1J Spring Break Build + MK2 7M Build

jnianekeo

Oct 27, 2005
Mill Creek, WA
Hey guys,

The Mk2 is doing pretty good, I basically ended up restricting the Idle air control valve so the car would idle normally. Due to that, Cold starts are a pain... Other than that, it gets better gas mileage than the 5m that was in before! Ultra light weight with good power makes such a huuuuuge difference, honestly I think it can take the 1J.

The exhaust sounds great, but its right behind the ear, and realllllly loud... so planning on doing the 3inch out and muffler.

I'm learning, slowly about preventative maintenance. Broke as me, I must be forced to replace a part. But, I'm trying my best.

With this new setup (suspension and 1J) I cant seem to keep it straight! :evil2: Always sideways... On the on ramp today, 1st through 4th was useless! Lolz, I need 275s in da rear. :naughty:

Water pump coming tmrw! I have a set of seals, but I was told that if they were dry, to keep em in, :dunno: I was told by Nate and a few others.

Last edited:
jnianekeo;1004392 said:
Hey guys,

The Mk2 is doing pretty good, I basically ended up restricting the Idle air control valve so the car would idle normally. Due to that, Cold starts are a pain... Other than that, it gets better gas mileage than the 5m that was in before! Ultra light weight with good power makes such a huuuuuge difference, honestly I think it can take the 1J.

The exhaust sounds great, but its right behind the ear, and realllllly loud... so planning on doing the 3inch out and muffler.

I'm learning, slowly about preventative maintenance. Broke as me, I must be forced to replace a part. But, I'm trying my best.

With this new setup (suspension and 1J) I cant seem to keep it straight! :evil2: Always sideways... On the on ramp today, 1st through 4th was useless! Lolz, I need 275s in da rear. :naughty:

Water pump coming tmrw! I have a set of seals, but I was told that if they were dry, to keep em in, :dunno: I was told by Nate and a few others.

Anyway, as I promised, a few pics of her all shiny!

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Super DUPER NICE!!!
Cant wait to see it next week

jnianekeo

Oct 27, 2005
Mill Creek, WA
I finally found the time to do my single turbo setup. I did the swap overnight on the weekend. The twins were such a pain to get off, it isnt even funny. I spent about 3 hours taking it off. most of the time was spent on the exhaust studs on the mafold. :icon_evil But eventually I got em out.

I've been running single turbo for about a 2 weeks now. I was first boosting 8psi at first. then I managed to get my Boost controller installed and bumped it up to the stock twin pressure-(~12psi). And until recently I bumped it up to about 13-14psi. I'm still waiting on my FCD. and more tuning. THE car is Super loud when the waste gate opens. But pretty quiet at idle and normal driving. I installed a cheap 3"high flow muffler to deafen the sound a bit.

As far as my setup is concerned:

Here's what I used:

T3 Garret 60-1 Turbo
XS manifold
Custom 3" downpipe
K&N 4" intake
Basic Oil lines from Western Fluid dynamics
440cc JDM 2J injectors
SAFCII
Auber EGT sensor
Ultra Turbo timer
HKS FCD(wrong one!)
reused a bunch of random pipes lines etc.

I'm still looking for a 4" intake pipe with a slight bend so my filter doesnt rest on my coolant pipe and bend the filter! looks ugly!

I had the car Dynoed today during a BMW Dyno event at Carb Conn in Kirkland using their DynoJet. I was extremely lean when I first got on the dyno and we did a small 10min tune and got it all figured out. I decided to just keep it around stock boost levels and get my tuning straightened out first and here's what I did. The boost reading is high by 2-3 psi. so i was somewhere around ~13-14psi.

Heres how it did on close to stock boost:

DynoJet
p1045328_1.jpg

Pictures to come!!!

Last edited:

jnianekeo

Oct 27, 2005
Mill Creek, WA
I have a small Lincold Mig welder... it gets the job done, but its not pretty. This is my first "custom" downpipes. and welding is not YET a specialty of mine! dont laugh! i have no leaks! yay!

Half of the wastegate dump pipe was welded by the person i got it from, The rest was welded by me.

2559008191_c89f50d899_b.jpg

2559831560_d88701363e_b.jpg

2559831220_d235fbcddd_b.jpg

2559830788_26a4bd923a_b.jpg

2559830410_95a33653ec_b.jpg

2559830056_3eb67b7466_b.jpg

2559829604_8820cf5fb3_b.jpg

2559829232_c2deda1c06_b.jpg

2559005247_8a90613f09_b.jpg

2559818086_5b70ed6cbc_b.jpg

jnianekeo

Oct 27, 2005
Mill Creek, WA
Sounds great, wish it was closer. maybe I could get a few people up there for an event to help out. When are your events? whats the cost? how many pulls? baseline? What kind of dyno is it?

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
great job on helping out your friend swap a 7m into the mark2, did you find the green COR wire was stopping your pump from starting?
Great to see you learning to weld also, its a real accomplishment to make somthing yourself and have it work, although for a DP its nice to use mandrel bent pipe as it flows a little better and its a hell of a lot less cutting and welding, also cuts down on the chances of leaks...look forward to seeing some more pics as you continue to modify:icon_bigg

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
hows that clutch working out, on the 1JZ?

I might use the same setup, i have a pressure plate sitting and won't make much power for a little while. :)

jnianekeo;1045569 said:
Sounds great, wish it was closer. maybe I could get a few people up there for an event to help out. When are your events? whats the cost? how many pulls? baseline? What kind of dyno is it?

They usually charge around 40, 3 pulls with graph, but truthfully we just like to see numbers so it isnt really rushed or anything. You just come and have fun. :) I am sure there will be a dyno event soon.

jnianekeo

Oct 27, 2005
Mill Creek, WA
Zumtizzle;1045586 said:
hows that clutch working out, on the 1JZ?

I might use the same setup, i have a pressure plate sitting and won't make much power for a little while. :)

It's doing great, the chatter is not too bad, I'd imagine it being worse with a High pressure plate. but the stock one is holding up just fine, Its almost like an on/off switch, but takes getting used to. No slipping yet.. :icon_razz

wiseco7mgt;1045583 said:
great job on helping out your friend swap a 7m into the mark2, did you find the green COR wire was stopping your pump from starting?
Great to see you learning to weld also, its a real accomplishment to make somthing yourself and have it work, although for a DP its nice to use mandrel bent pipe as it flows a little better and its a hell of a lot less cutting and welding, also cuts down on the chances of leaks...look forward to seeing some more pics as you continue to modify:icon_bigg

thanks!
Ya, The MK2 is running great. I did find the Green wire, I guess andy's write up is not complete for the car.

I wold have loved to have used a mandrel bender but I have no access to one. Chop, cut and weld isnt too bad. I should have made more cuts to smoot out the bends, but I was in a little rush to get it done (all nighter).

Update:
I'm getting my FCD soon and I'm looking for some 550s now... I want 400!
Also need to find myself a FPR.

claytonwes_2

Oct 18, 2010
sequim washington
Old Thread but my buddy just bought your old mk2. got it for 1200 with an extreme rich. black smoke like a diesel. it was a big boost leak. changed the plugs. it keeps up with my single 1j mk3 now. we are up in port angeles on the peninsula.