Any 2 Wheel Lovers on the forums

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
A dual sport/ super moto would be easier still... they are insanely easy to maneuver. Even compared to a small sport bike.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
jetjock;1926449 said:
What part are you having trouble with? And yes, take a MSF class or google Jerry "Motorman" Palladino. Nobody knows more about slow speed handling than motor cops....

I'm having trouble with the circle, the most I've done is 180 degrees counter clockwise, and they expect 720, both ways.

I found "The Motorman" on youtube, thanks for the suggestion! "No such thing as a bike that won't do it."

fixitman04;1926463 said:
find a friend with a dual sport bike... i have borrowed mine to a few different friends to take their test on... much easier to do on a light dirt bike...

I'll ask around, but my hope for passing with my Ninja is back up.

jetjock;1926492 said:
^ Been a while since I looked but I think these days Cali issues two different licenses for bikes. Not sure how that'll effect people who take the test on a smallish one. May not matter though, I'm too lazy to look it up.

One thing I do like is they have handicapped plates for motorcycles. I have loads of fun with that.

Yes there are two licenses: M1(the one I want) and M2. As long as I'm not on a goped or a bicycle with a motor attached, they'll give me the M1.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
sport bikes are hard to do the test on due to their tire width and fork angle.. they are designed to be very stable at high speeds... like anything else in life..you must compromise to get what you want... in this case it is slow speed stability and maneuverability... which is exactly what a dualsport is designed for....incidentally in stock form they suck at high speeds

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
mkiiSupraMan18;1926748 said:
Curious, how big is said circle?
in nd they have a double s turn that you have to do to pass... it is a figure eight in the space of 2 parking spots....no touching the lines or putting a foot down or you fail.

Last edited:

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
mkiiSupraMan18;1926748 said:
Curious, how big is said circle?

TestCourse.jpg

Apparently AKA the lollipop of death, lol.

fixitman04;1926757 said:
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110552

food for thought guys.... bridgstone/firestone says their tires cant withstand freezing temps... i say boycott due to their customer service.... pass it along

Wtf? And didn't they use to have a problem with tires getting too hot? I never did like Firestone, I've never bought tires for any vehicle from them and don't plan to.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
fixitman04;1926757 said:
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110552

food for thought guys.... bridgstone/firestone says their tires cant withstand freezing temps... i say boycott due to their customer service.... pass it along

Posted on all the forums I frequent.

fixitman04;1926758 said:
in nd they have a double s turn that you have to do to pass... it is a figure eight in the space of 2 parking spots....no touching the lines or putting a foot down or you fail.

Piece of cake.

IanC

Jul 13, 2012
Maryville, TN
Bridgestone Battle Axes are some of the best bias plias out there. Not something most of you will ever need but for the vintage riders.

For the box circle, shift your ass off the outside of the bike opposite the direction you're turning, turn, use your body as a counter weight, maintain a steady throttle, ride tight circle all day.

Dyzzyman

May 7, 2011
Arizona
IanC;1926772 said:
For the box circle, shift your ass off the outside of the bike opposite the direction you're turning, turn, use your body as a counter weight, maintain a steady throttle, ride tight circle all day.

^^ Might even go to the extent of putting your thigh on the seat. Although it was easier to do with a 1xx cc shadow the facility used for students when I went through the MSF class.

As people have mentioned, MSF course. Depending on the class composition, you might get some questions asked that give you further insight, something you might not have thought about. Instructors would be able to give you pointers and feedback for the road course portion of the skills test.

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
jetjock;1926492 said:
^ Been a while since I looked but I think these days Cali issues two different licenses for bikes. Not sure how that'll effect people who take the test on a smallish one. May not matter though, I'm too lazy to look it up.

One thing I do like is they have handicapped plates for motorcycles. I have loads of fun with that.

They have the M1 and the other M which is basically scooters or anything below 50cc's i believe. The funniest thing california does to the dual sport bikers is not only charge them street registration but make them pay for OHF registration as well, which in turn are the same damn thing. But were broke, broke enough for me to think ill be smogging my bike within the next few years

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Took the DRZ out on some trails with my cousin Sunday after lunch... I forgot how fun it was speeding through the woods but DAMN does it need some knobbies in the mud!

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I applied some of your guys' tips and after lots of practice I was able to eventually do the course in my seat.

[video=youtube_share;l62kOJlUi-Y]http://youtu.be/l62kOJlUi-Y[/video]

I set off in first, and then didn't touch the throttle, clutch, or either brake for the practice run. My speedo varied between 2 and 3 mph (the course isn't level because of a tree root). I looked at Tracy's course via satellite on Google and it looked super smooth, but (due to budget cuts, I assume) they no longer offer the service at that office.

My appointment for the test is on May 1st.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
jetjock;1930091 said:
Nice job.
jetjock;1930091 said:
you should learn to manipulate the clutch and brake during slow speed handling.
I agree. I plan to take a safety course this year, to learn that among other things. I need to know all I can to survive...
jetjock;1930091 said:
Your time is still coming though. For sure in that God awful place you live...
I've already had two incidents since I started riding.

As soon as some big truck completes a left hand turn onto this street, it goes for an immediate turn into the Shell station on my right, and we both brake side by side each other:
p1930152_1.png

Another big truck incident: We're side by side when the light turns green, and we both set off at normal acceleration, oddly enough both going straight. I sped up slightly and glared at him as I passed his driver side fender. He proceeded to tailgate me...
p1930152_2.png

Cool stories, I know, Bro.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
mkiiSupraMan18;1930443 said:
We get it. We're all going to die. :icon_roll

Well, to be techinical, I guess we are all going to die. Sweet Dreams...

Clearly not, since we continue to ride :biglaugh:

My CBR friend I mentioned a while back asked me last night if I've heard of the CBR 500. Omg, when did this come out?

13_CBR500R_WhtBluRed.jpg

CBR500R_2013_01.jpg

CBR500R_2013_08.jpg

CBR500R_2013_04.jpg

VERY interesting, straight-twin engine, 6k MSRP.

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cbr500r.aspx

EDIT: Redlines at only 9100, good for 116mph. Well, that explains the price difference between it and the Ninja 650R (I was thinking the gap should be like 1k smaller).

Last edited: