Yay for electrical fires?

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Not really!

All the power in my office & utility room crapped out this afternoon. Sometimes i've had brownouts where the power will come back on after a second or two, but this took out the whole house. Checked the breaker panel, and noticed the main breaker was off. Switched it back on again, and it instantly went off. Hmm.

So, i flipped off all the RCB's and tried again. It stayed on. Flipped the RCB's back on one at a time, and found that the one that controls the sockets for the office & utility room, would arc, and refuse to turn on. It was then that i noticed a burning smell. I checked the office, and couldn't see anything wrong, unplugged everything, tried the RCB again. Nothing, arced out, and refused to turn back on.

This was getting wierd.

I could smell burning, but couldn't see any smoke. Until, i looked behind the freezers. Oops.

There was the socket, smouldering away on the wall, whisps of smoke coming from it. Tried to grab the plug for the freezer, and ended up with burns. Dumbass? Yep.

Fire extinguisher came into play to stop the smouldering, but CO2 or not, the plug and socket were still melty-hot. So, i grabbed the cable, and yanked it so hard, the socket ripped out of the wall. The devastation behind the socket, as well as the socket itself, was insane. Cabling going back a good 4/5 inches had melted insulation, so live/earth & neutral were all exposed and touching. No wonder the RCB tripped the whole house!

I needed the freezers back up and running ASAP, so, i rewired the plug, and brought in my cable reel from outside, hooking it up to the phase the rest of the house runs off (i'm on 660v 3-phase here). Phew. Now at least the food was safe...

So, what do i do now? Fix it, of course. Like hell i'm paying an electrician to do a job i can do!

Drove out to the local hardware store, picked up a new socket (this time a newer, thermosetting plastic one, and two gang) and some cable. Came to $50. OUCH.

By this time, it was starting to get dark - about 5:30pm.

Electrics + working in the dark = less than ideal.

The socket that melted, was just the first link in the ring main, so rather than put the double socket back there, i thought i'd just rejoin the incoming, and ongoing cables to the next socket (also a very old 1980's socket), and tomorrow, when it's light, replace the socket there instead.

Joining it up though, was a BASTARD. Needed to hack back the sheetrock (an arse pain to replace), and delve into a wall cavity filled with fibre glass wool. Mmm. Itchy Arms.

Still, i have power once more, and tommorrow i'll get around to doing the socket. Have some pictures of the ensuing carnage as well:

electricalfire1.jpg

electricalfire2.jpg

electricalfire3.jpg

HIGHSPEEDDIRT

something in the way
Nov 5, 2008
eat a bullet,AR
Wow !! Since I have been doing electrical work for 10+ years I can definitely say that that sucks indeed. Couple of concerns I have is 1. why was this tripping the main breaker rather than the just the intended breaker/circuit that the plug is on? 2. Are those cuts and or knicks in the wire that is going up,or is my eyes deceiving me?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
HIGHSPEEDDIRT;1517652 said:
why was this tripping the main breaker rather than the just the intended breaker/circuit that the plug is on?

That was my question. Your whole house service should be on a very large (150 amp -/+) breaker, the indiviual circuit runs should be far lower (10, 15, 20, 30 amp).

If the whole house breaker is tripping, I'd replace (and test) the smaller breakers. You've got a recipe for disaster if it's waiting for the main breaker to cut the power.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Supracentral;1517678 said:
That was my question. Your whole house service should be on a very large (150 amp -/+) breaker, the indiviual circuit runs should be far lower (10, 15, 20, 30 amp).

If the whole house breaker is tripping, I'd replace (and test) the smaller breakers. You've got a recipe for disaster if it's waiting for the main breaker to cut the power.

Europe runs with 220 or is it 210 to all their outlets. I would say to Kai, you have a bigger issue, the main should not be tripping, it should be the one that room was running on. I would take out the panel face and start tracing things. Just don't fry yourself :p

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
If the spike is too large for the RCB to handle on it's own (it was on a 20 amp breaker,) the main breaker trips as well for added safety. As well as, in this case, arcing from live to neutral to earth.

The way the house electrics are split up is a little odd, as it's a holdover from the day when it was still a working dairy farm. There are three 220v phases, one for the main house, one for my office and utility room & the cottage next door, one for the other cottage and the exterior sockets & lights in the hangar. The RCB was replaced yesterday as a 'just in case' with a spare 16amp (20 was too high for the run of sockets i have) Legrand and it's holding up fine. The breaker panel looks fine otherwise, no loose connections.

And no, those weren't cuts or nicks, but dirt/spots of melted insulation from the other wires. I did cut it back as far as i could without pulling EVERYTHING out, but the insulation on the join is definitely okay. It might look a bit manky, but it's secure.