7m runnin twins?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
92TealSupra;1141898 said:
There is a decent manifold on ebay right now to fit twin turbo on a 7m-gte motor check it out just type Supra manifold and look you'll find it, good luck.

$0.02

And what about the piping?

The oil lines?
The down pipes, mid pipes?
The intakes?
The PVC?
The compressor outlet to IC routing?

so many things to address besides just the "manifold"!

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Where is your spirit? Why do we even bother fixing up an old Supra? Because it is different. So why go TT 7M? Because it is different.

Two smal Garrett turbos can be had for very little. Less than a Garrett T4.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Kristian_Wraae;1142044 said:
Where is your spirit? Why do we even bother fixing up an old Supra? Because it is different. So why go TT 7M? Because it is different.

for 400 hp. The Garret GT3072R does nicely. That is a single unit.

To be different. Sure! That like someone shoe horning an LS7 into the MKIII supra, or a TT 1uz/2uz or or or. Different? There is nothing in these cars that has not been tried to make you "standout".

Wait I lie. Perhaps a 12L diesel engine or a turbine engine powered supra.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Look, if you have the money, time, and energy to do it, have at it. If you're some 16 y/o who bought his first supra and thinks 2x turbos are better then one on a Supra I6, just sell the car now. Were just trying to show you, if you start this project, there is a lot more to it then what you may or may not think. This setup is avoided as it can get very complex, not to mention, 2x the turbos, 2x the problems.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
figgie;1142003 said:
And what about the piping?

The oil lines?
The down pipes, mid pipes?
The intakes?
The PVC?
The compressor outlet to IC routing?

so many things to address besides just the "manifold"!

Well starting him off is always a good thing. The manifold would be the starting ground. IC piping I am sure he may be able to figure out, intakes are nothing, PVC? You mean "PCV" That would be easily routed, the route would have to be custom fab'd up, but again I am helping him piece it together.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
92TealSupra;1142143 said:
Well starting him off is always a good thing. The manifold would be the starting ground. IC piping I am sure he may be able to figure out, intakes are nothing, PVC? You mean "PCV" That would be easily routed, the route would have to be custom fab'd up, but again I am helping him piece it together.

:nono: gl with that

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
It's a common misconception that two turbos are better than one.

It will not likely ever be better, just different. Different power band placement and different driving characteristics, but probably not better due to the inefficiency of using two turbines instead of one. Twice the cost, twice the complication, quadrouple the headaches.

I'm a strong advocate that if you really dedicated yourself to doing a true sequential twin turbo 7M and were openly willing to foot the possible 5 figure pricetag, you'd find alot of support here. It'd be one badass car.

If it was just going to be a parrallel twins setup, meh... it's been done, there's no real advantage to it. Think of it this way; you're making 3 cylinders each spool one pint sized turbo instead of 6 cylinders spool one larger turbo. If your goals aren't too lofty, around 500hp per say, it's not hard to do on a good DBB turbo setup ($2500) with a low boost threshold and tolerable lag. Two decent turbos that will spin out 500hp would probably be more than $1250, so just in turbo costs, you're already down money.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still be jelous... but I'll be glad my wallet wasn't the one to take the hit on it. Threads like this are like the 24 hours friends rule: if you see something you want to impulse buy, your friend talks you out of it. If you still want it in 24 hours, go back and buy it. Saves alot of money and alot of remourse.

We're trying to make you understand the insurmountable odds you'll face on the road to a TT 7M, not hating on your decision to do it. That way you don't go in blind and end up stalled on the project or just scrapping it half way though.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Keros;1142196 said:
It's a common misconception that two turbos are better than one.

It will not likely ever be better, just different. Different power band placement and different driving characteristics, but probably not better due to the inefficiency of using two turbines instead of one. Twice the cost, twice the complication, quadrouple the headaches.

I'm a strong advocate that if you really dedicated yourself to doing a true sequential twin turbo 7M and were openly willing to foot the possible 5 figure pricetag, you'd find alot of support here. It'd be one badass car.

If it was just going to be a parrallel twins setup, meh... it's been done, there's no real advantage to it. Think of it this way; you're making 3 cylinders each spool one pint sized turbo instead of 6 cylinders spool one larger turbo. If your goals aren't too lofty, around 500hp per say, it's not hard to do on a good DBB turbo setup ($2500) with a low boost threshold and tolerable lag. Two decent turbos that will spin out 500hp would probably be more than $1250, so just in turbo costs, you're already down money.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still be jelous... but I'll be glad my wallet wasn't the one to take the hit on it. Threads like this are like the 24 hours friends rule: if you see something you want to impulse buy, your friend talks you out of it. If you still want it in 24 hours, go back and buy it. Saves alot of money and alot of remourse.

