wiring question for 1uz guys

7mslider

Dec 20, 2009
shelbyville
okay, so i picked up a 1uz from a 93 sc400 with ecu and harness. while i was doing some research i came across some information stating that all you need to hook up to make the engine run is 5 wires? switched power to pin 2, 3 on eb2 and pin 11 on ij2. constant power to pin 4 eb1. and start power to pin 1 eb2. is this true? the reason i ask is because i don't plan on having a/c, or using any factory gauges except for my speedo. if this is all i "have" to do, my life will be much simpler when it comes to the wiring. thanks in advance for any info.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Do a little more research and you will find the 7 wire 1UZ can be unreliable, you need to utilize a relay to turn on the ECU and everything else. Click the link in my sig fir wiring info, it's really simple to do it right, so really there is no escuse not do it right . Good luck.

7mslider

Dec 20, 2009
shelbyville
thanks. i've been looking for a pinout of the connectors with no success. i don't know how i missed your thread. i definately want it to be reliable and i hadn't seen much about the 5 wire method. so with the pinout, i should be able to just match and splice correct?

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Yes, its pretty strait forward. Also, you can utilize all your factory gauges with the 1UZ, the only thing you need to modify is for the oil pressure gauge. The SC400 uses a dummy light and associated pressure switch on the oil filter housing. So all you have to do is snip and solder a Supra pig tail or spade connector and thread a Supra oil pressure sending unit in place of the switch. The tach will not be accurate but will function, and from what I have seen the water temp gauge functions with no problems. You have a PM.

pogoism9

1UZ for me!
May 18, 2007
fredericksburg, va
Not to bump a dead thread, but from what I understand, you can replace the tach driver in the Supra tach assembly with a 4 cylinder Celica driver from 86-89 and it will run the tach correctly. 1UZ operates ignitionwise as 2 4 cylinder engines.

7mslider

Dec 20, 2009
shelbyville
so does anyone know if the driver for the tach will fit on the supra gauge and be acurate? i was going to use an aftermarket tach but would much wrather have everything look stock.