60ft's and MKIII rear ends

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Harrop engineering here in Australia did the Stubs and Axles to my drawings,they're 31 spline, yes I did all the Fab work on the case/subframe, If I had to do it over I'd find something already IRS and adapt it to fit.

10SecondC

Jun 19, 2012
north
DSS here in the states already manufactures an independent 9" housing with a universal front mount. Like what you did, you have to weld on custom mounting tabs. The inner stubs will accept a Porsche style CV joint that DSS uses on all their axles/

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
10SecondC;1854620 said:
DSS here in the states already manufactures an independent 9" housing with a universal front mount. Like what you did, you have to weld on custom mounting tabs. The inner stubs will accept a Porsche style CV joint that DSS uses on all their axles/
That would be my choice then, all of my Custom shit got very expensive very quickly!

Can't beat the 9" for cheap/plentiful gears and ratios, and is near bullet proof if set up correctly.

10SecondC

Jun 19, 2012
north
Gen III Hemi stroked to 426 with 10psi of boost from a 3.0l Techco twin screw and a TR6060 6 speed...Should be right at 750 to the wheels with an easy to tune cam. Pulling this motor out of my 300C when I drop the new 462 in. Currently N/A it's 540 rwhp.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Looking forward to this one, should be a monster of a Mk3... the thought of a 540whp 300c is a scary one indeed.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Tun_x;1854194 said:
We are working on getting the Ford 8.8 to work.

The IRS from a Lincoln? I would love an 31 spline 8.8 it's for nothing other than the LSD options. My only worry is the axles, as I am sure you could make one fit easy enough with a welder.

You planning on retaining the c-clips or going to a 9" style axle?

SuperRunner

Jun 14, 2007
utah
Quick update. We still have our 2nd rear end in and have put down about 20 passes. A couple 1.47's and a fist full of low 1.5's. We have launched without nitrous and lots of boost, and with nitrous with low boost and we have been able to run the car pretty much the same. Next time out we run the car with high boost and nitrous and see if we can get in the 1.3's.

Need to make a few more adjustments on the suspension, seems the front needs to be loosend up a bit and the back tightened and we can get a slighly better weight transfer.

I am deciding to post a pic of the car, but not giving any more track detail....yet. If all goes well, next time out we should hit our first minor goal mark.

drag_tire_mp_sm.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
SuperRunner;1866945 said:
I am deciding to post a pic of the car, but not giving any more track detail....yet. If all goes well, next time out we should hit our first minor goal mark.

drag_tire_mp_sm.jpg
Afraid to share? Anyway, that is pretty impressive to be cutting that quick of a time out of the hole in a car as heavy as ours, high five to you guys. :)

SuperRunner

Jun 14, 2007
utah
Just want to hit a goal with the car before we give out any details. I have already given out too much :)

car levels out at the 30 foot mark, 20psi just isn't enough to keep the acceration rate increasing, so it starts to fall flat. Next time out....35psi out of the hole :)

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
I wouldn't recommend the Lincoln IRS, but 99-04 Mustang Cobras had an IRS. Widely available parts and people have gone 1.5s (and probably faster but I know that number for sure) repeatedly on them. 03-04s had carbon kevlar clutch packs and 31 splines out of the box. DSS makes axles for them as well. 99-01 IRSs usually go for 5-700, 03-04s can run up to a grand.

Have any of you looked into 300ZX rear ends? There is a 2J swapped 240 making a lot of power on one locally. Lot lighter car, though.

K_SHAN

don't taze me bro!
Jul 3, 2009
eagle, IDAHO!
SuperRunner;1866945 said:
Quick update. We still have our 2nd rear end in and have put down about 20 passes. A couple 1.47's and a fist full of low 1.5's. We have launched without nitrous and lots of boost, and with nitrous with low boost and we have been able to run the car pretty much the same. Next time out we run the car with high boost and nitrous and see if we can get in the 1.3's.

Need to make a few more adjustments on the suspension, seems the front needs to be loosend up a bit and the back tightened and we can get a slighly better weight transfer.

drag_tire_mp_sm.jpg

Hmm.. this car looks ridiculously familiar..

SuperRunner

Jun 14, 2007
utah
Quin;1867650 said:
I wouldn't recommend the Lincoln IRS, but 99-04 Mustang Cobras had an IRS. Widely available parts and people have gone 1.5s (and probably faster but I know that number for sure) repeatedly on them. 03-04s had carbon kevlar clutch packs and 31 splines out of the box. DSS makes axles for them as well. 99-01 IRSs usually go for 5-700, 03-04s can run up to a grand.

Have any of you looked into 300ZX rear ends? There is a 2J swapped 240 making a lot of power on one locally. Lot lighter car, though.

Going spool, or aftermarket carrier so it doesn't matter. Paid $35 for the Lincoln, cobra would be like $500+ and we would still need to swap out gears carrier, and both still need custom stub shafts.

If the 300zx is an 8" diff it won't be any stronger, also parts would bed expensive and minimal selection of gears. The 8.8 whether from Lincoln or cobra, internals are swappable and super cheap and lots of options.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
SuperRunner;1867036 said:
Just want to hit a goal with the car before we give out any details. I have already given out too much :)

car levels out at the 30 foot mark, 20psi just isn't enough to keep the acceration rate increasing, so it starts to fall flat. Next time out....35psi out of the hole :)
No worries man, I get that some people like to keep their cards close, nothing at all wrong with that. :)

35psi out of the hole? Who wants to start taking bets on what will let go first? :rofl: Seriously though, that would be sweet.

Quin;1867650 said:
That would be the R200, correct? IIRC, it is an 8" diff. Hell of a stout unit though...

SuperRunner

Jun 14, 2007
utah
35 psi progressive of course. The smoother we can ramp up the power the longer the rear will last, although I am sure it is getting fatigued and can give out at any time. Right now the 20psi takes us half way to the 60, but we need more to keep it going the remainder.

Tun_x

Built to do the NASTY!!
Apr 1, 2005
Utah
te72;1867787 said:
No worries man, I get that some people like to keep their cards close, nothing at all wrong with that. :)

35psi out of the hole? Who wants to start taking bets on what will let go first? :rofl: Seriously though, that would be sweet.

That would be the R200, correct? IIRC, it is an 8" diff. Hell of a stout unit though...

It has been my experience in racing that if stuff isn't "letting go" your not trying hard enough or not really racing. I see to often a video posted of some miraculous time or crazy high #'s on the dyno .... Rarely do you see the hard work that it took to get there or the miraculous event duplicated . So the assumption is that they just bolted some parts on and it happened. Those who drag race will tell you that the race is won and lost in the first 60ft. That being said our focus with the car this summer has been the 60ft times, not to simply get the car to do it once but to do it consistently on very little power every time. Doing this has definitely exposed a weak link in the rear end.

Thanks
Jason@monster-performance.com