1JZ Build..HKS...Greddy..ACT..Chrome..You Might Like It.Dont Hate :)

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
The engine bay is all dirty. This weekend is when I am cleaning it and tucking the wires. The NON-ABS brake lines will be in next Monday.

Headgasket is a new stock one, that came in the Toyota Kit. Clevite Bearings and ARP hardware throughout. Block was cleaned and came out super clean after 2000 grit sandpaper on a glass.

The engine was maintained very well, no carbon build up on the inside, also we were the first to go in. The cylinders were honed for the rings as well. I got a set from Aaron.

I will be sending out the intake manifold, throttle body, valve covers and cam back plate to RBChroming to get them all chromed.

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Sounds like you got it all handled! Just making sure you didnt forget anything, wouldnt want you to forget something stupid and ruin the build. Are you going to run your harness the way I ran mine?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
gurley0916;1635288 said:
Sounds like you got it all handled! Just making sure you didnt forget anything, wouldnt want you to forget something stupid and ruin the build. Are you going to run your harness the way I ran mine?

No problem. Checking, double checking and triple checking cannot hurt. I am going to strip my harness and do the loom over again and degrease all the plugs with electric spray and run it the way you did and cover the stock hole.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Yes, I am West Indian. Country called Guyana in South America. That is me torquing the studs. I hate wearing clean cloths to work, same sweat shirt and pants everytime.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
We put the pistons, rings and bearings in today all once again with ARP hardware. Everything was torqued using molylube. I put on the oil pump and new o-rings in, those were hard to match up even in a Toyota Gasket kit since they were all spread out from over the years. I laid the oil pan setup on the block and covered everything.

Water pump will be going on tomorrow with new o-rings along with the rear main seal retainer and oil pan setup.

a6898918-d03b-8f6d.jpg

a6898918-d052-66de.jpg

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
IJ.;1636349 said:
I usually use 17 tubes per Pan myself ;)

Good to see you went 18 just to be "safe"..

LOL! IJ, I know it shows bad. I hate having leaks and one time we had to pull a 7M again because I was cheap on the silicone and used too little. I wiped away any extra on the inside, not much to begin with. All of it came on the outside, so tomorrow, I am going to take a blade and trim the extra nicely, you will like that IJ.

I did not get anything done today. I was tired, went to school and came home and worked on the engine four days in a row, plus torquing is not easy on the muscles for a skinny guy like me.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I agree with IJ, so I will be using Toyota Red Antifreeze for it's corrosion prevention in the coolant channels and up top but the headgasket.

The R154 is popping out of gear, I ordered a rebuild kit and we will take it apart to see what hard parts we might need. If Marlin Crawler makes it, I will buy it.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Here are some pictures from the pervious owner. Body still looks the same but I will get some interior pictures and some nice pictures after I clean up the engine bay. I hooked up the JDM folding mirriors and they actually work! :)

9tz5lf.jpg
24dr0q9.jpg

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
88mkIIIproject;1636747 said:
looking good man...I miss the hell out of that car! :cry:

glad you are able to put the money into it that she needs.

keep it up!

^Previous Owner.

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

gurley0916;1636751 said:
Looks really clean muffler needs to go though :sarcasm:

LOL! I Know. It was done very neatly, not hacked up and just thrown together. I am going to pick up a Apexi N1 or another one and see. That will be the last part though. Still waiting for the head to come from the machine shop. Pretty big stuff I have them doing....;)

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

I am planning to change the front bumper to an 89+ from Toyota, 89+ mouldings sprayed the same color as the car, 89+ climate control and the JDM MKIV steering wheel. :)

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

I have been lazy and have not done anything on the engine for the past two days. Had to take a break because of school work, so tomorrow I am going to put on the waterpump, clean the deck of all the assembly lube that is on there. Then bolting on the engine mount and waiting for the head. While I will be waiting for the head, I am going to get started on the engine harness and strip all the old loom off of it and put new loom along with fixing any old plugs.

Anyone have experience on putting a new oil pressure gauge in the stock location? I plan on putting an AEM oil pressure gauge where the stock one is and where the stock boost gauge is now, I want to put the AEM oil temperature there as well. I just don't like the fact of cutting there and possibly damaging the traces for the rest of the cluster.

Last edited:

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Did not get anything done because of my classes and school work. I should be cleaning the engine bay this weekend since it will be nice. 59 degrees on Saturday, better than the 42 we had last weekend. Still waiting on the head from the machine shop. Going to take a trip down there and check out the progress and take some pictures of the workshop if I am lucky. :)

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
UPDATE:

We had really nice weather today up here in NY so I started to wash the engine bay. I cleaned it pretty darn good and stripped all of the electronics out of it, excluding the ABS unit since that is being removed.

I removed the cruise control and tucked those wires under the fender. I left the stock pressure sensor for the gauge in the cluster out but I am going to put that one since I am deciding to put AEM gauges in replacement of those two stock gauges in the cluster.

I have a set of NON-ABS brake lines that I picked up from a SupraForums memeber and will be installing that along with a new NON-ABS master cylinder. Thanks for the tip Gurley. I will also be looming the whole engine bay and stripping all the old loom off first, no shortcuts here. I am going to pull out the stock 1JZ intercooler, pulled some stock piping off already, and that will be for sale, so you can call it now.

Tomorrow I am going to out back the fuse box on using electrical grease on all of my connectors, installing the NON-ABS lines and master cylinder and remove the ABS unit, finish the wire tuck and looming and then wipe everything down again and cover it back up and wait for the head from the machine shop.

Before

a68988d2-3d7c-a924.jpg

a68988d2-3d9e-b6eb.jpg
a68988d2-3dbb-8a93.jpg

a68988d2-3ddb-67a8.jpg
a68988d2-3e02-c5e4.jpg

After

a68988d2-3e25-4cc8.jpg
a68988d2-3e41-2f89.jpg
a68988d2-3e5d-cf7b.jpg
a68988d2-3e7a-0844.jpg

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Loomed and wire tucked the driver side. The old loom took extrememly long to cut off since it was extrememly brittle.

Brakes and more wire tucking next weekend. I should get the head back this week, which means more pictures. I am going to be filling those holes and painting as well.:)
a6898845-6bef-2cd9.jpg