wont rev past 5k

4g63guy

Sep 1, 2011
Kansas
ok so i been chasing down some misfire problems that ive recently fixed :icon_bigg...theres zero check engine lights on now which is great...problem still isnt fixed :3d_frown:....i changed the fuel filter yesterday evening afterwards it fired right up reved to redline FINALLY i was so happy took it out and around the block and all over again its doing the same thing wont rev past 5k sitting and it cuts out sooner driving around 3 to 3500 rpm...:icon_mad:could it be that the fuel filter is clogged all over again that fast?????..

i didnt drain the take and the car sat for 10 years prior to getting it going....my freind told me to get about 2 more fuel filters and drain the tank and problem should be fixed???? please help guys i fixed teh codes like you guys said now im stumped

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
why are you revving it that high? it wouldn't be th fuel fter either
why would you just get in the car start it and redline?

4g63guy

Sep 1, 2011
Kansas
i let the car warm up for 20 min first cause my idle stays at 2k so i let it warm up till the idle dropped to normal then i reved it a few times

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
4g63guy;1935191 said:
i let the car warm up for 20 min first cause my idle stays at 2k so i let it warm up till the idle dropped to normal then i reved it a few times

Your idle stays at 2k for cold starts? I know every car is different but mine will fire up then go to around 1.5k and quickly work its way back down to 800, after about 30 seconds or so it's idling around 650.

When you say it won't rev past 5k, what are you encountering? Does it spit? Bog? Perhaps just refuses to climb any higher? Can you get a sound clip?

Also, drain that piss water for gas out of the tank. IIRC gas loses its octane rating quickly if it sits longer than a few months.

4g63guy

Sep 1, 2011
Kansas
it basically cuts all fuel it doesnt sputter or misfire it just completly goes silent like if you were to hold your breath under water.rpms wont go up any nor was i pushing it to go further didnt wanna damage anything else.idle stays at 900 all the time while sitting its only under load when this issue happens i already have a walbro 255 with 12v mod installed i changed out teh stock pump cause it was dead after 10 years