WTF!!!!! brand new 6m crank with main rod bearings frm AUTOZONE

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
Its a recast made by a different company, it is not factory, they are usually way out of spec and most of the time will require machining if it is even usable.

With internals, do not go with any parts store, go to toyota or aftermaket, crower, je, wiseco, clevlite etc. About the only thing I go to the parts store anymore for is oil and vacuum hose.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I don't think they are aftermarket- They are reground OEMs, hence the core charge.
I'm sure they're ok, but I wouldn't want an undersize crank, as I'm sure they all are.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
CyFi6;1549724 said:
Are you sure? I think its just a remanned OEM crankshaft

I highly doubt auto zone has there own machince shop ( high in the hills of Who knows where) to manufacture parts, I'm sure it's a subcontract with a machine shop. Why would there be a foundry in making reman cranks? That would cost a fortune to have tooling and dies to remanufacture crank shafts, it just wouldn't be cost effective, it's reground.

Last edited:

7EMPIRE

Feb 23, 2010
Raliegh
idk but id like to know if anyone here has a remaned one from autozone i wanna know how off the specs are lol

dsm_tuner260

Nov 1, 2009
Fort Wayne, Indiana
i work at autozone. well kinda maybe once every few months and i dont buy anything there last thing i bought there i think was a slave cyl which was a bad idea i put it on 4 months later it was leaking and it was parked most of the time, that was back towards end of last year. i buy my oil from advance since its a dollar cheaper. i work in a shop full time so i only work there just to keep my discount and for just in case situtions. i usually just go to the dealer and i always try to get the parts guy that drives the mk3 he usually gives me deals.

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
I used to work for a company that sold starters and alt to auto zone. We actually remanufactured from cores. So I doubt that Auto Zone actually does or owns the company that does the work on the crank shafts. There should be a way to find out that does though. Then you can research who else they do the machine work for.