Wyotech or UTI? Opinions on em?

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
One thing about UTI, the only positive responses you are going to hear are from people who actually did it, and half of the people who went have negative responses too. I was planning this, about 2 years ago, then i tried to get a job as a mechanic just to try it out and nobody would hire me cause of the economy. This was is what made me rethink my life plan. Now im going back to school this september to get a business managment degree in either finance or banking. And if you are going to join the armed forces aim high for yourself. Do as good as you can on the asvab and the physical fitness tests, try to get the best job that will translate into some real world experience. And yes, working on planes will make you a lot more money. If you really want to be a mechanic I would suggest trying to get a job at a midas or firestone or something just doing lube/tires and working your way up from there. That way if you hate it you can make a little money instead of wasting a lot

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
im a wyotech grad, took every course they had. back in 97. i was also a ford aaa champ in the state and took 3rd in the nationals. i wouldent change it at all.

i will however say that they have expanded the courses to the point where it may not be the same experiance...id love to go back and do the customization course again as they have greatly expanded that course.

now, i would not tell you that they will find you a job. i already had 3 jobs that i found on my own and was employed for 8 months before they found me anything... but that is not their job they educate not employ.

i currently work for simplot as an industrial mechanic and make great money, i would not have this job if it were not for wyotech.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
I've been a mechanic for about ten years now(no schooling). I don't love my job, but I don't necessarily hate it, either. Some things do get boring, after a while...

Anyway, some things you need to think about: You can't be afraid of getting dirty. Not just your hands, but from head to toe, almost every day. You're going to invest a ton of money into tools and the accessories that go with them(I have one tool that costs over $7000, all by itself).
If you do decide to be a mechanic, some things to help you work better and faster: Keep your tool box organized, and never, EVER, lend out tools or let other people use them. Don't settle for Craftsman or some other "namebrand" homeowner tools. Get Matco or Snap-On. Yes, they cost three times as much, but they're ten times better ;) The more tools you have, the easier your job will be.

Good luck. Personally, I think you'd be better off finding a mechanic shop that'll hire you to do oil changes and brake jobs, and work your way up from there. Either that, or get on at a dealer, and take every class they'll let you. Ford's diesel tech's are in high demand(around here at least), and they have a good program.

JXboost

LifeTakingbeast
Mar 9, 2007
N/A
Thank's guys, this is... very tough decision. I always did wanted to own my mechanic shop. I mean, I want to learn as much about cars as I can. But I'm not really sure, One thing that fascinates me is the power of man made machines and how they work. But I don't know for sure if I should invest into this field... I want to start at a Toyota Workshop... But then there is alot of bad sayings about being a mechanic... But, I'll see... I'll try to decide when I'm in the Armed Forces. I also would like to take a side class about Welding while I'm in the Armed Forces... Thanks, I'm still open for opinions....

-James

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
just remember that school is a tool, it is a means to an end. while i agree with cuel about starting small and getting a simple job first(ie oil /tire changes),id go to school(while working a simple job), i will also add that if i had it to do over again i would definatly go into heavy equipt and industrial machine repair. you have a better chance of having a recession proof job that way industry is where it is at. i was a gm ,toyota and nissan master tech at a dealership and also in private shops. im also i-car and ase certified at a master tech level.

the main problem with the industry right now is that you cannot make a paycheck that is steady as a commissioned or book time tech due to lack of work. and as a private tech unless you own the shop you are not making any money!

that is why i went industrial. im currently making 22$hr, that is 12$/hr over the median wage scale in my area , with unlimited overtime and double time on my 7th day....and holidays(if i work them) are at triple time and a half, i also have lots of other benefits such as med/dental,401k and life ins. while you can get them benefits at a dealer, you will not get them at a private shop. and you can forget the double and 3.5 pay at the dealers as well.

edit:....forgot your pm'd ?
oh and to answer the question, school is what you make of it..you get a lot of people that go to a school like wyotech that either are not ready to apply themselves, or dont really know what they want to do in life, they then fail at it or coast by and graduate without ever gaining any skills from it. they then have trouble and blame the school.

you cannot expect a educator the find you a job , that is the lazy approach....ya they will try to assist you, but nobody will hire you if you do not put the effort into it yourself.

