wont boost past 7 lbs

Enano

Sep 3, 2012
Miami, FL
Well i dont know how to explain it but the compressor side impeller is kind of heavy but it spins pretty freely and easily.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
no they run that much becuase that's what they have the boost controller set to
a wastegates purpose is to prevent the tubo from over boosting but when you hook the bc up to it it tricks the wastegate into thinking you're getting lets say 7 psi but your bc lets you go to 15 or whatever you have it set at

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
did you have a boost controller on when you had the auto? it sounds like
you did..which would explain it
becuase the stock wastegate only goes to 7psi
meaning that with a bc you could hit the 12 or 13 you wanted
it sounds like the bc was either taken off or is set wrong. becuase swapping a tranny wouldn't effect boost like that it's not connected to the turbo lol

Enano

Sep 3, 2012
Miami, FL
I didn't have ANY mods besides a walbro when I had my auto tranny. But now that you said what you did, my boost controller hoses are pretty long and I'm thinking by the time the boost controller tells the wastegate to open, my turbo had already spiked to 15+ and thats why it spikes and then holds at 12. I'm thinking my bc is actually set at 12 but I think its at 15 due to the spike... what do you think?

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
sounds normal like Bryandyer said the stock waste gate is set to 7psi . Are you running to higher rpms now that youre manual compared to auto

Enano

Sep 3, 2012
Miami, FL
Yes but I don't think that matters and everyone is saying the same thing but not answering my question. If the stock wastegate is set to 7 psi, why was I running 12 lbs steady and hitting fuel cut at 13 with my auto tranny and no boost controller and only 3 inch exhaust and walbro 255.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
perhaps try capping one end of the intercooler piping.. just leaving everything connected and pressurizing everything is very bad. you WILL push out your main seals if you pressurize the pcv.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
if you had an auto and now you have a manual it will rev differently which means you're probably hitting fuel cut from boost. try running it at 10lbs if it still hits boostcut then you need more fuel pressure(AFPR?). MBC are notorious for creep.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Enano;1931769 said:
I didn't have ANY mods besides a walbro when I had my auto tranny. But now that you said what you did, my boost controller hoses are pretty long and I'm thinking by the time the boost controller tells the wastegate to open, my turbo had already spiked to 15+ and thats why it spikes and then holds at 12. I'm thinking my bc is actually set at 12 but I think its at 15 due to the spike... what do you think?

Normally, the waste gate opening for the internal waste gate is too small. With it being too small, it's opening when told to but can't flow enough to keep the turbo from spiking above your set PSI. What you can do to keep this from happening is remove the turbo and ream out the waste gate opening a tad bit.

As for not boosting past 7 PSI, do you have a 3" downpipe with the full flow elbow? When I went from stock exhaust to full 3" exhaust, my boost increased to 11 PSI without ever touching the waste gate.

Each car is different but with full 3" exhaust, nearly everyone has picked up a PSI or two.

Enano

Sep 3, 2012
Miami, FL
Are you guys even reading my posts. I was hitting 12 lbs and fuel cut with the auto tranny and only mods were 3 inch exhaust and walbro 255. No i am not hitting fuel cut and my fuel pressure is fine all the way through boost. I have 550s and lex afm i should hit fuel cut at around 18. And indigo, when i test for boost leaks with everything connected, all the air escapes somehow so how am i going to bliw a seal

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Enano;1931914 said:
Are you guys even reading my posts. I was hitting 12 lbs and fuel cut with the auto tranny and only mods were 3 inch exhaust and walbro 255. No i am not hitting fuel cut and my fuel pressure is fine all the way through boost. I have 550s and lex afm i should hit fuel cut at around 18. And indigo, when i test for boost leaks with everything connected, all the air escapes somehow so how am i going to bliw a seal

Are you pressurizing EVERYTHING? Such as the crankcase vents and all? There's a reason the crankcase should be under vacuum while the engine is running.

Like I suggested before, REMOVE the intercooler piping from the throttle body and cap the end. I use a cap with an air pressure gauge in it to make sure the air inside the piping is what I want it to be.

Enano

Sep 3, 2012
Miami, FL
Yes I plug the two vents at the top of the valve covers and it still leaks out through somewhere. I have no leaks anywhere but it just feels like its going out through the exhaust. Wouldn't I have open valves and thats where the air goes out through?

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Enano;1931930 said:
Yes I plug the two vents at the top of the valve covers and it still leaks out through somewhere. I have no leaks anywhere but it just feels like its going out through the exhaust. Wouldn't I have open valves and thats where the air goes out through?

Remove intercooler piping. Plug the end of the intercooler piping. Pressurize the piping.

Enano

Sep 3, 2012
Miami, FL
Plugged 3000 pipe at the end, pressurized and it goes all the way to the 3000 pipe but it wont get anywhere over 2 psi. Except the problem is i dont hear leaks ANYWHERE AT ALL. The air just escapes somehow... its like if it were going into the turbo compressor side and coming out the turbine side lol

Edit: yes i plugged connection from turbo to wastegate

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Stock bov?

You obviously have a leak somewhere.

Its impossible to get air into the exhaust as well if the 3k pipe is blocked off.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Enano;1932627 said:
Plugged 3000 pipe at the end, pressurized and it goes all the way to the 3000 pipe but it wont get anywhere over 2 psi. Except the problem is i dont hear leaks ANYWHERE AT ALL. The air just escapes somehow... its like if it were going into the turbo compressor side and coming out the turbine side lol

Edit: yes i plugged connection from turbo to wastegate

How much pressure are you putting into the pipe? If you're only using roughly 10 PSI and receiving 2 PSI at the end, your leak will be fairly quiet. Crank the pressure up to about 25 PSI and you'll hear the leak SCREAM.

Enano

Sep 3, 2012
Miami, FL
Hey I'm back guys... a little update. I bouth DM's new 7m intercooler kit with the inlet/outlet on same sides. Installed today all sturdy nice fitment and guess what... STILL HAVE A MASSIVE LEAK! I was right, my stock intercooler and pipes were not leaking even though the air did seem to be escaping through somewhere... I'm about to just take it to a shop because this is getting ridiculous. I'm about to drive this pos into a brick wall

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
did you check the stock blow off valve? if your blow off valve is opening the whole time your not going to make any boost. oh and if their is a crack around the inlet of your turbos you could be losing boost right their. just buying new hard pipes isn't going to solve your problem if it's no where near your boost leak.