60ft's and MKIII rear ends

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Oh, I can certainly appreciate the money and effort that goes into proving a setup and reaching goals man. However, I for one can't afford to continually break things in the pursuit of progress. I would rather build something to handle 1000hp and live with 500hp, than to put my car back together every few weeks because something new broke... Different approaches for different folks I guess, and if you can afford to push that envelope, well... more power to you sir.

That said, I beat on my car often enough considering the available facilities around here... am I trying hard enough? Some would say no, but I say when you're the one paying for all the parts I break, then you can judge my driving style all ya want. ;)

Question though, why all this nonsense with the 8" or 8.8"? Why not just go with a 9"? Is it merely for the pursuit of boundaries that you do this, or something else? I figure you would be better off in the long run with something proven to exceed your goals, but that is just my thinking...

SuperRunner

Jun 14, 2007
utah
Because you can get an IRS 8.8 from the wrecking yard for cheap. A 9" would require a custom made IRS housing, and a much larger housing at that. You are not going to gain much more needed strength on the 9 vs the 8.8. The advantage of the 9 is stronger axle shafts. 8.8 I think you can only get 31 spline where as the 9" you can get the 35 spline. To use a 35 spline you would have to have some heavy duty outers $$$$$.

For around $500 you can purchase and outfit an 8.8 with gears and an LSD or spool. Of course a set of custom shafts will set you back 2K, but that goes for any rear that you put in. I have heard of mustang guys splitting the case apart, but a $150 rear housing cover fixes that, and with the Lincoln rear you would want to do that anyway. The cobra cover has better mounting.

Tun_x

Built to do the NASTY!!
Apr 1, 2005
Utah
The reason we want to retain the IRS is remain in the same class.. The 9" is significantly more money for a IRS housing. We cant afford to continually break things either that is why we are choosing to R&D the 8.8. If the conversion can be done at a reasonable cost this may be something that we offer to Monster Performance clients in the future . I believe that success is measured by the goals reached not by the goal itself , as long as one is honest within him or her self in the setting of the goal. Unfortunately for us our goals are very time consuming and costly ........ I simply refuse to give up!

Tun_x

Built to do the NASTY!!
Apr 1, 2005
Utah
wesbeech;1867897 said:
Jason brake any thing else latley?

nope not since spring.

I should take this opportunity to publicly thank Wes and Beech Performance for all there help with the car .. He has delivered top notch parts as well as some custom pieces that always perform.

Last edited:

wesbeech

Beech Performance Motorsports
Feb 26, 2006
Akron Ohio
Tun_x;1867931 said:
nope not since spring.

I should take this opportunity to publicly thank Wes and Beech Performance for all there help with the car .. He has delivered top notch parts as well as some custom pieces that always perform.

Thank you jason.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Suprarunner/Jason, that answered my questions. Glad there are people like you guys to push the Supra boundaries a little. Mind my asking what track you do your testing/tuning at? I'm up here in Rock Springs, a weekend trip down there wouldn't necessarily be out of the question...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Good to know, I'll hit you guys up if we happen to be in the area. Is that the one in Tooele, or is that MMP? I get the two mixed up...

SuperRunner

Jun 14, 2007
utah
Not really related to the thread, but the reason why we are working so hard on the 60ft is because this is the direction the car is going.......

Billet 88mm.

big_little.jpg

K_SHAN

don't taze me bro!
Jul 3, 2009
eagle, IDAHO!
SuperRunner;1867796 said:
35 psi progressive of course. The smoother we can ramp up the power the longer the rear will last, although I am sure it is getting fatigued and can give out at any time. Right now the 20psi takes us half way to the 60, but we need more to keep it going the remainder.

What tire are you guys using? Looks massive or maybe the offset of the rim is just wrong..

SuperRunner

Jun 14, 2007
utah
K_SHAN;1869450 said:
What tire are you guys using? Looks massive or maybe the offset of the rim is just wrong..

28x10.50. Measures 11.50 wide, depending on how the car sits the tire actually rubs on the inside control arm.

K_SHAN

don't taze me bro!
Jul 3, 2009
eagle, IDAHO!
Lets just say.. Lexan windows, No interior, Rewired chassis with a Painless 12circuit, 28x10s (i use on both cars since the DD should be capable of 9's lol) lots of CF ;) I havent posted anything on it since I am currently saving to do the build the motor.. 2jz-gte with a Billet 47-88 attached to a th400. I will do another Build page on it once more parts are assembled

(teaser)
406425_2892311822976_1094444408_n.jpg

398415_2870625360828_980844082_n.jpg