Wireless network help

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm trying to set-up a wireless network in my new house. Windows makes it pretty easy if your router has a USB port. Mine doesn't. I do have an ethernet cable hooked up which is how I am on the internet right now.
How do you set up a wireless network without using a USB flash drive?

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
aye mate;1352000 said:
I'm trying to set-up a wireless network in my new house. Windows makes it pretty easy if your router has a USB port. Mine doesn't. I do have an ethernet cable hooked up which is how I am on the internet right now.
How do you set up a wireless network without using a USB flash drive?

Simple, find the routers IP.
In Internet explorer, some routers allow you to mess with them via Firefox but most are picky about that shit, so use IE.
What router are you using?
Whatever it is its IP is going to be entered into IE like this //192.168.X.X

Find out the IP and you will have access to setting it up. Simple as that, also most routers don't have a password on them, so don't worry about it.

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
if it does ask for a username and password.. the usernames are usually "admin" and the passwords are usually either "password" or "admin"....to find out the ip address of the router go to start>>run type "cmd" press enter then type "ipconfig" one of the items on the list will say default gateway that is your routers ip address that you will be typing into internet explorer.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Try running a command from the computer that is plugged in via Cat[x] cable, after you have established a good connection to the internet [and can surf].
Go the start menu and select "Run"
Type "command" and hit enter to bring up the command prompt [a DOS window]. [you can also just find "command prompt" in the start menu somewhere instead]
Type "tracert supramania.com" and hit enter.
This will trace your route/hops from your computer to supramania.com
There are other ways to do this, but I thought this related well to our site. :D

The first address that came up for me was my gateway/router config address
http://192.168.xxx.xxx/
You will want to take note of the first address that is displayed; write it down or something.
Open up a web browser and type the address in, and hit enter.
If I type those numbers it will bring me to my router configuration page.