Yet another smoking issue thread

rdaigle44

Mar 6, 2014
Tinley Park, IL
Hey guys I'm almost at my wits end with this one. I've searched high and low for answers to no avail. I need some help. My car is smoking and ONLY when it's up to operating temp. It does not smoke on startup or decel and I just replaced the valve stem seals this past week. I'm leaning towards turbo seals but though I'd reach out to you guys to see if anyone else has had the same issue. There are no traces of oil on either side of the turbo and it's not a bhg. There is no oil in the spark plug galley (I fixed that).

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
im not sure what you have as far as aftermarket turbo/oil lines but mine did a very similar thing.

didint smoke at all cruising that i could tell, decel or accel. only smoked at operating temp idle
had a kinked drain line. eneded up going up -12An from the turbo straight down to the oil pan, no more smoking problems at all

i ran an hx35-62. -4feed -12return

rdaigle44

Mar 6, 2014
Tinley Park, IL
Well I checked my oil return line and found no kinks. I think I'm going to remove the turbo later today. From my experience cars I've worked on that are leaking coolant into the combustion chambers smoke all the time. Not to mention the smoke coming out of the tailpipe smells like burning oil. A little history on this motor: bought the car from a friend a few months ago motor was rebuilt a couple years ago and only has about 900 miles on it. .40 over w/ Mahle rings metal hg arp hardware balanced and blueprinted 60-1 ct26 full 3" exhaust cx racing Fmic. The reason I question the turbo is because it was rebuilt about 10 years or so ago then my buddy's cousin blew a hole in the block. :) the turbo has been untouched since then but only has about 1000 miles on it. But I don't know who built the turbo.

rdaigle44

Mar 6, 2014
Tinley Park, IL
image.jpgimage.jpgOk long story short, tore down my turbo this past weekend. Exhaust side was wet and covered in crap. During disassembly I noticed that there was a part that is in the rebuild kit that completely missing from my turbo. Parts explosions of the ct26 show that this "extra part" is supposed to be there. Was that why it was seeping oil out of the exhaust sides? Has anyone else run into this problem? We'll anyways, I should have the turbo back in by this weekend. I will keep updating.

:nono:

rdaigle44

Mar 6, 2014
Tinley Park, IL
Update. The turbo is the reason my car is smoking. It still smokes even after I rebuilt the turbo. Not sure at this point if there is a crack in the center section I just didn't get back together quite right. I will tear the turbo down again this weekend to find out.