. now why would he spend thousands of dollars :aigo: on buying a 1-2jz and trans when he had a strong 7m complete !!! his idea was FINACIALLY motavatied...
Obviously if he DIDNT have his powerplant already. I wouldnt have advised him to go for it.

Altezza576

Jul 17, 2009
New York
I considered doing something of this nature.. but I dont want to have two supras in 2010 that dont run :)

Option A - Pull the built JZ out of my MK4 and put it into my MK3

Option B - Pull the 7M out of my MK3 and replace with 1JZ

Option C - Pull the 7M out of my MK3 and replace with Altezza 3SGE Beams

I need to do something to revive my MK3

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
White Zombie;1502681 said:
ok well as applesauce said, one of our friends mentioned doing this swap too. Im on board for the swap but let me tell you WHY he considered it...

He had an oppertunity to buy a slightly banged up mk4 with no motor no trans for a great price. now why would he spend thousands of dollars :aigo: on buying a 1-2jz and trans when he had a strong 7m complete !!! his idea was FINACIALLY motavatied...
Obviously if he DIDNT have his powerplant already. I wouldnt have advised him to go for it.

Only real issue is these days it's cheaper to go 2J NA-T than it is to build a 7M.

Hell, a stock 2J block is pretty cheap from Toyota IIRC...

MK3.0dudeman

brian L.
Mar 12, 2007
North Jersey
IJ.;1502674 said:
Like it's ever going to happen... and if it did it would be nothing more than a hacked up PoS NA Mk4 where nothing of the original equipment worked that might make 300rwhp a few times before dropping it's guts and never running again (If it ever ran at all that is) and then end up being parted...:nono:
+1 to that or a crazy drag racer who loves 7M's doing it ummmmm slow66?

I've seen a 1J in a MKIV once when I saw it it hurt my eyes and head for a sec cause it didn't look right until I examened it.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Z bend in roll cage = flat pack if it rolls over...

Not to mention the engine not fitting under the hood, just seems to be a bucket of fail.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
IJ.;1502674 said:
Like it's ever going to happen... and if it did it would be nothing more than a hacked up PoS NA Mk4 where nothing of the original equipment worked that might make 300rwhp a few times before dropping it's guts and never running again (If it ever ran at all that is) and then end up being parted...:nono:

Nate, Ian.

Agreed.

I have some more mentality to put into this thread of idiots.

1. The Going price of the MK4 is still more than 5000 for a BARE car, and I mean BARE
  2. The 7M-GTE's harness will need to be extended.
  3. Someone with the money required to do this would chuckle and spend it on a restoring the car and not making the SupraMania Niche Special with no resale value.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Poodles;1501908 said:
Nobody has done it so far as I know. Would be nice to have a crazy 7M stuffed into a MKIV and take it to one of the national meets.

It would be interesting for sure to do to a car that's becoming a full on drag car. But do it 3000 Pipe and all. :)

Push;1502065 said:
5m mk4 sounds even better...

Burn it with fire! :: angry ::

12 Valves of fury!

s383mmber1;1502313 said:
Would you put a B16 in a Rsx type S?

:: angry ::

Good Analogy

Another MkIII;1502319 said:
Step 1: Build the shit out a 5M
Step 2: Swap into a Mk IV
Step 3: Win a lot of races
Step 4: Still get laughed at for going backwards
-AM3

Step ONE. Waste of money. MK2 owners don't commonly build the Motor like we build 7M's.
Step Two. MKIV will run away.
Step Tree. 2JZ will deciminate all
Step Four i'm laughing at this idea now. ;)

Tanya;1502336 said:
Ugh. you're all doing it wrong. I've been talking about stuffing a 4M-E into a MKIV for a decade now. And bringing it to SILV so I can watch jellybean owners cry. if I had the money, I would TOTALLY do it, for the epic lolz to be had.

No MK4 owner will cry. They'll just facepalm. But it'll surely be the best handling and gripping anything the 4M-E has seen.

Moy;1502651 said:
Toyota used the 3sgte in MK4's for road racing.

I'd put a 7m-gte into a MK4 and not give two shits what others think

Again, they'd facepalm.

applesauce;1502118 said:
I've seen plenty 1jz's in MK4's, I've always wondered if they put them in the 93 year in Japan. Anyone know if this is true?

7m in a MK4:wtf: One of my frineds was thinking about doing that, I told him i'd help but im not gonna be apart of the :kickinthenuts: ass whipping he gets at the next meet. Also best believe you might still have friends on the Mania but those MK4 guys on Supraforums are a little bit more hard core... so expect to get :ban: banned just because LOL!

Nope the 1JZ and A80 never met in the factor. the soarer/SCx did though.

1JZ MK4 IMO makes plenty of sense.

• Light car.
  • Revy motor
  • But still going backwards.

drewsh666

feeling it
Feb 12, 2008
jackson CA
i think it would be an intresting swap because the 7m was the 2j back in the hay day so why not. The 7m parts catalog is growing again do to the fact that it is a cheap way of owning a supra. So i say why not

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
I am completely surprized anyone thinks this is a good idea. Yeah, lets put an older motor with weaker tolerances into a car that came with an engine that is one of the toughest most beloved import drag engines of all time. This motor which can make boat loads of power with stock internals. Not saying the 7m isn't good, but it isn't a 2jz.

Failure14

Banned
May 29, 2009
Ohio
Ah that would be pretty crazy, as jeft said prior yea JZ's do have a better
base plateform but thats just to start from, a 7M can easily made to be as durable
and have the longetivity of a JZ.

Not to mention alot of guys like the torque of the 7M and believe it or not
some actually regret going 1jz.

supramk3speed;1502757 said:
I am completely surprized anyone thinks this is a good idea. Yeah, lets put an older motor with weaker tolerances into a car that came with an engine that is one of the toughest most beloved import drag engines of all time. This motor which can make boat loads of power with stock internals. Not saying the 7m isn't good, but it isn't a 2jz.

Elaborate on the Weaker tolerances part please... i'd like to hear this.

And the 1jz-2jz cant make butt loads of HP with stock internals unless you consider "butt loads" 550-650hp area.

Yblegal91t

it finally runs!
Apr 22, 2006
C1 outer
sm_photo_missing.jpg

even this guy didn't know what to think.. :biglaugh: