88 Blue Turbo restoration/upgrade story

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
lithium14;1668840 said:
Ok I'm so flipping mad right now... I can't get the FREAKING OIL FILTER OFF.... WHO THE HELL DECIDED TO PUT THE OIL FILTER IN THE MOST INACCESSIBLE PLACE!!!!???!?!?!?!?!

Thank Toyota...if you look around on here there are quite a few threads dealing with the relocation of the filter as well as an overall upgrade of the factory oiling system. Whenever you get around to replacing your fuel filter, be prepared for an equally difficult struggle. It's "buried" above the rear diff, forward of the fuel tank and it is somewhat tight in there. It's pretty common for those to get stuck to the hard lines and getting it off can be a fuel line ruining ordeal if you aren't careful. Your car has already come a long way and it's lookin' awesome so far:) That's too funny that you can say it's been with you since BIRTH, literally! GL with your build!

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Gota7MGTE;1672781 said:
My stereo looks like this... & yes thats the annoying song "Birthday Sex" playing. It's an old pic as you can see, i have 89+ CC now. Shift knob sucks for the fact that its around -14 to 20 degrees Fahrenheit around here & its like touching a piece of ice. Lol

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh20/D_TURCIOS/87%20Toyota%20Supra%20Turbo%20Targa%20Top/1204101902.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]
LoL!!! another reason autos rule!!:icon_cool

One of these days I need to create a written list of mods/upgrades I want to do. The whole engine bay clean-up, wire tuck, and filter relocation's is a must. But as you all know, my bushing situation and steering is priority, followed by transmission. I do believe it's getting worse everyday :1zhelp: I actually go out of my way to avoid turning at slow speeds now simply because the sounds of things clanking and popping etc scares me.[COLOR="Silver"]

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------[/SIZE]

[/COLOR]More pics soon, gotta go out to eat, just for teaser's the lights are almost done. I discovered that the lens itself is separated from the housing of my taillights, so I figure some fipg should fix it... applied discreetly of course :evil2:

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
lithium14;1672846 said:
LoL!!! another reason autos rule!!:icon_cool

One of these days I need to create a written list of mods/upgrades I want to do. The whole engine bay clean-up, wire tuck, and filter relocation's is a must. But as you all know, my bushing situation and steering is priority, followed by transmission. I do believe it's getting worse everyday :1zhelp: I actually go out of my way to avoid turning at slow speeds now simply because the sounds of things clanking and popping etc scares me.

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

More pics soon, gotta go out to eat, just for teaser's the lights are almost done. I discovered that the lens itself is separated from the housing of my taillights, so I figure some fipg should fix it... applied discreetly of course :evil2:

Lol. Im planning to change to leather.

& you just gave a reason why 5/6 Speed Manual rule :: lolsign :: once auto break down theyre a nightmare to fix & expensive. I rather rebuild a transmission back to stock performance or better, than get a 20+ year old one that is bound to break. down. The problem that come with auto's is they start sllipping, the gears grind, they eventually get stuck at a speed & won't shift. probs with manual: slipping clutch, syncros start failing.

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
Gota7MGTE;1672855 said:
Lol. Im planning to change to leather.

& you just gave a reason why 5/6 Speed Manual rule :: lolsign :: once auto break down theyre a nightmare to fix & expensive. I rather rebuild a transmission back to stock performance or better, than get a 20+ year old one that is bound to break. down. The problem that come with auto's is they start sllipping, the gears grind, they eventually get stuck at a speed & won't shift. probs with manual: slipping clutch, syncros start failing.

I've got my 154 swap (yet to be installed due to the COMPLETE failure of my gte), and I sold the auto a long time ago for almost as much as I gave for the 5 sp.swap:):):)

To the OP: if you like the auto, more power to you. Just so you know, since you said you were new to the world of Supra's, the a340 auto trans in our cars can be rebuilt to handle over 500 whp if it's done correctly. There is also an system available for a few hundred bucks (the last time I checked) that basically gives you an auto with a manual select mode capability. Google search "suprastick" and you'll see what I'm talking about. Just puttin' it out there for ya...

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
LoL!!! I thought suprastick was the ubiquitous pole that us supra owners use to hold up our hoods! haha!

Yeah I read though a few transmission threads, and the reason I want to stay auto is because of the ability to let the turbo spool continuously throughout the gear shifts, resulting in a faster overall acceleration than manual. Also found a great place for performance transmissions from these guys:http://www.importperformancetrans.c...nd-30-40le-performance-transmission-4341.html
I can either send in my transmission to be rebuilt or just buy a whole new one... but that price tag is killer :puke:

HOLY CRAP... just read up on that suprastick computer thingamabob... damn you boostcraver LoL now I got more to drool over hahaha!!, man that system sounds intense... I always wondered if it was possible to get the new shift paddle thing in older cars

hmm upon reading further... it only seems to work on 89+ cars since it needs the cruise control paddle... hmmmm

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

oh and all the computer stuff is 89+... *sigh

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
hrrmm anybody run out of "bandwidth" with photobucket before??? I don't think I have yet, but I got an email saying I'm close...