falconpunch1978

Dec 15, 2008
naperville il
Graduated from UTI w/honors (student of the phase awards) and pretty much cant remember shit of what I learned there. Most of the guys there were from various trailer parks and were generally pieces of crap, the bathrooms were fukin nasty, boogers on the walls, piss everywhere etc. Everyday I hoped that I would not have to take a shit there. So unless you dont mind being in a place like this stay away! I currently work for myself building roll cages for people I race with and have learned more now then when I was at UTI, save your money.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
well, wyotech wasnt like that at all, but that was when there was not open enrollment. you had to test in. there was only one campus at the time. that was the laramie wy campus. classes were small and there was a lot of direct hands on training and the mix of class to shop was about 60 % shop.

i guess that uti isnt as good as the tv makes it look

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
I was thinking about going to UTI down by Chicago, but from what everyone is saying in here, I'd get just about the same schooling for cheaper by going to a community/tech college.

I was originally going to go to a culinary school in Chicago (3rd best school in the country), but I've been rethinking that, with regards to going into the automotive field.

Damn dude, I have no clue what to do right now, I think that's the reason why I'm taking classes related to both fields this semester.

maac0953

mike
Jul 21, 2008
orlando
my neighbors are all students that rent this house and they all say its like highschool all over again. its like that in all cources like marine,cars motorcycles.:3d_frown:

Patch

Aug 25, 2008
Houston
didnt read the thread, but im sure this has already been said:

edit, post fail.

UnTrainedIdiots. the dealership will pay you to learn the stuff. screw paying 30 somethin thousand to not learn anything.

5l_eater

I LIVE FOR THIS SHIT !
Jan 17, 2007
Maryland
Whats up guys im 19 and Im enrolled to go this fall to wyotech for high perfomance class and i cant wait , i am happy with my decision . When it comes down to it ,is this really what you wanna do ? cause if your doin this because you like working on your supra and your buddys cars walk away now cause your wasting your time. So i would say most ppl have been bagging on UTI seems to me that place is hell on earth for Techs. If there is anyone also going this Oct. w/ MK3 to the Blairsville campus in PA hit pm me ........p.s. The whole Dealership paying for you to learn is bullshit by the way ive been at Toyota for 3 years now and they dick ppl around when it comes to that im better of taking the TIS test online.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
Don't dealers over there offer some sort of apprenticeship schemes? I'm currently 4 months in out of a 3 year course with a Bentley dealer. Every 6 weeks or so I'm shipped off to the factory where the cars are built for training, during the other time I work full time for the dealer making myself as useful as possible. Getting paid a good wage while learning is always a bonus :).

I do have to say, despite landing what I would have considered to be my dream job a year ago, I still. I've only been there 4 months and it's already driven home the fact that I do not want to do it for the rest of my life. Cars are my hobby, I'm not too sure I want to make a lifelong career out of them

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
I'm currently enrolled at the program at Ohio Technical College. I love it so far, as for the shop/class time split, it depends on what class you are in. The engine repair class was mostly shop time, but my electrical class was a lot of class work (wiring diagrams and the sort, its my first of 3 electrical classes).

I'm going to be here for 18 months, that includes automotive, alternative fuels, and high performance, and I also get an associates degree in applied sciences. It cost me roughly $28,000 for the whole program, not counting rent for the apartment when I moved to Cleveland.

Other than that, there is a 50-something percent discount on matco tools while you are a student here, which is nice since they are very expensive. I did look around at a few other places before I came here, mainly NADC and wyotech, also that other one from Ohio that I can't remember right now. All I know is that NADC and wyotech just seemed to bash all the other tech schools as much as possible.

Anyway, thats about as much as I have to say about that, make what you will with it.

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california
Zumtizzle;1219126 said:
Neighter Bro.

After talking with both, they both felt likes sales people.

You're in Sacramento?

Look into the ASE program at American River College or the Los Rios System.

What area do you live in?

Do you by chance drive a awful burgundy supra with Negative Camber?

Good info here....^^^^^

Why do you want to be a tech>? I wanted to and i have learn alot but i wish i had my 4 years back from working at shops i do make good $ but im back in school. Good luck .