Amp for SPEAKERS ONLY? Worth it?

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
Well, I finally got around to picking up some 6.5" speaker pods and speakers ( See my build thread in sig ) for my Supra. I really like the sound but I heard that it could sound EVEN better with an amplifier. I'm not looking for the amount of Bass subs provide, but just a slight bit more then what my current speakers provide.

So, how much better do speakers sound with an amp? What kind of power range amp should I be looking for, for just speakers?

I was looking into this one here ( keep in mind I want to stick with sony, since I'm using a sony deck and Sony speakers ):
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9907092

To give you the low down on my speakers I have 250 watt Sony XPLOD 6.5's in the front and 140 Watt 4 way Sony XPLOD 4x6 in the rear. ( http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6487003 and http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4694343 )

I also might upgrade the rears to 6x9 XPLOD's, gotta do some cutting in the rear pods.

666theboy

BEAST
May 4, 2008
wales
nice choice dude , but if your gonna put two 6x9`s in the back i would get a slightly more powerful amp.:aigo:

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
SupraOfDoom;1045801 said:
keep in mind I want to stick with sony, since I'm using a sony deck and Sony speakers

If that's your only rational then you really need to re-think yourself.

Sony sucks as far as car audio goes. Their head units are okay, their speakers are alright, but their amps are pretty bleh.

You can get a significantly better amp for slightly more. There is NO benifit of matching brands as far as car audio goes unless you're either sponsored or making some setup you want to show off. Honestly, I don't know why you'd choose Sony to do that :)

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
Justin;1045811 said:
If that's your only rational then you really need to re-think yourself.

Sony sucks as far as car audio goes. Their head units are okay, their speakers are alright, but their amps are pretty bleh.

You can get a significantly better amp for slightly more. There is NO benifit of matching brands as far as car audio goes unless you're either sponsored or making some setup you want to show off. Honestly, I don't know why you'd choose Sony to do that :)

See, I already know this. This is just until I can blow the kind of money I want on a complete Alpine setup. I'm getting ready for school so I'm just trying to keep things real simple right now, then down the line when I get a better job to afford my real wants, get those.

So, if I stick w/ my current speakers that amp will probably do eh? I might have to pick one up.

I just like to do themes if I can.

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Well its worth it for sure. If you compare head unit performance and amp performance the amp definitely wins. Since you already have Sony speakers even if you buy Audison, Helix, Zapco or any other really good amp most likely you won't hear the full benefits of those amps. these speakers just won't reproduce the sound well enough. So, You might as well save the money and complete the Sony set up. The amp will sound way way better than the head unit alone.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Not to upset you, but I sold car audio for 5 years, and every co-worker agreed that the Sony car audio products sounded terrible compared to the other brands. Head units sounded dull and the speakers sounded cheap. Alpine, Pioneer, and Clarion were the best of what we sold.

An amp will sound better only if you're pushing your speakers to the point of distortion. This distortion is actually from the head unit amp clipping, and will clear up with a new separate amp.

Seriously consider getting into some quality used old gear. I picked up a set of 4 MB quart QM130's for $30 a pair on eBay. These speakers are made in Germany with titanium tweeters, retailed for $499 when new and have phenomenal sound quality, winning many SQ competitions in their time.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
Well, I've heard high quality systems and my Sony's don't sound that bad. As I said before these are just a stepping stone to something better, so I'm not too worried about it. I'm not looking for any award winning speakers just yet ;).

Alpinesupra

Cars never talk back
Apr 6, 2005
mckinney, tx
yes it very worth it, esspecially if you have a higher end system as such listed above.

ive been using the califonia profile amp (http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=120&i=489AP740&tp=115) for about two years now for my 4" pioneer speakers all the way around through my panasonic head unit, they may not be high end stuff but it does clear everything up, and pro longs the life of the speakers over time.

-sean

coobies5

ttftw
May 7, 2008
Crosby,TX
SupraOfDoom;1045817 said:
See, I already know this. This is just until I can blow the kind of money I want on a complete Alpine setup. I'm getting ready for school so I'm just trying to keep things real simple right now, then down the line when I get a better job to afford my real wants, get those.

So, if I stick w/ my current speakers that amp will probably do eh? I might have to pick one up.

I just like to do themes if I can.

alpine is still not the best, but it also depends on the user and what they are looking for, if you want crystal clear mids and highs, you need to check out rainbow components, or hertz components as well. Alpine however does make killer h/u's! I have one in my truck and i plan on sticking with alpine decks as long as i can.

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
I just wanted to add that if you do go with the set up you have in mind don't cheap out on the interconnects. this is the most overlooked component in car audio. You can loose some, distort, color or dull the sound on the way to the amp. so with less than perfect components try to get maybe monster 200 or 300 series RCA cables or DLS if you can find them, they are not that expensive, but will make a world of difference compared to some off-brands like Tsunami or budged phoenix gold cables. oh, by the way, did you notice that car audio world is very opinionated? hehe

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
coobies5;1046139 said:
alpine is still not the best, but it also depends on the user and what they are looking for, if you want crystal clear mids and highs, you need to check out rainbow components, or hertz components as well. Alpine however does make killer h/u's! I have one in my truck and i plan on sticking with alpine decks as long as i can.

Wow, one of the few people here in the US that i have seen that even know who hertz and rainbow are! Since you have heard of them, where in the hell can i get some here in the US? Ive been wanting some rainbow comps forever, but im not going to pay for them to be shipped over seas!

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
well if you told me two months ago i would bring you some rainbows from home, but i'm already back, so next time i go i'll let you know. i brought some E.O.Ss with me last time. but on the other hand why don't you get some DLS comps or Dyna comps they both win over rainbows in comparison tests much like Etons and Audioarts.

Last edited:

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Pernilongo;1046166 said:
I just wanted to add that if you do go with the set up you have in mind don't cheap out on the interconnects. this is the most overlooked component in car audio. You can loose some, distort, color or dull the sound on the way to the amp. so with less than perfect components try to get maybe monster 200 or 300 series RCA cables or DLS if you can find them, they are not that expensive, but will make a world of difference compared to some off-brands like Tsunami or budged phoenix gold cables. oh, by the way, did you notice that car audio world is very opinionated? hehe
Very true. He is 100% correct. A good set of RCA's is worth every penny! High end Monsters are a decent start and wont break the bank.

SupraOfDoom;1046140 said:
As I said, I'm a theme guy, I don't plan on mix and matching. I've read reviews and Alpine isn't top they are pretty close.
Alpine is actually pretty far off on the charts of audio equipment, except their head units... There they may hit the top 10.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Pernilongo;1047369 said:
well if you told me two months ago i would bring you some rainbows from home, but i'm already back, so next time i go i'll let you know. i brought some E.O.Ss with me last time.
Damn you!!!! Seriously though, PM me next time you go! I may have a list for you lol.... Oh and you will not be allowed to leave untill you get me a Genisis amp!

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
pbasil1;1047372 said:
Damn you!!!! Seriously though, PM me next time you go! I may have a list for you lol.... Oh and you will not be allowed to leave untill you get me a Genisis amp!

Thats cool. i'll bring what ever you need i travel light. But they might have genesis here. let me see if i can find a dealer. i'll let you know.