Yet Another Clutch Problem

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
I searched and didn't quite find a thread that had highlighted the same issue I'm having.

I can't depress my clutch pedal at all. The car won't crank because of this. Does this seem to be a hydraulic issue? I'm thinking it's more along the lines of the clutch fork or something! :confused:

Steps leading to the problem:

- I was accelerating onto the highway.
- I went to change into 4th gear and the clutch pedal stuck to the floor. I was not able to ease it back up so I had to merge over.
- The car was still running at this time as I got it into neutral.
- Eventually I was able to force the clutch pedal back up with my foot. The car was still running.
- I went to depress the pedal again and the car stalled.
- Then I tried to depress the pedal and it wouldn't move and hasn't since.

Let me know if you have any ideas!

Thanks,

Ron

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Snapring popped off the throwout bearing hub.

Usually from not assembling it all correctly.

Been there way too many times with a shop, ended up doing it myself and having to buy all the parts from the dealer (the snap ring will spin if not assembled right and will machine off the lip that keeps it on).

The reason it stalled is because the clutch fork ground against the pressure plate, and it's also why it won't start.

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
Thanks Poodles. I managed to take a look at it today. I took the inspection plate off and found that the clutch fork is hanging on with 1 bolt. The other I guess is somewhere in the clutch housing floating around. :3d_frown:

So my next question is do I have to drop the tranny to fix this? I'm guessing I do!

Here's a pic to illustrate what I found:

p1359438_1.jpg

You can see the bottom left bolt is missing while the other one is loose and can be turned by hand!

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
Took another look and found the missing bolt. Well only half of it. The other half is still in the thread. One of the local supra owners came over and confirmed I'll need to drop the transmission. Are there are tips/tricks that anyone has or is it 'follow the TSRM'? Let me know.

Thanks!

Ron

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
I would take the other bolt out with the tranny still in the car and remove the pivot out of the way. See if you can get something on whats left of the broken bolt. Then see if you can turn it. If you can get it out I do not see why you cant just replace to broken bolt and tighten it all back up.

Jeremy

northsupra

Normally Insane
Mar 30, 2005
Norway
It's pretty much just to follow the tsrm. There are som anyoing bolts but the secret ninja slim super hand trick will do or som jacking.

I made a write up a long time ago, u can check it out it should be links to the tsrm and all that. It's in my sig.

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
Turbo Drifter;1362074 said:
I would take the other bolt out with the tranny still in the car and remove the pivot out of the way. See if you can get something on whats left of the broken bolt. Then see if you can turn it. If you can get it out I do not see why you cant just replace to broken bolt and tighten it all back up.

Jeremy

Unfortunately the bolt broke off inside the thread. I can't get anything on it. At first I thought I'd be able to do this, but after checking again, I definitely can't. Thanks for the suggestion!

northsupra;1362087 said:
It's pretty much just to follow the tsrm. There are som anyoing bolts but the secret ninja slim super hand trick will do or som jacking.

I made a write up a long time ago, u can check it out it should be links to the tsrm and all that. It's in my sig.

Thanks. I will follow your write up.

Not sure what you mean by 'secret ninja slim super hand trick will do or som jacking'.

northsupra

Normally Insane
Mar 30, 2005
Norway
You'll know when you start with the upper bolts on the bellhousing :D
I got a gold medal in use of extensions when i did it.

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
northsupra;1362099 said:
You'll know when you start with the upper bolts on the bellhousing :D
I got a gold medal in use of extensions when i did it.

Oh yes. I can already see that as being a problem. Thanks!

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Converted from an A/T to an M/T on a gravel floored garage with plywood under the car using TWO jacks after driving front wheels up on ramps and putting cinder blocks under rears BY MYSELF using a junk-o 3/8" hand ratchet and extensions!:aigo:

I would suggest a 14mm SIX-point universal-combo/socket if doing it that way... but ANYTHING is better than how I did it waaaaay back then! (That was in the mid/later '90s...)

Heck, I don't think Al Gore had even INVENTED the INTERNET yet back then!

Thank the Toyota supra god's for the TSRM!:biglaugh:

...man... looking back, I REMEMBER that I ALMOST got myself CRUSHED when the tranny began to DROP off the two catterwompus jacks as I eased it into position... and the damn TRANNY FLUID that POURED OUT all over my groin as the damn thing TILTED a little further than I expected! DOH!!!:cry:

-crisp

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
You still have other issues as that won't cause your problems (the slave it over extended compared to where it's supposed to be).

Looks like someone did a shit clutch job (I also broke that bolt becasue of the idiot shop...)

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
crisp;1362127 said:
Converted from an A/T to an M/T on a gravel floored garage with plywood under the car using TWO jacks after driving front wheels up on ramps and putting cinder blocks under rears BY MYSELF using a junk-o 3/8" hand ratchet and extensions!:aigo:

I would suggest a 14mm SIX-point universal-combo/socket if doing it that way... but ANYTHING is better than how I did it waaaaay back then! (That was in the mid/later '90s...)

Heck, I don't think Al Gore had even INVENTED the INTERNET yet back then!

Thank the Toyota supra god's for the TSRM!:biglaugh:

...man... looking back, I REMEMBER that I ALMOST got myself CRUSHED when the tranny began to DROP off the two catterwompus jacks as I eased it into position... and the damn TRANNY FLUID that POURED OUT all over my groin as the damn thing TILTED a little further than I expected! DOH!!!:cry:

-crisp

Damn, that sounds rough. I think would've just paid someone to do it. Kudos to you!

Anyhow, thanks. I already have the 14mm six-point.

I got the car as high as possible with the basic 2-ton jack/stands. I was under there with a creeper today and it's very tight. I'm not liking this already.

Poodles;1362290 said:
You still have other issues as that won't cause your problems (the slave it over extended compared to where it's supposed to be).

Looks like someone did a shit clutch job (I also broke that bolt becasue of the idiot shop...)

Poodles, was this directed to me? The slave isn't where its supposed to be?

Torque

Sep 7, 2008
In your home
OMFG man i'm having the same exact problem. My dumb ass thought it was just the master cylinder, guess not. In my case, I was moving from a stop light and went into second, press the clutch to go into third and my pedal went all the way to the ground. I pulled over and press the clutch and the car died. Got the car home, looked at the clutch pedal and I saw that the rod from my mastercylinder to the clutch pedal was snaped in two. I guess I have to look at the transmission and see whats going on.

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
Torque;1362926 said:
OMFG man i'm having the same exact problem. My dumb ass thought it was just the master cylinder, guess not. In my case, I was moving from a stop light and went into second, press the clutch to go into third and my pedal went all the way to the ground. I pulled over and press the clutch and the car died. Got the car home, looked at the clutch pedal and I saw that the rod from my mastercylinder to the clutch pedal was snaped in two. I guess I have to look at the transmission and see whats going on.

I guess if pushed hard enough, I would've snapped the rod as well. Get under there and take the inspection plates off. Make sure your fork is connected as it should be. Good luck.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I'm telling you, it's the hub...

Easy way to tell, pull the clutch fork out (just pull hard after moving the slave out of the way) and then reach in and grab the hub it grabs onto. If you can slide it back and forth on the transmission input shaft, the snapring came off because it wasn't assembled properly.