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
lithium14;1672876 said:
LoL!!! I thought suprastick was the ubiquitous pole that us supra owners use to hold up our hoods! haha!

Yeah I read though a few transmission threads, and the reason I want to stay auto is because of the ability to let the turbo spool continuously throughout the gear shifts, resulting in a faster overall acceleration than manual. Also found a great place for performance transmissions from these guys:http://www.importperformancetrans.c...nd-30-40le-performance-transmission-4341.html
I can either send in my transmission to be rebuilt or just buy a whole new one... but that price tag is killer :puke:

HOLY CRAP... just read up on that suprastick computer thingamabob... damn you boostcraver LoL now I got more to drool over hahaha!!, man that system sounds intense... I always wondered if it was possible to get the new shift paddle thing in older cars

hmm upon reading further... it only seems to work on 89+ cars since it needs the cruise control paddle... hmmmm

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

oh and all the computer stuff is 89+... *sigh

As it happens, I have all the 89+ auto computer stuff you would need to make that work, if/when you get the money together for it. Let you have it for next to nothing if you're interested...only thing I won't part with is the airbag steering wheel which has the paddle style cc lever/button that the system uses. Your on your own for that...

My only comment on the spool with an auto vs. manual thing would be to say that my friend and co-worker whooped the living piss outta my auto with his 5 sp. We were both running identical cars at the time except for the transmissions. I maintain that it's all in how it's driven, but there is nothing wrong with keeping the auto if that's your flavor. I have had both and prefer the 5sp. for the fun factor.

---------- Post added at 01:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

lithium14;1672918 said:
hrrmm anybody run out of "bandwidth" with photobucket before??? I don't think I have yet, but I got an email saying I'm close...

open a second acct.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Hmmm very very tempting... pretty sure suprastick works with 2jz right?? trying to remember what I just read... bottom line is I need to sit back and really consider what path I want to take. I was discussing with my uncle and he highly recommends a 2j swap (considering the amount of money put into a 7m vs put into 2j... in the end a 2j is still more reliable and has greater potential)... And IF I do a swap, then will I stay auto? (hmm ur auto vs manual comment is very interesting... man I need to go learn me some manual and more transmission knowledge)

ok pics now :D

sm_photo_missing.jpg

That's where it leaked overnight, the label is towards the front. I know the big puddle is steering, leaking out of the rubber boot

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Another drip spot

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Another drip spot

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Drip spot above first drip spot

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Steering Drip spot

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Vanity shot... couldn't resist haha

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Just sanded

sm_photo_missing.jpg

result after sanding from 1000 to 1500 to 2k and finally 3k

sm_photo_missing.jpg

After buff, no polish yet

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Both buffed, polish tomorrow

sm_photo_missing.jpg

See that separation??

sm_photo_missing.jpg

mmm fipg ftw

sm_photo_missing.jpg

All sealed... I hope it isn't affected by temperature too much... but then it IS toyota fipg, meant for engine stuff so should be ok

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Got fipg all over my hand cuz the tube burst at the end :(

So once I get my lights done and the car washed, this thread will slow to a crawl as I move to Austin and get settled. Once I get my life together again and have decided on a course of action... things will start to pick back up again. I just wanted to go ahead and apologize ahead of time to people who may be expecting huge changes soon... they will come I promise, be it a 2j swap, or rebuilding the 7m. And of course I will be overhauling my suspension and steering asap, so stay tuned for that as well... oh and my decision on the transmission... *sigh I still don't even know what's wrong with it... need more knowledge *runs off to research

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I'd recommend LEDs, I have clear JDM bubble markers on my 92 with amber LEDs and it looks great. I have clear rears on my 89 with red LEDs as well, and I have all my sidemarkers (front and rear) to blink on all my Supras..

[video=youtube;x7AX2vC9eFQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7AX2vC9eFQ[/video]

[video=youtube;5_gZUTbFZoo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_gZUTbFZoo[/video]

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
hmmm those look nice, I actually read about that on some article about lights for cars... I might check into that later, but now I have greater concerns. My gas mileage has dropped drastically since I did the oil change, and added the Power Intake, I went from 19.something to 15.9... ????? :help: is my O2 sensor shot??? Anyone know how to check that? I will research as well... and no cel codes so. Of course as you all know, this is accompanied by a bad transmission. I'm pretty sure there are no fuel leaks, I can neither smell nor see any leaking around the fuel lines. OH yeah I also replugged my charcoal canister, (reconnected may be a better term) so idk if that affects mpg too...

I guess a stock turbo doesn't pull very hard either... my boost gauge NEVER gets up to 8 LoL...

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
lithium14;1673213 said:
hmmm those look nice, I actually read about that on some article about lights for cars... I might check into that later, but now I have greater concerns. My gas mileage has dropped drastically since I did the oil change, and added the Power Intake, I went from 19.something to 15.9... ????? :help: is my O2 sensor shot??? Anyone know how to check that? I will research as well... and no cel codes so. Of course as you all know, this is accompanied by a bad transmission. I'm pretty sure there are no fuel leaks, I can neither smell nor see any leaking around the fuel lines. OH yeah I also replugged my charcoal canister, (reconnected may be a better term) so idk if that affects mpg too...

