Won't Idle After Rebuild

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
I will readjust it again tomorrow since i have so much of it off. But i am really concerned by cylinder 5. looking into all the spark plug holes theres visible black residue in them all except cylinder 5. I used a mechanics stethoscope and couldnt detect any clicking on that injector either.

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
Yes your car will run at 120psi.
The cps looks normal however if that where your getting 10 degrees on a timing light I bet your exhaust cam is off 1 tooth. And would yield running like poo, low comp numbers but still would run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
So do we think its my low compression, or what? Every cylinder has black residue on the piston, except piston 5.

I guess it would make sense to say that i had 9 thousands taken off the block and 6 off the head. Im using a 2mm mls head gasket and running 9:1 compression Wiseco pistons.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Mine had 0 in two of my cylinders And it ran. barely, but it did run. Cps is off for sure. stab it again. The bolt should be centered to allow it to be adjusted. What is going on in cylinder 5 ? Is it getting fuel?

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
Ill adjust it again tomorrow. I do not think its getting any fuel. While the engine is running as shitty as it does, I use the stethoscope on the fuel injector and i get no clicking noise like i do on others. Ill runi t for a minute, and immediately pull the spark plug its bone dry, but it is sparking. Its not black like rhe rest of the plugs either.

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
Check the connector plug and harness to that injector. That cps sensor is not lined up, take it out and install it again. Search for CPS ALIGNMENT so you can see the picture in one of the post. Well you got some work cut out for you. Good luck and report your progress... :beer:

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Yeah, I had a miss in cylInder 3 of my 2jz swap I got fire but no fuel. I unplugged the injector, and found that when I connected it I had bent one of the prongs that come out of the injector. I bent it back in place plunged it in and it solved my problem. So give that a look.

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
I checked the harness and injector clip connectors. Turns out on cylinder 5 the harness side clip had part of the connector coming out. I pushed it back in and it seemed like it was making good contact with the injector. I also tried adjusting the CPS so that it was in the deadcenter of the adjustment bolt when the cps was perfect center, however when I slide it into its hole it no longer lines up. even if I adjusted the cps forward or back and slid it in, I just couldnt get it right. I was able to get it started this time just barely and pulled a code 11. Never had the code before. It ran significantly worse.

I tightened ground on the head and tried to start again but the battery was dead. Another day.

Meanwhile, im looking for a 1jz lol

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Smartparts;1872145 said:
I checked the harness and injector clip connectors. Turns out on cylinder 5 the harness side clip had part of the connector coming out. I pushed it back in and it seemed like it was making good contact with the injector. I also tried adjusting the CPS so that it was in the deadcenter of the adjustment bolt when the cps was perfect center, however when I slide it into its hole it no longer lines up. even if I adjusted the cps forward or back and slid it in, I just couldnt get it right. I was able to get it started this time just barely and pulled a code 11. Never had the code before. It ran significantly worse.

I tightened ground on the head and tried to start again but the battery was dead. Another day.

Meanwhile, im looking for a 1jz lol
You have to start it off cocked to one side and when you slide it in it should spIn and end up centered. Did you see the cos alignment write up?

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
Followed the CPS guide found on SM posted by SHAEF. Took the CPS off and again set it up correctly making sure piston #1 was at TDC and the marks on the cams lined up with the notches in the timing cover. Same for the crank. Here is a picture of the CPS with the crank at 0 degrees, and this should match the picture shaef posted, though in the guide its a tad ambiguous. So let me know what you think

I also disconnected the PS pump, and started the car. That whirring noise/whistle is still present. I will try to get a video tomorrow.

20120905_192654.jpg

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
[video=youtube;MzYqxwR5oYU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzYqxwR5oYU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

So its still running like a pile of dicks. BUT I know one reason why now. There is a massive vacuum leak in the intake manifold. I can see the tear or rip in the gasket, but ill be gone for the weekend so I wont have an update till early next week when I tear the intake off.

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
Well I went to AUtozone and they got me a fel pro intake manifold gasket kit. I changed it yesterday and attempted to start it today. It ran much much much better. When warmed up it ran at about 750 RPM and thats without me adjusting the CPS at all. It still needs to be timed.

[video=youtube_share;4-PPWMiNbTw]http://youtu.be/4-PPWMiNbTw[/video]

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
Installed new injectors. Firing on cylinder 5 now. seems to be running pretty good i think. Now i need to set the timing

[video=youtube;m8U-ZhZa5Co]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8U-ZhZa5Co&feature=share&list=UUwuPVEh5qtB7BjWcV2Obo5g[/video]