won't crank after bhg fix. power good, starter clicks

drb0mb

Mar 21, 2012
huntingdon
i searched plenty of threads before posting...none of them seem to have the same symptoms i do
it's 1988, rhd, not certain if its ukd or jdm

-everything has power
-one click when key turned on, then a 1-second pause, then three clicks within the next second <--this is what makes my issue different...other click/nocrank posts cite only one click
-can hear fuel pump when attempting to turn
-battery's brand new, just bought today. it holds 12v throughout process of attempting to start
-alternator was replaced last month
-starter wire connected to battery, engine ground connected, that wire group under intake connected, good contacts throughout
-headlights bright as day and only fade an expected amount when attempted to start, return to brightness afterward
-hood is completely removed and set aside
-dash lights on before attempting crank: engine light, battery light, rear light failure light, parking brake (manual vehicle)

i tried the lock/unlock thing, the car started with no problems prior to head gasket replacement. since theres minimal electrical work done during bhg repair, it's hard for me to believe the parts would suddenly stop functioning after being disconnected for a few days

Last edited:

SRZMK3

search starter relay issue.. maybe you got unlucky and your starting to get the dreaded relay issue.

check the starter itself. hit it with a 2 by 4 and see if it does anything. sometimes the solenoid goes bad and you gotta bump it back alive.

rodama5anthony

Sep 24, 2010
Bay Area, CA
i had a similar thing happen to me. my old man told me the starter solenoid can get stuck from sitting too long so we gave it a couple of whacks with a wrench and it started right up after that

drb0mb

Mar 21, 2012
huntingdon
alright cool thanks, i didnt really know where to start searching for answers but it looks like i have a few things to try now. i thought roughing up the starter was a joke directed at electrically incompetent people (myself included there...but instructions are easy to follow) but now i see multiple claims that it works, i'll try that and if it doesnt work it looks like i can make one of those relays.

drb0mb

Mar 21, 2012
huntingdon
oh yeah, those are connected too

edit: damn UK! no such thing as a evening project. nobody carries relay switches!?!? 2x automotive store...electrical supply store...home hardware store... if it werent for ebay i'd be stranded. i miss the states.

Last edited: