wire tucking project

Supraguy7M

7m forever!
Jan 9, 2013
bennington vermont
91Supra313;1940072 said:
Please let me know where you go through for the drivers side.

Ill take pictures step by step to give you an idea if how to go about it. The drivers side is definitely going to b more complicated depending on what route I go. I havent decided if I'm going to relocate the fuse box and igniter as well.

Scooter7M

Apr 16, 2013
Hopkinsville, KY
I had googled the idea of wire tucking a while back and found something on a different forum. A guy had moved his main relay and fuse box in front of the right front tire, behind the inner fender. Im not sure if any wires were extended for that or not.

Supraguy7M

7m forever!
Jan 9, 2013
bennington vermont
That's where I was thinking of putting it. I'm sure some wires will need to b extended. Hopefully tomorrow I finish the rear section of the drivers side, then I can see what its going to take to move the fuse box.

ill have to relocate the battery too. I don't think the bay would look right with everything off the fender well and still having the battery there.. what do you think about that?

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Are you going to close up all of the old bolt holes? I would relocate the battery. If you are going this far to hide wires and what not, then I would definitely move the battery. Plus if you have a sub and amp back there, a lot less wires for power and such.

Supraguy7M

7m forever!
Jan 9, 2013
bennington vermont
That's a good point, might as well do it all now instead of later on. I wanna weld all of the bolt holes up, ill save that for a little later. I've gotta work on my welding skills first lol

Supraguy7M

7m forever!
Jan 9, 2013
bennington vermont
Not something I wanna try lol. I already had to pull my bumper to undo the whole front body harness. Fuse box is mounted in the wheel well, without making wires longer. The tough part is figuring out where are good spots to start drilling holes. Ill post up some more pix later

Prism11

You should also think of making brackets for all the components that you moved, you don't want that stuff bouncing around in those zip-ties. I moved my fusebox to the front bumper support, its away from the tire, so there is no risk of water being sloshed up, and if a fuse needs replaced you dont have to remove a tire to make room for your hands. Only a few wires needed extended and the harness fit through the hole right behind the drivers headlight.

Scooter7M

Apr 16, 2013
Hopkinsville, KY
Prism11;1940216 said:
You should also think of making brackets for all the components that you moved, you don't want that stuff bouncing around in those zip-ties. I moved my fusebox to the front bumper support, its away from the tire, so there is no risk of water being sloshed up, and if a fuse needs replaced you dont have to remove a tire to make room for your hands. Only a few wires needed extended and the harness fit through the hole right behind the drivers headlight.

You should post a pic or two of your setup.

Prism11

Scooter7M;1940231 said:
You should post a pic or two of your setup.

I'll see if I can get a pic in the next day or two.

Most of the stuff on the front of the drivers fender was moved into the frame rail. The rest of the bay isnt tucked yet, which is why its fed through the hole behind the headlight. Once the rest is done it will change and I'm sure many more wires will need extended, but it should be easy since the engine is out.

Supraguy7M

7m forever!
Jan 9, 2013
bennington vermont
IMAG0458.jpgIMAG0459.jpgIMAG0442.jpg

The fuse box is mounted, now that's only part of the battle. Bay looks nicer without any wires. Gunna pressure was it tomorrow and see what it looks like. Then I gotta cut some holes and go from there. The only thing that I am unsure of is where I mounted my igniter. I'm gunna look into a different place for it.

awsom-0

May 8, 2005
Dallas, Tx
That looks awesome! Did you have to extend any to get the fuse box there? I have a ffim now and really want to clean up the drivers side cluster of wires.

Supraguy7M

7m forever!
Jan 9, 2013
bennington vermont
awsom-0;1940647 said:
That looks awesome! Did you have to extend any to get the fuse box there? I have a ffim now and really want to clean up the drivers side cluster of wires.
I didn't have to cut/extend any wires yet. I just removed all of the plugs from the fuse box and pulled the wires thru the fender hole. Drilled 2 holes into the bottom of the fuse box and mounted it with left over brackets from some of the sensors. Its a pain, but definitely worth it

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
I'm sure it's going to look nice when it's all said and done, but I'm just curious....what happened in the engine bay for it to be that dirty?? I'm not trying to rag on you.

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
Prism11;1940216 said:

This is the same route I'm taking. After cleaning up everything in the bay and finishing my 2J swap, the only wires I needed on the passenger side were VSS for Proefi traction control, jumped the leads on the fuel pump resistor and tucking that into the fender, and my EBCS is over there. That just leaves the brake fluid level sensor, and the heater control valve, everything else is engine harness. SO with the fuse box moved, it's all gone and clean.

This is what it looked like before I took it to have the harness done and finish the wiring

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
On my ma70 1jz, by opening up. The harness iwas able to move the ignitor/dli and inj resistor into the dash without cutting wires. However the timing loop went too
But. My engine harness firewall hole is on the driverside now

Deleting cruise, tapping closed leads these ended. Up at the firewall inside the fender
Also the prrssue sensor was moved to below the BMC

Passengerside the 12V fuel mod removed that relay and wires were tapped closed/pulled into the fender along with the unknown 87 relay

I also used those inner frnder firewall grommets for avcr/ugeo wires, and fuel power + amp power

But I'm not. A fan of inaccessable fuses. And I'm running 1.5 batteries

Supraguy7M

7m forever!
Jan 9, 2013
bennington vermont
Supra28;1941007 said:
I'm sure it's going to look nice when it's all said and done, but I'm just curious....what happened in the engine bay for it to be that dirty?? I'm not trying to rag on you.

The car sat in a friend of mines driveway for 10 years. He could never get ot running. It was always maintained by the po before him, it just wasn't cleaned well. I just never washed it in the year I owned it due to it running poorly, and I was more concerned with that.

Last edited: