Woo! Head Gasket Boom Boom! Yeah!

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
LordLo said:
The last time I did the headgasket, everything went down perfect BESIDES maybe I got tired of paying the dealership $100 ($200 down the drain :nono: ) for a oem gasket and bought a $30 ebay headgasket. Unlike what most people assume, the ebay gasket is not that bad. It's equivalent to what the build quality of the OEM gasket is IMO. Has the graphite like covering and a metal porus internal sheet.
can anyone say the same?

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Didn't want to start a new thread but, is it ok to use a stock head gasket after the head has been machined? The motor was previously equipped with a 2mm MHG but I am thinking of using the stock head gasket. How much will doing this raise my compression? Would I be better off getting a new 2mm MHG?

also, are there any issues with running the stock headgasket with .5mm oversized pistons?

Last edited:

riot19

May 26, 2006
Ohio
im also looking into the bhg thing. the people i bought the car from put a MHG on it and not even 20 hours later it blew on i think 4 or 5lb of boost.

if i didn't hit boost and didn't do anything to the head or block could i get away with using a stocker hg?

This would be my temperary fix till i get my engine rebuilt. I just need a car now.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Not that big an impact...assuming there is a small amount removed.

Are you going to get the seals replaced? Or go for the complete head re-build?

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
which seals? valve seals? no. i'm not taking the valves out of the head. if you mean gaskets then yeah, im gettin new gaskets..
also..when i took out the (im guessing) A/C fan switch thing out of the thermostat housing i realized the tip looked like this. is it still usable?
sm_photo_missing.jpg

another question: what size socket do i need for the crank pulley(a buddy is bringing his tools over so i wanna know so he don't miss it)? whats the best way to turn the engine with a breaker bar...from the top or the bottom..

and
johnathan1 said:
Yea, only get the OEM headgasket...mine was $81.
did you get that from the dealership?

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
after reading around. Arent felpro steel core head gaskets pretty good? (seem to be by the posts i read) I was thinking of going felpro and ARP studs in mine

Last edited:

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
I wouldn't reuse that coolant sensor...looks pretty erroded... How do your other coolant sensors look? i bet all of that erosion was caused by a combination of exhaust gasses and green coolant... I'm curious to see what the water jackets on your head will look like...:D

You need a 14mm hex socket to get the oil plugs out of the spark plug galley cover area...

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
do i have to take the cams out to get head milled? i called a machine shop and the guy said that you gots to take the cams out cuz the valves get in the way..there any special procedures with taking them out?

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
When I took my head to have it milled, I just basically left it fully assembled. They removed the cams and everything and re-assembled with assembly lube.

But I guess you can remove them yourself if you want to...Just follow the torque sequence in the TSRM, and make sure you know where each cam cap came from...they need to go back in the same place they came from.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
so i got the head off yesterday.
nice to see the cylinders still got crosshatches. the pistons i cleaned cleaned up pretty nicely.

question: can the valves stay in while its getting milled? is 170 bucks to get the head milled too much? theres this place around the corner from me but i dunno if i should keep hunting for a better price.
i had more questions, but i forget..

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 57

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
more questions:
-do i have to take the egr cooler off the head to get it machined?

-this is down the road but would running my MBC into the glove box be too long and cause spike?

-also, my friend thats helping me says then when worked on his friends car, they used a 150 grit paper to get the block deck cleaned up? is this a safe practice? how should i remove that imprint of the gasket that cant be scraped off?

Last edited:

Boost_happy

breakin it sideways!
Dec 28, 2005
Boise, ID
put a cometic MHG with ARP's in my car a year ago without decking the block and i am now pushing coolant out the overflow tank undrer boost, go oem or do it write

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
I think $175 is too much...

Yes you can leave the valves in place because the valves sit lower than the gasket surface.

Here in Northern California it cost me $65 to get the head milled. and it was not some shitty machine...It is CBN machine worth alot of money and the finish was ready for metal head gasket.

You should also get the head checked for cracks, hardness and the valves tested.

I would not use 150 grit on the block surface...Best to have it machined too.

If you do not prep the head and block correctly now, rest assured you will be pulling the motor apart in the future for another BHG.

Cheers,
Roy