We're trying to make you understand the insurmountable odds you'll face on the road to a TT 7M, not hating on your decision to do it. That way you don't go in blind and end up stalled on the project or just scrapping it half way though.

I got a HKS twin turbo T25 manifold for free.

Then I found two brand new genuine Garrett T25 turbos on ebay for 600 dollars.

I found someone who can fab up the down pipes and the Y-connectors for very little money and since the manifold is of a car that I have pictures of there is nodoubt about how to run the pipes.

So I don't think there is that much more to it than going single T4 with external wastegate.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
IwantMKIII;1142152 said:
:nono: gl with that

you've got to be joking rousting two hoses into the turbo inlets?

He most likely will not be able to use a afm, and have to go with a stand alone, which would be heaps easier.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
92TealSupra;1142250 said:
you've got to be joking rousting two hoses into the turbo inlets?

He most likely will not be able to use a afm, and have to go with a stand alone, which would be heaps easier.

you're missing the point, so again..... :nono:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Kristian_Wraae;1142044 said:

My "spirit" would be when I did a Twin Turbo L24 in a 240z way back in the 1980's ;)

There is no real reason to do twins on an I-6 these days with modern Turbo's available.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
IJ.;1142334 said:
My "spirit" would be when I did a Twin Turbo L24 in a 240z way back in the 1980's ;)

There is no real reason to do twins on an I-6 these days with modern Turbo's available.

Well when it comes to it there isn't really any reason to do anything ever, is there? Not even running an LPG supra.

In fact, why bother with anything?

As someone once put it "Never ever bloody anything ever! ".

In fact we should all sell our Supras, buy guns instead and blow out our brains.

What is the point about life? No point at all.

Just a huge waste of time. On average 70 years of pure boredom. Going to work, coming home. Having dinner, watching tv. Going to bed. Waking up. Going to work......

For Christ's sake, let me have my 7M-GTTE!!! Quit bashing the little fun that is left in this Godforsaken world.:biglaugh:

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
IJ.;1142369 said:
Come cut my lawn Emo Boy ;)

I can dig up your front yard for you, if you wish....
burnout.gif

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
If I remember right they used to have a manifold for a Twin Turbo setup for the 7M GTE didn't they? like HKS or GReddy made them and they were mainly in Japan and Austrlia but can be found on occasion for sale.

I thought I saw a few a while back mentioned here.

bgrieger

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto
Everyone and their brother in Japanese tuning made a twin turbo kit back in the day. Of course, one only needs to look at the price of the HKS twin kit for the 2J and know there is no real benefit since the advent of the ball bearing turbo to know why nobody does it.

That said, I've been beating my head against the wall for a couple of years putting together my greddy twin kit, but it's only for the personal challenge. In retrospect, if I wasn't this far along, I'd have listened to the little voices in my head and just purchased a GT-35R and an ebay manifold a few years back and be done with it...Feel free to do it for kicks and for you, but if you're not into fabrication and lots of headaches, skip the drama.

indy_mk3

boost-creep
Oct 15, 2007
kelowna
ok guys thanks for the help i really appreciate it but here's the story i bought the car in summer of 07 and bought it with a BHG. So as soon as i got the car i got the HG done at the shop which cost me 2500 yes 2500 so after that i saved up and headed to vancouver to buy new goodies. But unfortunately as soon as i got there i heard a faint knocking sound so i pulled over and checked it out to only find ROD KNOCK! yes 2 days after spending 2500 but instead of getting rid of it i decided to get a used motor imported from japan. I did not have much knowledge but decided to start learning and ended up installing the new 7m and driving her home in a couple of weeks. So time went by and i started learning more and more off of the forum and slowly started to mod. My mods this summer were : ARC delta-flow IC, custom IC piping i made myself, RFL blow off valve and yes i know there shit, .57 CT26, Maft-pro, BIC DDP, custom 3" exhaust, LC-1, H&R springs tokico struts, etc. All of the mods i had done myself in my driveway some in the snow.

But unfortunately this summer on the way back from vancouver i got a BHG on the highway...again. So this time i decided i cant get rid of the car because it holds a lot of sentimental value to me as it taught me how to work on cars. Now dont get me wrong i love the 7M and DO NOT want to get rid of it but sometimes i would look at a 1j and get all excited at the fact that it actually looked like a motor. But i have made my decision to keep the 7m so i was wondering of what i could do with it that would make it unique in its own way. I also own 2 other cars so time and money would not be a problem but i dont know what setup to go with.

Last year i looked at duane and nate's cars in amazment and dont get me wrong i still do because there cars to me are unique and it makes me want to build my supra in my own way that i think is unique. So that is why i started the thread not to hear about how useless it is but to hear other people's opinions and see if anyone out there had ever seen anyone build a mk3 7m TT. So thanks for the support!