zombie supra or bringing the dead back to life.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
With the diff leak you just need to get some seals from the dealer. They're not expensive, I think they were only $10 or 15 each. I bought them to fix a leak on mine and then it stopped leaking, so I haven't done them yet. (Yes, it's full. No, it didn't stop leaking cause it's empty.)

tfhorst

Nov 2, 2011
pittsburgh
I think she will make an great freeway monster, esp when I get into the flat states where people cruise at 95. Ever drive through mi? I was doing 90 and people were passing me like I was standing still, wish pa was like that.

She is low miles, the more I get into ripping her down the more I relize she has been pretty well taken care of. I found the tag for the garage he used and I think I will swing by and see what has been done to her.

Thanks for the reassurance on the diff, I did a flush today, nothing stuck to the magnet. and after cleaning the mess off of the outside I will know if it was just shrinkage from sitting or not.

I pulled the fenders today, really odd how some things rusted right through and parts right next to it show no signs of it. Cake getting them off, broke a few bolts cause I forgot it got hit on the one side. Lucky for me my neighbors kid was around with his small hands to help.

Get the fiberglass one being droped of on wed. Hope they don't have those gay ass vents on them but free is free. Looks like I might be getting a free fuel pump too, walbro knock off, but again free is free. Will worry about upgrades when I decide where I am going with them.

I am starting to really like this car, so easy to work on.IMG_20111107_165906.jpgIMG_20111107_165930.jpg

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
xzeror;1774888 said:
good luck on trying to make the supra a road trip car lol :)
Hey, they can make great road trips. All 3 Supras I've owned have made at least one, if not multiple trips from Wyoming to Arizona at varying times of year. All three went without any major issues. Partially lucky, partially well planned/maintained...

tfhorst;1774970 said:
Get the fiberglass one being droped of on wed. Hope they don't have those gay ass vents on them but free is free. Looks like I might be getting a free fuel pump too, walbro knock off, but again free is free. Will worry about upgrades when I decide where I am going with them.

I feel like Zoidberg here, "again, with the shortcuts..?". If your car runs lean as a result of that fuel pump, don't say nobody warned you. Some things you can get away with using cheap or knock off parts on our cars, but some (thing like fuel system parts, turbos, wastegates, etc...) you're just asking for trouble.

tfhorst

Nov 2, 2011
pittsburgh
Thanks dmp, your the first to suggest I. Take this $500 car and treat it like a $500 car. I got this car cause it is cheap and pretty reliable if I take care of it. My other choice being a 944 n/a that would have cost me 4 times as much (2000) but was just rebuilt by a porsha mechanic. I love driving 944's but it could break me if say the clutch or highspeed drivshaft goes. (Only stock car I have driven that I could put more than 45 degrees out and not even have it cross my mind that I couldn't just pull her right back) but there is no profit margian there.

That truth, sad as it may be to some of you, is that I probably not modding this car, I will bring her back, make her purr, love her like the sweet but chubby and not so quick girl she is then sell her to someone who mods supras so I can buy my next toy. (Anyone know of a standard s4 laying round)

The knock off is rated higher than the walbro in output and I would be really suprized
if it didn't last just as long (not that that is impressive) given I don't have a turbo.

Knock off is a dirty word but doesn't mean bad, I am wighting this on my iphone knockoff (android) and since the dice I rolled buying a non-running car haven't settled yet. I will skimp and save my $ incase I find that the clutch is gone ir the rings are shot or god knows what else. I am also running the factory head still and we all know what that means, and don't worry te72, I am not going to skimp on that, I don't mind dropping the tank again in the spring for a new fuel pump, that is an afternoon in the sun, wasteing the 8 hours work it takes me to change a head? Well worth a trip to the metal shop and the extra 200 in parts.

Last edited:

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I dunno, I like the 2 tone.

I would NOT use sea foam on any engine that I own. Ever. I don't like it, but that's my personal opinion. I can't see it doing anything that good oil and fuel won't do.

If it's sat long enough for the fuel pump to die, I'd be checking things under the hood. Heater core valve, EGR operation, PS rack for starters. I'd probably replace the water pump on general principle, as well as timing belt (belts in general) and front and rear main seals before ruinning it for any length of time. I'd also pull all 6 fuel injectors and bench test/clean them before even firing it up the first time, and replace the O rings.

You're almost guaranteed to need new brakes on all 4 corners before driving, but by all means, get it started first.

For overall plans for the car, I'd evaluate the rust situation further before committing to anything. (Though my car is a pretty bad example to go by.) You won't know about bushings and such until you drive it a bit, but I'd bet on the struts being toast after sitting so long.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I was just throwing it out there, but if it's not even turbo, that lessens the risks I was imagining. Just seem too many melted pistons in my time on here and on other cars... Nothing wrong with treating a $500 car as one though, might as well enjoy it for what it cost ya. :)