Yhatzee89's Second-Hand Supra Build Thread

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Well this is the new toy. bought it in SC for $6500 off craigslist cuz i couldnt sleep that night. its a '91 targa with an auto trans and a whole plethera of upgrades that i feel have no buisness in the car. the previous owner, from what i was told, was trying to build a drag car with it (and failed miserably IMHO). i was into the Supra's before i deployed and own an '87 NA with a BHG back home in MO. when i saw the chance to step up to the turbo side of life i took it.*

All my pics are located here:*http://photobucket.com/Yhatzee89
ALSO: ANYTHING I REMOVE OFF THIS CAR IS FOR SALE, INCLUDING THE 7M, JUST ASK!

the car as i saw it on CL
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

the engine when i got it.
when i first drove it, it seemed very sluggish, turns out that the guy had turned down the boost and fuel as low as possible. we turned up the fuel just so that we could make it home to MD. on the way home it only ever got up to 5lbs when i floored it. we fixed this when we got home when we found the boost controller. it will now make around 10-15lbs depending on how hard you push it. it was also running dual straight pipes all the way back and looked terrible and sounded even worse. whenever i had a muffler put on and could actually hear the engine, i found out its knocking. this was the final straw and it convinced me to go 1JZ like i had wanted to in my '87
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

the "upgrades"
this is all the stuff that is on the car right meow (but not for much longer)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

the Interior
the seats in the car when i first picked it up were terrible, duct taped and had some hideous dragon seat covers on them. there was even chevrolet floor mats. the back seat had been partially deleted but he had left the backs, which i dont mind actually (maybe someday ill make some CF seats for back there lol). but the steering wheel was a joke, it was a momo knock off that was so small it made me feel like i was driving a littletikes car. luckily for me i had just bought a set of Recaro black and grey leather seats from a guy down in SC a few weeks prior. these were made for a JZA70 and had some wear on them but they were beautiful seats nonetheless. the guy also gave me a black and grey leather momo steering wheel (a full sized real one) with the mounting hub. these quickly replaced the trashed seats and useless steering wheel in the car and made it look 100X better. the car also has no radio at the moment, the PO had replaced it with some switches. so i recently bought a kenwood touchscreen exactly like the one i installed in my truck with Garmen GPS (so i wont ever be confused on how to work the system in either vehicle)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

New head unit
sm_photo_missing.jpg

hey i fit!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

AWAITING INSTALL!!!
1JZ that I bought off Cl out of a soarer
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

UPDATE: 24OCT2012

Got some parts in today for the Evo rear BBK that I got because the BBK I thought I was getting with the car:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Turned out to be:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

And so...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Also got this HKS cluster in from eBay , not sure what to do with the GCC but the boost controller will get used
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

and my new lip since mine drags if I don't tape it up :/
sm_photo_missing.jpg

UPDATE: 30OCT2012

Got my shipment of swap goodies from DriftMotion today:
Beautiful down pipe
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Belts
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Power steering bracket
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Oil pressure adapter
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Brackets and mounts
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I decided to be responsible and get the gasket and seal kit, too bad I have no idea where to start with this. And to top it off, I forgot to order ARP head studs, had to place another order :/
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Throttle cable
sm_photo_missing.jpg

PS reservoir*
sm_photo_missing.jpg

2JZ clutch fan
sm_photo_missing.jpg

See anything missing?
sm_photo_missing.jpg

UPDATE 01/25/13:

well alot has happened since last update, i saw the dash light up today when i ran the power cable and it was amazing after of being just a REALLY expensive shell , i have the 1JZ in, im just dealing with the electrical at the moment. there is a couple of plugs that i have no idea what they go to. ive also got the exhaust installed and finished and it looks F'ing AWESOME. my biggest problem at the moment is un-fucking the hack-job that the PO did to this car. i also brought my old rims from missouri and put them on, they are staggared and give the whole car a more aggressive look. ive also finished a little project with the mirrors that i hope will make the car that much better. i also just purchased a shadow grey interior that i hope to pair with Recaro back seat and door panels (that I plan to make myself) to compliment the Recaro's that i have meow.

as it sits meow:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

trying to fix the PO's electrical nightmare... (note the TRD pedals)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

new tires on the front

Tanabe hyper madalion exhaust installed
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Awesome heated power folding mirror project:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

power folding/heated mirrors. this took a little bit of research and its kinda awsome cuz the euro-spec mirrors are the right style glass vs. the RHD style JDM glass. (still need to install, but have completed the retrofit)
JDM vs euro mirror glass

euro glass holder

JDM holder, i had to cut the hole a little bit bigger for the heater wire

front and back of finished glass

inside of power folders

Trunk battery
this is how it used to look
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

now...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

electrical that confuses me

Cam at Tweak'd Performance has been a tremendous help with this process (awesome customer service) but this is what i have left...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

interior updates:

this is how i fixed the torn RECARO decals
sm_photo_missing.jpg

new horn button
sm_photo_missing.jpg

new TRD E-brake handle (CnC aluminum)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

my other steering wheel options
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

my new FMIC (out of an EVO)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

my GPS head unit
sm_photo_missing.jpg

UPDATE 08/02/13

Project for the interior
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

HKS parts for the build
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Really wish I had some different gauges in Lbs/F.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

UPDATE 10/12/14
Well unfortuneately the car has veen down for over a year. I took a couple of long distance trips in it before it crapped out on me. But these trips brought some serious electrical issues to light. They also resulted in a couple of major issues with my wheels and tires. Ive sorted out a lot of issues and here are the majority of them

1JZ is obviously installed, had it finished up by a shop in Baltimore

Got one of these just because

I also swapped out my E-fans for a 2JZ clutch fan

I also replaced the vented hood with a completely stock one

Replaced my carpet with black

Also died my hatch carpet

Swapped in my TRD Momo steering wheel, its grown on me and I like it better than my grey one

Also picked up these for my gauge cluster that im having redone soon

Went from these…

…to these

Got a set of Tokico Illumina-IIs with RSR race springs and installed them with Moog bumpstops and energy suspension spring isolators

Got a set of 8” Starion/Conquest rims and had them powder coated and got a set of TRD center caps for them

One piece aluminum drive shaft

Picked up a set of rear TTR badges and installed a TRD grille badge

UPDATE 10/26/14

my parents went and picked up my car from the shop for me and sent me this...

Last edited:

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Yeah but it's over a G to get them worked over and at that point I might as well buy the DM turbo kit.... :/
Yeah it really worked out for me, they were gonna go into the '87 but I think it really looks sick with the grey interior. I even added TRD stickers in place of the torn up RECARO decals, they look awesome meow

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
The doors on the Supra are HEAVY, its possible do get it done but you will be spending some good coin on a system just to keep them secure. Plus, your car being a targa, it would'nt be a good idea. The doors are an important part of the body, expecially when the targa is off. So having them flex any from the most secure part wouldnt be good.

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Haha I saw this car on CL and was like no way! car looked like a wreck and I low balled him.... glad it went to a new home and with someone who will actually do it right :) best of luck man!

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Chapel hill huh? I used to pick my buddies up from there every weekend when I was at Bragg lol.
As far as doin it right, that's the goal but I've never done anything this involved before and I'm kinda nervous lol
What made you think the car was previously wrecked?

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Update 02/08/13

jessemkiiis;1910742 said:
im impressed, should be a beast when your done. definatly looking forward to more pics and maybe a video?

I'm actually movin your way here in the next couple months, how is the Supra community down around GA/AL?