Amp for SPEAKERS ONLY? Worth it?

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
pbasil1;1047370 said:
Alpine is actually pretty far off on the charts of audio equipment, except their head units... There they may hit the top 10.

But the sticker you get with Alpine gives you....mmmm... :)

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
ValgeKotkas;1047426 said:
But the sticker you get with Alpine gives you....mmmm... :)
Lol. "Steal me!" stickers. No thanks.

I like my Alpine head unit. I liked my OLD Alpine amps, the circa 1994 V12 amps. From when Alpine just started the V12 line, and they actually made something decent. Then they went downhill... Ah well.

I can get Herz components at the local audio shop, the one where I bought my Audison amps (Not installed yet.) I was thinking about going with those, but I've got to budget for it. The MB Quarts that I have will have to do for now. For subs, the Pioneers that I have aren't great, but they do sound good, and work in very small enclosures, which is a bonus in the Supra.

Rainbows aren't so easy to get ahold of here. Again, oh well.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
No stereo > sony car audio

Theres a lot of different brands out there that you don't have to pay a premium for but still sound very good.

But you needn't even go that far. Pioneer stuff kicks the living snot out of sony, and it can be found at most retail stores

Chris86.5

Oct 5, 2006
Leduc AB
cheap and nice sounding subs i would get a clarion 10...

if you dont want to spend lots on an amp get clarion they are pretty decent i have the 400W amp. it puts out 80RMS x 4 channels which is really good and all you need.

amps give you a nice clean sound and make it so your speakers can handle the frequencies better

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Ok, gentlemen, let's leave "You should get this..." for some other thread. After all he didn't ask "which brand amp should i get?". It pretty clear he wants a Sony. So, lets be adults here, and respect his choises. Peace. Pernilongo out.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
Pernilongo;1049268 said:
Ok, gentlemen, let's leave "You should get this..." for some other thread. After all he didn't ask "which brand amp should i get?". It pretty clear he wants a Sony. So, lets be adults here, and respect his choises. Peace. Pernilongo out.

1) Theres no logical reason why we shouldn't suggest he buy something of higher quality
2) this is the internet, one can do whatever he or she wants.
3) its spelled "choices"

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Yes it severely helps sound, but all the sony stuff is killing you. I'd just say stick with what you have until you feel like spending money on decent speakers and an amp. It's amasing how much better things sound with more than 20 watts going to the speakers.

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
speed;1049282 said:
1) Theres no logical reason why we shouldn't suggest he buy something of higher quality
2) this is the internet, one can do whatever he or she wants.
3) its spelled "choices"

1. the logical reason is that after all the suggestions he still wants to buy a Sony amp, there is really no point to keep suggesting something else. Take the hint.

2. This is the internet, its true, but, also, this is Supramania. Every section has its rules. So, " one can so whatever he or she wants" is out as a logical argument. I think theres been enough people that have been permanently banned from Supramania for doing whatever they want.

3. Not even worth my time to explain spelling errors. By the way, you start a sentence with a capital letter, you put a full stop after a completed sentence. etc.

4. Do you have a point? or just feel like getting into an argument?

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
Pernilongo;1049416 said:

1) :blah:
2) :runaway:.......:blah:
3) If you want to be technical, you made some grammatical mistakes as well.
4) Mainly, just to argue. You have good taste in audio equip and seem to know your stuff, but relax.
internet-serious-business-cat.jpg

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Dan_Gyoba;1048031 said:
Lol. "Steal me!" stickers. No thanks.

I like my Alpine head unit. I liked my OLD Alpine amps, the circa 1994 V12 amps. From when Alpine just started the V12 line, and they actually made something decent. Then they went downhill... Ah well.

I can get Herz components at the local audio shop, the one where I bought my Audison amps (Not installed yet.) I was thinking about going with those, but I've got to budget for it. The MB Quarts that I have will have to do for now. For subs, the Pioneers that I have aren't great, but they do sound good, and work in very small enclosures, which is a bonus in the Supra.

