Wrist pins and Felpro piston rings?

MKiiiturbodrift

Feb 26, 2009
Cabot, AR
Ok so we are working on rebuilding our poopras 7mgte due to some rod knock. I believe we are pretty settled on some clevite 77 bearings for the bottom end and of course a new oil pump. So far for piston rings the only thing we are comfortable with is the fel-pro rings, we are using the stock pistons. I have not found any wrist pins yet except for going to the dealership.

Has anyone used the Felpro piston rings and how did they hold up?

Where can I find some wrist pins?

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
I don't think that FelPro makes rings, but one of their sister companies do.

Do NOT buy the 'NPR' rings being sold on eBay.
I have been digging up info that those are not real NPR (a Japanese brand),
but are actually being counterfeited in china............
(no wonder they are all over chinaBay)

Mahle Sport Compact rings (Perfect Circle),
Hastings,
Sealed Power,
and Total Seal are all good rings.

MKiiiturbodrift

Feb 26, 2009
Cabot, AR
yeah ur right they were not felpros they were EMG or something like that from napa. But i beleive that the company is owned by felpro.

What about wrist pins? I still have yet to find some wrist pins. Im looking into finding some from a different application with the same dimensions.

MKiiiturbodrift

Feb 26, 2009
Cabot, AR
well im not sure anything is wrong but we are having the bottom end blue printed and balanced and we are replacing the rings and bearings so i might as well replace the wrist pins while im at it. The motor does have a knock but im not sure yet on whether its from the wirst pin or the bearings.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
Wrist pin issues on these engines is very rare. If you got the pistons out of the block, it will be easy to tell if the knock was from the wrist pins. If you can't feel any play, take the pins out, inspect them , and if good, just replace the sleeves. Sleeves are cheap, and you can get those from Napa if you want.

MKiiiturbodrift

Feb 26, 2009
Cabot, AR
your the second person to mention to me that wrist pin issues are rare for these motors. Does anyone have an explanation as to why? I just figure if im in the motor i might as well spend the lil extra cash for some wrist pins if i can find them but if i can ill just replace the sleeves.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Well, they are either worn, or they are not.......
If they are worn, then new ones are in order.
(as are the bushings in the small end of the connecting rods)

Wiseco makes good light 22mm weight pins, in different lengths.
(if your after a ligher rod/piston/pin combo for a higher RPM potential)

I am buying 6) Wiseco #S566 pins to go with my Cosworth pistons.
But they are too short to fit stock 7m pistons (they need a 65-66 mm pin)
You would have to go too their site, and see what they have for longer ones.