1JZ Build..HKS...Greddy..ACT..Chrome..You Might Like It.Dont Hate :)

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
So I picked up this 88 Light Blue Front Clip Swapped 1JZ With A Set Of Volks, 89 conversion except the front bumper and cluster with and the cleanest stock interior I have seen. Interior is blue as well. The car also had a 3in exhaust with a flowmaster muffler.

I drove down to Fairfax, Virgina about weekends ago and pick up the car. Bought it from a guy who didn't want to fix the car. It was well kept interior wise and the body was spotless. We agreed on a good price an I took the car and brought it back with a U-Haul. My fifth Supra....

We pulled out the engine yesterday and stripped it down. It got late and we left the head on, but the car did have ARP flywheel bolts. :). Maybe some ARP on the inside too? Hope so, will know this afternoon!

I cannot help but say, and said it many times getting the engine out, it was a great swap. The person bought a front clip and sued everything to make this swap perfect and clean. Even the EVAP sensor under the intake was hooked up. Car has A/C and power steering which works.

Mod List
1JZ ARP Head Studs
1JZ ARP Main Stud
1JZ Rings/Bearings
1JZ Gasket Set
1JZ Thermostat
1JZ Toyota Radiator Hose Set
Koyo Radaitor
1JZ Fan Clutch
1JZ Fan Blade
1JZ AFPR
1JZ 60-1 Turbo Kit
ACT HD Clutch Six Puck

Headwork
Plain Head
HKS 264
HKS Cam Gears
Springs And Retainers (Suggestions?)
Valve Seal/Valve Grind
Port And Polish
HKS Timing Belt

I plan on breaking in the engine using the stock fuel system, the 370CC, then upgrading the rail, -8 fuel feed and -6 return along with a walbro intank and walbro inline pump. Should be enough for my power goals. Maybe dual intank instead.

Tuning will happen after my engine is broken in. I will drive the car even after the engine is broken in with the stock fuel system. Spring is when I will do the fuel upgrade. I will be getting a Stinger and plug and play harness from Driftmotion.

Pictures
a6898a51-7957-09de.jpg
a6898a51-79b5-80c8.jpg

a6898a51-7984-7323.jpg
a6898a51-79d3-b891.jpg

Last edited:

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Hey, good luck with this car bro. I've met Patrick and seen the car in person. Clean swap and all was well done. Keep it in great shape. Where are you from?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
We took off the head this afternoon. The pistons are rocking on the bore, so a set of rings will be needed. Bore is still in spec.

I am going to get a ring set from DriftMotion and now ARP rod bolts and main studs.

I NEED BOTH UPPER AND LOWER 1JZ PLASTIC COVERS.

Pictures
a689894d-e58d-fa82.jpg
a689894d-e5a8-6505.jpg
a689894d-e5c6-511f.jpg
a689894d-e5ed-92af.jpg

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Wow. I just found THREE 1JZ ECU's. They were behind the drivers seat. They all work too. Tried it on my friends 1JZ and it works. If you need one PM me.

Head is at the machine shop and waiting on parts from Greddy and DriftMotion.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Yes, it is a broken knock sensor. I have a spare too, so that is okay.

Just ordered my HKS Camshafts. I didn't like the quality of BC cams, if you have a pair, no offense.

The head is at the machine shop, soon as I get the cams I will take it to them for the valve lashes. Also getting Cam gears too.

I am also sending a load of parts to RBChroming.

I am going to clean the engine bay, fill, sand, prime, paint and wore tuck the body harness along with new loom for my engine harness and body harness that will be showing. I like doing this neatly and the right way.

What are you guys doing for an Oil cooler setup?

More pictures to come soon. :)

Last edited:

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Wait until all the goodies come in next week. Changing plans on the turbo and getting a SP Quick Spool valve.

Still getting my oil cooler setup going. I need a front lower timing cover if anyone has one.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I was talking to Tek on here about it. He used it on his 7M, so I am expecting boost a little early on my 1JZ....:) All the good stuff will be here next week. Just ordered the HKS 264, talk about a chunk of the wallet. Aaron should be shipping a lot of parts to me, all internals. This weekend, I am going to clean, fill, paint and loom the whole engine bay along with a neat wire tuck on the passenger side and eliminate the cruise control on the driver side.

