Wobble Noise suspected to be coming from rear of car

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
Issue: car makes a noise, best way to describe it is sort of a wobble. I know it is not engine related as if I pull the clutch and let the car to to idle, the noise is still present. My car has no rear interior in it so it makes it fairly easy to hear the noise coming from the rear. Only thing that is making me second guess myself that it's in the rear is that if going in a straight line the noise is prevalent, if I turn the wheel very slightly to the right the noise goes away, bring the wheel back and the noise comes back. I can also hear a slight whine from the rear end when I slightly get into the gas after decell but it goes away after applying any more throttle, but I hear this normal.

Things recently done to the car:
Installed eibachs, they are saggy and really bad, coilovers coming soon
The noise became prevalent after washing the car (doubt it has much to with it)
Rack has been leaking so topped it off

Things I've checked:
Lug nuts (stupid but simple)
Tire pressures, all checked fine
Wheel bearings, but was a fairly quick check

Things I'm going to check:
Wheel bearings jack up and do correctly
Ball joints
Tie rods
Maybe bushings (have a brand new set of energy bushings to put in)
Backlash in the rear end
Service the rear end

Anything else I should be aware of or check? I also sometimes hear a large clunk when taking off from first when first moving I'm assuming its rear end

Last edited:

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
K, so it only does this at speed. And it still makes noise if you are driving while in neutral?
Does the 'wobble' noise speed up when you drive faster?

My next guess would be warped brakes.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I had a strange noise coming from the rear of my car when I would turn the wheel left or right (I cant remember which) and it ended up being something in my brakes squeaking. I took them apart and greased everything good and the noise went away. Maybe your problem is something like this or just as simple.

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
well i checked the wheel bearing and it was clicking pretty heavily. So ill replace that and go from there and check out the brake suggestions and make sure i lube everything up during reassembly.