Would yall recommend using a BOV w/ an anti-surge housing?

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
I've read into this quite a bit, but couldn't find a definitive answer to this. Some people say you should, others say they've had no issues not running one. What's yall's take on this?

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
I have always run a BOV, better safe than sorry i say. However, it is important to use a quality unit. a cheap bov is a boost leak in my experience. I had a cheap HKS knock off and it was leaking at only 10 psi! My current Tial Q did not leak even at 30 psi.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Anti surge is designed to help with turbo life. As with high boost sometimes depending on the setup you can see surge in lower rpms.

It's not there to take the place of a bov.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
From what I remember, anti-surge housings are used to combat true compressor surge (has NOTHING to do with when you let off the throttle, it's actually far more damaging and dangerous). Doesn't replace a BPV/BOV.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
yeah, I plan on using a tial 50mm. was just curious. a little reading confirmed that it's there to prevent the turbo from pushing more air than the engine can take at high rpms. although some people have reported using no bypass valve and having 0 surge w/ throttle lift.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
It's even cooler sounding in person...but not so cool when you realize you have to change your setup to preserve the reliability of it all.