Yet another 5 speed swap question

SupraMan1987

Mar 8, 2006
Hickory area, NC
I am finally winding down my 5 speed swap, but hit a road block tonight. Is their supposed to be a difference in the holes drilled in the body for the lower shifter boot retaining ring vs the automatic shifter assembly? Their is at least an inch difference in my car, and it is frustrating the hell out of me. So, what exactly can I do about it? What have others done? Not running the boot isn't a possibility, I don't feel like smelling exhaust and letting god knows what get in the cabin threw that gaping hole. Let me know, I am getting really frustrated at this point.

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
The shifter panel is different between auto and manuals. If you want to go completely OEM, you'll want to order part number 58281-14100 from Toyota ($45 list price, almost certainly special order). I would imagine it is spot-welded and seam-sealed from the factory.

Otherwise, you could fab up your own transmission boot & ring. The car I converted was gutted so I just lived with the gap. Unless your exhaust leaks (or you have other smelly leaks in your engine bay that you should fix anyway), you won't get any smells. You will, however, get a pretty decent amount of heat coming through.

SupraMan1987

Mar 8, 2006
Hickory area, NC
How did you drill new holes in the plate? It looks to me like if I line it up with 1 set of holes, the other set are inside the actual diameter of the hold down ring.