7M+5M+6M+M3.....Confused??? :-)

stomis

NA Die Hard
Mar 22, 2010
Jersey Shore
This build is intriguing me to stick with an all NA build... How much power do you suspect your picking up with the ITB's? I'm strongly considering going your 5mge pistons cut for 24v head route to bump compression rather than $700 aftermarket pistons. Only thing is the ITBs are something I dont have the where with all for doing.

The dyno sheet is impressive... 260 to the wheels is no slouch especially if backed with 4.3 gears and weight reduction AND no turbo lag...

PS: Is the 11:1 still safe with decent timing and some 91octane pump gas?

sk6471

Quietly Lurking
May 28, 2005
Texas
It's a good thing that you painted the engine white. It makes the postmortem pics show up so much better.;) At least the stock parts are relatively cheap to replace. With all of the fuel reversion in your engine bay a WOT, I'm amazed the thrown rod didn't spark a fireball. That was a beautiful motor. Keep up the good work.

Jens Lyn

Jan 30, 2007
Denmark
stomis;1554189 said:
This build is intriguing me to stick with an all NA build... How much power do you suspect your picking up with the ITB's? I'm strongly considering going your 5mge pistons cut for 24v head route to bump compression rather than $700 aftermarket pistons. Only thing is the ITBs are something I dont have the where with all for doing.

The dyno sheet is impressive... 260 to the wheels is no slouch especially if backed with 4.3 gears and weight reduction AND no turbo lag...

PS: Is the 11:1 still safe with decent timing and some 91octane pump gas?

Who says anything about hp on the wheel ...i dont.
The hp is calculated on the crank, that is also the kind of hp Toyota always show.
The dyno is more ´precise than one that only measure on the wheels.

The compression is good and not to high. I drive on 95/99 pumpgas without any problems.

Best regards Jens Pedersen

stomis

NA Die Hard
Mar 22, 2010
Jersey Shore
Jens Lyn;1554317 said:
Who says anything about hp on the wheel ...i dont.
The hp is calculated on the crank, that is also the kind of hp Toyota always show.
The dyno is more ´precise than one that only measure on the wheels.

The compression is good and not to high. I drive on 95/99 pumpgas without any problems.

O thats my fault I didnt realize you corrected the numbers to a flywheel number. For some reason I always thought bhp was the non us equiv to whp but after a google search I just realized its exactly the opposite.

That being said I know that octane rating differs throughout the world. Do you have any idea what system you guys use there so I can try to convert or do you pretty much have the same quality and octane levels just different ratings? After a google search: Euro 95 octane is equivalent to US 89 and 98 is equiv to US 91

Also how much power do you suspect your picking up from the ITBs vs a well flowing ported/polished stock intake?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
stomis;1554418 said:
O thats my fault I didnt realize you corrected the numbers to a flywheel number. For some reason I always thought bhp was the non us equiv to whp but after a google search I just realized its exactly the opposite.

That being said I know that octane rating differs throughout the world. Do you have any idea what system you guys use there so I can try to convert or do you pretty much have the same quality and octane levels just different ratings? After a google search: Euro 95 octane is equivalent to US 89 and 98 is equiv to US 91

Also how much power do you suspect your picking up from the ITBs vs a well flowing ported/polished stock intake?

98 here = USA 93

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
IJ.;1555103 said:
Had that here for awhile but it was overpriced so no one bought it...

There's a shell station by our house that sells VP Motorsports 109 at the pump, which is convenient as hell, but it's $8.99 a gallon. It's a lot cheaper to order a 55 gal drum from them.

86.5ny

Apr 26, 2010
OC, NY
I just read this whole thread and I am speechless. As an engineer and a Supra/M3 enthusiast this motor blows my mind. Good luck with the rebuild!

Jens Lyn

Jan 30, 2007
Denmark
Thanks alot :).
It will soon be ready again.

The new block is ready for the machining at the shop and all the other parts are in my hands :).

But i got no job at the time so i just need to relax and save some money for painting and so on.
Hopfully in the start of june the engine will be reving again :).

86.5ny

Apr 26, 2010
OC, NY
Hey, Jens. I've been thinking about this project for the past few days, and i'm wondering what electronics did you use for this build. Also, the fabrication of the m3 ITB's how much work is it and how much money would I expect to work a project such as that? (Just the ITB's, manufacturing and electronics)

Last edited:

Jens Lyn

Jan 30, 2007
Denmark
The electronics is The Electromotive Tec3R and the price on that can be found on the internet. I bought my from my friend , so i didnt payed so much for it.

The price that i gave for the Bmw ITB , then the adapter so it will fit on the 24V head, and the 6 airhorns is about 1000usd.

Then you need the Obx manifold, custom made valve lifters, 295 degrees cams (regrinds), light weight flywheel and clutch, Adjustable camgears, Custom 5mge piston....and many more custom parts. :).

It will take some time to build if it shold be nice, and you need to have a good portion of patience because it aint just a walk in the park ;-).

86.5ny

Apr 26, 2010
OC, NY
hahah yeah I have an extra 7m that i want to learn on, not necessarily take it to the step that you did, more one at a time starting with the standalone ecu and ITB's

Jens Lyn

Jan 30, 2007
Denmark
YES......It is alive again :)

[video=youtube;D4-HuRkV3go]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4-HuRkV3go[/video]

Yes i know.....it didnt start good....But this is also the very first this engine is running....just thought it would be fun to have on video :).
Hope you will enjoy it.

The car is in the garage for the winter now, so how many hp there is in that engine now will first be reviled at spring.
I cant wait....but i have to ;-).

I have done some smalle adjustments after my first attempt, so hopefulley i can get between 260-280hp.
Last was 261hp and 310nm.

Best Regards A boy who love this car :).

Last edited by a moderator: