World Of Warcraft

Topher E

Trance Head
Aug 4, 2005
Vacaville
Okay here is my disclaimer, I have two 80 characters and a lot of 60 somethings. Druid and rogue are fun as shit and by taking LW and skinning you make a ton of cash.

Heed this, if you have a life dont buy into this game. As with any MMO these can be a substitute for emotional validation, if your love life is in the tubes or your job sucks and you come home every night just to play. You are on the verge of an addiction. I succumbed to this MMO monkey for almost two years. In that time i managed to gain almost 100 pounds take up smoking and drop out of college. I quit my job and wile being supported by my parents I would still play for 14-16 hours a day.

NOT A GOOD IDEA!

I have lost 70 of the pounds i out on, quit smoking and am back in college. But I tell ya, I still want to play, I had real life friends that played so it was more fun, when i alienated them to play the game was my demise. They quit playing the game and I only hit it harder. I stopped going out to parties to stay home and raid. I never got far in the game, at the time I quit BC I was T5 and I thought it would be the end. I stopped about December after running both of my toons up to 80 in less than two weeks. I thought I was going to quit but i didn't. I got then new tier gear (7.5) and some of the best items in the game. I stopped exercising and put on weight again.

Again, I know I might be seen as a hypocrite for saying this but Its not a good idea. My social life has flourished again and feel better with more time on my hands to do things around the house i once neglected.

I hope this might sway your decision but if not, please be aware of what can happen.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
I have one lvl 70-something and I thought I'd put way too much time into the game. Not bashing, just saying...

It sure as hell is addicting though. When the wife is at work and my son is asleep, I'm usually on.

Topher E

Trance Head
Aug 4, 2005
Vacaville
Setting limits is the key, but in my experience it does not work. So I only offer that as a warning.

Supraman - I would never take that as bashing, I let my personal life on these forums because well, they are closer in some ways than others.

Coop - That is a good way to moderate playing.

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
I hear alot of people saying how this game can be addicting but i just don't see it. although i haven't started to play it so i can really speak with out experiance. ifin a few months you see me posting abou tbeing divorced then i'm sure i will get the i told you so's...lol

Topher E

Trance Head
Aug 4, 2005
Vacaville
CoopMK3;1230628 said:
You just have to keep yourself under controll it is addicting its like drinking though... as long as you can stop your ok

Far from it. Alcoholism is a disease, it manifests itself by masking emotional problems thru the consumption of alcohol. WoW helps the player seek emotional validation thru accomplishments in the game that are absent in their life.

Growing up in a family where alcohol was being abused, I know from first hand experience that nothing can bring back those years of missing any type of parental influence and the years of counseling I had to go thru to become a stable person. I attempted suicide in my early childhood many times and was eventually plopped into a mental hospital. WoW took two years of my life and the only thing I lost was my initiative to do well in school.

You have compared two subjects that neither go together nor should be listed in the same subject as remotely similar.

-Chris.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Don't do it. Trust me. You will never get the money back from playing and IMO it isnt worth the money.

or just go private server and pay nothing, have an instant max level toon.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
I can jump on and off whenever I feel like it, and not worry about getting cought up in a long ass instance run. I have no drive to level, just kill shit.
For the amount that I play it, it is def not worth monthly payments, im on maybe 15-20 hours a month.