I guess a stock turbo doesn't pull very hard either... my boost gauge NEVER gets up to 8 LoL...

Can't help you on the gas mileage, but I would say it might be tied to your transmission problem if I had to guess. An auto trans has a small amount of slippage built into it, and when they start to go bad the slippage only gets worse. O2 sensor would throw a code afaik if it failed, and you said you had none, so I would look for other possibilities. I don't know enough about the charcoal canister to say on that, just know it's part of the emission control/evap recovery system and it's not a good idea to remove it without installing a vented gas cap:) If you want to directly test whether it's connected to your lost fuel economy, go out and drive the car 50 miles with it connected as it should be, then do the same with dis-connected and compare fuel usage before and after. Make sure the tank is filled till the pump hits it's auto cut-off point before starting the testing, then top off to the same point ( at the SAME pump if possible) after the first 50 miles.

As far as the turbo, stock boost on the auto cars is 6-6.2 pounds. You can get 8 and more out of it by shimming the WG, but I would hold off on that til you get it running @ 100% first. Maintenance before mods my friend.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
boostcraver;1673219 said:
Can't help you on the gas mileage, but I would say it might be tied to your transmission problem if I had to guess. An auto trans has a small amount of slippage built into it, and when they start to go bad the slippage only gets worse. O2 sensor would throw a code afaik if it failed, and you said you had none, so I would look for other possibilities. I don't know enough about the charcoal canister to say on that, just know it's part of the emission control/evap recovery system and it's not a good idea to remove it without installing a vented gas cap:) If you want to directly test whether it's connected to your lost fuel economy, go out and drive the car 50 miles with it connected as it should be, then do the same with dis-connected and compare fuel usage before and after. Make sure the tank is filled till the pump hits it's auto cut-off point before starting the testing, then top off to the same point ( at the SAME pump if possible) after the first 50 miles.

As far as the turbo, stock boost on the auto cars is 6-6.2 pounds. You can get 8 and more out of it by shimming the WG, but I would hold off on that til you get it running @ 100% first. Maintenance before mods my friend.

Agreed, about the mods... I think my biggest priority right now is the steering... it is REALLY bad, my mom drove it around today, and for the first time I was able to hear how bad it is from outside the car, from like 10 ft away I can hear the moaning and groaning from the steering system and the grinding noise as well... I ought to make a video for you guys, it's so ridiculously loud *sigh Next after that is the transmission, which idk how I'm going to get done since I don't have another car... (and I don't know what's wrong with it... if I can get it diagnosed, perhaps its really not that bad) and then after that, suspension overhaul

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

this is my "tear at hair" moment... got myself a trifecta of problems on top of needing to find a place to live in Austin IF my car survives the 2000+ mile trip down there... with no job... time to job hunt

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
lithium14;1673213 said:

Im in the same situation as you. My MPG dropped from 14MPG to 10 to 9. why? the o2 sensor plug to the ECU (theres 3 plugs, the white plug im going to refer to) broke so the computer isn't receiving signal. I hooked up a Air/Fuel Ratio gauge, it reads Stoich, going on to rich & when i step on the gas it goes more to rich & then the gauge completely goes blank, meaning there is no Signal from the o2 Sensor, meaning.. i need a o2 sensor & to fix the dam o2 sensor plug... So GET an o2 Sensor FOR SURE.

True that, stock boost gauge goes to about 6 PSI, aftermarket Auto Meter mechanical read 8 PSI in my car

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
lithium14;1673228 said:
huh... I have no way to test my o2 sensor... But I will take a look at the plug tomorrow to make sure they are ok...

Mines a 52MM Auto Meter Air/Fuel Ratio gauge, connects to ecu signal, not a wideband. im planning to install it on the A pillar pod. The gauge has a ground, 12 volt power & o2 sensor signal. I had it connected directly to the battery with a fuse between, & grounded well but it needs a signal from the o2 sensor in order to kick on. Like i said it works, then i step on the gas & it turns off & when i step on the gas again it kicks on again. I believe it's the o2 Sensor for that reason.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
lithium14;1673232 said:
ahhh ic ic... hmm I'm thinking about taking my car in to toyota for a full tune-up... any opinions on that?

Toyota.... ehhhhhhh.... i only like the dealership for parts. But for tech stuff my old man looks at that. He's a Technician, & i learn from him. when i try doing stuff on my own he'll ignore me & help right about the time im about to screw up or already screwed up. But yea it'd be a good idea to take it to the dealership. Even though sometimes they're evil & don't tell you the complete story so you end up buying stuff you honestly don't need.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
so true... last time I went they said I needed a new steering COLUMN... looking at my problem I don't the column is an issue... its the gears and the whole horizontal structure that needs overhauling... so... toyota for tune-up... got one vote for yes... any others?? LoL