Rainbows aren't so easy to get ahold of here. Again, oh well.
Well i do love my audison amp!

Pernilongo;1047381 said:
Oh and you will not be allowed to leave untill you get me a Genisis amp

www.theautophile.com 510-548-1168 made in england "yeah baby"

Awesome! I may have to start saving up for my new monoblock! LOL

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
do you honestly think you're going to be able to distinguish between a hybrid tube amp, and something off the shelf of a local store with the noise floor you have to deal with in a car?

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
annoyingrob;1050955 said:
do you honestly think you're going to be able to distinguish between a hybrid tube amp, and something off the shelf of a local store with the noise floor you have to deal with in a car?

Yes, i honestly can hear the difference! Sure, it will never be as clean as a home theater setup, i know that. But there is enough of a difference to buy high end equipment.

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
I have removed the asphalt sheets from the floor in my supra. The floor, roof, hatch, firewall, doors, and whatever else was dynamated and dynalined on top. I also drive a 98 Lexus GS300 and i can say that my Supra with open exhaust is just as quiet inside. I have had 3 sets of car audio systems in it. Pioneer, Excelon, and Eclipse XA and PA series amps. I also tested CDT, Kappas, Eclipse and E.O.S. front stages along side IDQ v.3 and CDT subs. All of these components gave very different signature of sound. Now, back to the point. The road noise can be easily removed if desired and Hi-End won't be a waist of money. However, in my subjective opinion, it makes sense only if you an audiophile. I have played piano since I was 5 years old and I do invest money on things like tube amps, naturally sounding speakers and so on. People do perceive sound differently. I also have friends that run circuit city stuff in their cars and boast of it, they also love the way MP3s sound, so for them tubes don't make much sense. Not necessarily a bad thing, just different. There is an outlet in Supra world for super hi-end if sound is your obsession and you just have to have it in a Supra, but in the majority of cases it really doesn't make much sense or difference.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Pernilongo;1052833 said:
I have removed the asphalt sheets from the floor in my supra. The floor, roof, hatch, firewall, doors, and whatever else was dynamated and dynalined on top. I also drive a 98 Lexus GS300 and i can say that my Supra with open exhaust is just as quiet inside. I have had 3 sets of car audio systems in it. Pioneer, Excelon, and Eclipse XA and PA series amps. I also tested CDT, Kappas, Eclipse and E.O.S. front stages along side IDQ v.3 and CDT subs. All of these components gave very different signature of sound. Now, back to the point. The road noise can be easily removed if desired and Hi-End won't be a waist of money. However, in my subjective opinion, it makes sense only if you an audiophile. I have played piano since I was 5 years old and I do invest money on things like tube amps, naturally sounding speakers and so on. People do perceive sound differently. I also have friends that run circuit city stuff in their cars and boast of it, they also love the way MP3s sound, so for them tubes don't make much sense. Not necessarily a bad thing, just different. There is an outlet in Supra world for super hi-end if sound is your obsession and you just have to have it in a Supra, but in the majority of cases it really doesn't make much sense or difference.

I can agree with you 100% about all of that. Like you said, everyone hs a different perception of sound. I for instance, consider my self an audiophyle. Am i obsessed with it, no. But i will invest the money needed to get great sound in my car, regardless of what car it is....

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Well, obsession was the wrong word to use. it has to be important enough. I was finishing my 5th beer that night so, sound quality seemed very important to me. :biglaugh:

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Ive made some really nice sounding systems with used gear from ebay and closeout merchandise. Ive never spent more than $500 total on a sound system for a car, and in fact have made $350 systems that make most peoples heads turn. Alot of it is in proper installation, reasonably matched components and proper tuning. I am NOT an audiophile and quite frankly just dont understand it...but then again Im already mostly deaf ;)

I see nothing wrong with using Sony stuff if thats the best you can get in your budget. I personally dont like Sony for reasons other than sound quality. To answer the OP, I think a reasonable 40-75W amp for your front and rear stage is appropriate.