Amp for SPEAKERS ONLY? Worth it?

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Sigh, K here I go. I didnt want to get involved but ah wtf. For the creator of this thread. Dont get an amp, leave your system as is. The amp WILL NOT give you better bass. The speakers on these cars are just way to small to produce any kind of significant bass with or with out amp. The amp will only over power the speakers and make them distort and run out much faster. You say this is just temporary, then save your money untill you can go all alpine. If you are in need of bass and cant live without then Go to Wal-Mart and get those 50 dollar 10 inch sub and amp set up. That will give you the little bit more that you are looking for and will come out way cheaper. You mentioned you dont want subwoofers or something but maybe you should consider it since you want more bass. Now, as far as Sony. It really does not matter. When we are dealing with 4 inch and 5 inch speakers there really isisnt much we can do if we are gonna stay with out any custom alterations. They will almost all provide bad bass. UNLESS you are using component speaker systems. Components are rated at higher rms and are high end speakers so amp's really do make a big difrence there. You do not have components yet and even if you did. They wont give a bass that much better then the coax you have now :). For good Bass on these cars, a good single Subwoofer is the way to go. Save and then Go all out with Mids, Highs, and Lows. :)

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Nevermind, I reread. You have 6.5's. Yeah, get an amp for emm if you can afford it. I worked at circuit city car audio and every time we show cased speakers we would show how much better they sound with an amp. Then again it was an Eclipse amp worth 400 bucks. I actually liked the Sony speakers. I was impressed.

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
pbasil1;1047366 said:
Wow, one of the few people here in the US that i have seen that even know who hertz and rainbow are! Since you have heard of them, where in the hell can i get some here in the US? Ive been wanting some rainbow comps forever, but im not going to pay for them to be shipped over seas!

Pbasil1, did you try google "rainbow car audio"? www.speedsound.com + i'm sure there are more ppl that have Rainbow besides them thats just the first site that came up. If you buy them, tell me what you think. I heard that Rainbow mids work the best in small sealed boxes.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Pernilongo;1057598 said:
Pbasil1, did you try google "rainbow car audio"? www.speedsound.com + i'm sure there are more ppl that have Rainbow besides them thats just the first site that came up. If you buy them, tell me what you think. I heard that Rainbow mids work the best in small sealed boxes.

Yes i have seen them there, but they want big bucks for their stuff.... If i could find a good dealer, im sure i would save a few hundred.

Sside;1053963 said:
Sigh, K here I go. I didnt want to get involved but ah wtf. For the creator of this thread. Dont get an amp, leave your system as is. The amp WILL NOT give you better bass. The speakers on these cars are just way to small to produce any kind of significant bass with or with out amp. The amp will only over power the speakers and make them distort and run out much faster. You say this is just temporary, then save your money untill you can go all alpine. If you are in need of bass and cant live without then Go to Wal-Mart and get those 50 dollar 10 inch sub and amp set up. That will give you the little bit more that you are looking for and will come out way cheaper. You mentioned you dont want subwoofers or something but maybe you should consider it since you want more bass. Now, as far as Sony. It really does not matter. When we are dealing with 4 inch and 5 inch speakers there really isisnt much we can do if we are gonna stay with out any custom alterations. They will almost all provide bad bass. UNLESS you are using component speaker systems. Components are rated at higher rms and are high end speakers so amp's really do make a big difrence there. You do not have components yet and even if you did. They wont give a bass that much better then the coax you have now :). For good Bass on these cars, a good single Subwoofer is the way to go. Save and then Go all out with Mids, Highs, and Lows. :)

You are not correct on most of what you have said. A 4" speaker can produce tons of bass. Just the problem is the enclosure. The doors on the supra are just way too large, and custom enclosures have to be made within the door to produce a better mid and low end frequency with such a small driver. Plus an amp will help any speaker. Almost all speakers are under power from head units.. They just dont put out much power! Tjhe most i have ever seen was 26w rms. The average is 18-22w rms. Even after market 3.5" speaker need more than that. And for a speaker to perform its best, it need proper power. Especially with bass. Bass is the hardest for any speaker to produce, so ill powering it will just inhibit its abilities furthermore.

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
It's true about the 4" speakers. I don't know why people think that 4" drivers can't deliver big bass. As Pbasil1 said the trick is in the enclosure type. I had 4" drivers in my stock boxes and the bass was very weak. As you know, stock boxes are ported and are not properly sealed around the edges. Once you open them up and remove the port, block the port opening, seal the box around the edges, put dynamat on the box, and put some Acusta stuf (poly fill) , you'll be amazed how much bass will be brought to your front stage. Otherwise, you'll hear all the bass from the rear and that just sounds like crap. Ultimately you want all the frequencies originate or be centered in front of the cabin. This will correct the biggest drawback of the audio in car environment: bass in the back of the car. There are numerous techniques to cure this phenomenon, like time alignment, choosing the same material of the cone for front stage and the sub, sub placement, and so on. There is absolutely nothing wrong with 4" speakers. There are 4" drivers that will destroy most 6.5"s out there, they just have to be properly installed and tuned to the whole system. Putting 6.5"s in your doors with free air install doesn't mean they will give more bass than 4" sealed. It's all contextual, every install in different. And yes - the amp will give stronger bass than just the HU.

Sparkynutz

Sad previous supra owner
Feb 27, 2006
Waupun, WI
I know you are dead set on a sony amp so to save some space, a little wiring, and a little money look for a sony 4 channel amp. anything that puts out 50-100 watts rms per channel should be plenty loud. lmk when you find one I can swing by and help you install it. I have plenty of spare rca's, and power wire as well as two shades of grey auto carpet to make an amp mounting board for the hatch. I dont know if the newer xplode amps are any good, but the only sony amp I has was an early 90's sony mobile es 25x4. it was pretty small and didnt put out much but powered a pair of 5-1/4's and 6x9's better than my pioneer deck in my first car. hope that helps-
Ryan

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
audioman81;1059589 said:
I know you are dead set on a sony amp so to save some space, a little wiring, and a little money look for a sony 4 channel amp. anything that puts out 50-100 watts rms per channel should be plenty loud. lmk when you find one I can swing by and help you install it. I have plenty of spare rca's, and power wire as well as two shades of grey auto carpet to make an amp mounting board for the hatch. I dont know if the newer xplode amps are any good, but the only sony amp I has was an early 90's sony mobile es 25x4. it was pretty small and didnt put out much but powered a pair of 5-1/4's and 6x9's better than my pioneer deck in my first car. hope that helps-
Ryan

You know sony used to make some of the best, if not the best mobile audio equipment back in the day. They stopped producing the line up back in the early 90's. It was a completely proprietary system and was the first ever fully optical car audio system. I had a customer that said he still had some of the equipment at his house and he said he paid about $15K for the system back in 91'.... Unfortunately the new sony stuff is nothing like what it used to be. But on a budget, it will certainly suffice.