Last edited:

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Pulled the pistons and crank last night. You can still see the factory crosshatch. The bore is in excellent shape, no ridge at the top either.

Bearing and crank had not scouring on either of them. Engine barely had carbon build up on the inside as well. Oil changes look to be up to date and everything was stock on the inside, so I was the first to pick the cherry. We all like that. :)

Pictures
a6898a25-4e15-b12c.jpg
a6898a25-4e45-7e38.jpg

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Goodies Came In....Everything to lock up the engine and bolt the head on. Just waiting on the machine shop. Took the camshafts today so the lashes can be set after the valve grind.
a689897b-9f29-7467.jpg
a689897b-9f4d-437f.jpg
a689897b-9f6e-a78b.jpg
a689897b-9f9a-3c3c.jpg

HKS? :)
a689897b-9fc3-3c76.jpg

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
So I went to the machine shop today to drop off my Camshafts and he brought the head out for my to take a look at. It was hot tanked and was getting ready to go in once again. Looked decent to me and they don't paint any head so no covering up the dirt. :)

Bad new is that it is going to take three weeks for them to hot tank, mill, grind valves and hand lap them, port and polish the head, install valve seals and then set the valve lashes. I have them the torque specs for the Camshaft caps, which is 14 ft/lb and also gave them the valve clearance for the intake and exhaust side as well, just to be on the safe side. Don't want a bunch of loose marbles under there when I start it up. I cannot blame them for taking a long time since I said, "Take your time because I don't want a rushed job and want it done right." I am also throwing in springs and retainers, so you can say I am going all out where this head is concerned.

I still have the order:

Turbo Kit
Exhaust Nut Set
Exhaust Stud
Fan Blade
Fan clutch
Front Mount Intercooler
AFPR
Samco JZA70 Hose Kit
ACT Extreme HD Clutch Kit
Stainless Steel Clutch Hose

I am also sending out my valve covers, intake manifold and back plate(The one behind the cam gear) to get chromed. This weekend, I should be washing the block, painting it and dropping in the pistons with new rings, clevite bearings, oil pump, water pump and then bolting on the oil pan. Everything I can do while waiting for the head, I am going to take care of.

I am looking for a set of NON ABS FRONT BRAKE LINES. If you have some, let me know. I will need the proportion valve as well that is on the driver side. I am going to get that huge ABS booster and tuck all the harness out of the way, very similar to Gurley's engine bay in his thread. Thanks for those tips man.

Pictures
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
The shop was busy today so I could not do much. I did manage to give the block a good cleaning. I got it pretty clean and washed everywhere with diseal and brake cleaner. Then blew all the oil channels and coolant channels out with the air compressor.

I then took all the bolts and ran them on the wirebrush wheel we have and cleaned them up nicely. Tomorrow, I am going to give the block another washing and blow it out once again, clean the pistons and then start dropping in the bottom half with all the ARP goodies, then wait for the head from the machine shop.
a68988a3-cc34-b4cb.jpg

Pictures
a68988a3-cbe5-bd35.jpg
a68988a3-cc00-fbb1.jpg
a68988a3-cc5c-423a.jpg

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Today the crankshaft was dropped in and the Mains were torqued down using ARP hardware. Pistons going in tomorrow. Little by little, school and classes are keeping me busy. Yes, I am pretty Geeky and nerdy.

a6898b1a-8be7-d0cf.jpg

a689897e-8a49-ec48.jpg
a689897e-8a70-b692.jpg
a6898b1a-8c08-cdae.jpg

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Looking good so far!! No problem on the tips...Did you get the top of the block lapped at all? It looks clean so I was unable to see. If not I highly suggest you lap it with a lapping plate so you can get a clean finish for that metal Headgasket... BTW what are you doing for a HG? A new stock one or a aftermarket one? Did you get the Cylinders rehoned to freshen them up before you put new rings in? Did you put in all new bearings as well?

Lets get some pics of the supra and not just the motor work :p ... I want to see that Engine bay!