Wiper blades.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
I recently installed a set of rain-X latitude wipers on my Supra. Pretty much the same as the Bosch Icon blades as well.

The DS 19" is fine but the 17" passenger side blade does not touch the windshield in the center of the blade or on the far right edge about for about 2 inches, just on the lower half of the windshield. When it goes up the outside edge touches but the center still doesn't touch the glass throughout the stroke.

Only thing I can figure is the spring isn't strong enough on that side to make the wiper lay flat. It worked fine with the normal blades with 6 mounting points but not the new ones.
Anyone else have this problem?
Maybe I should get a replacement tension spring?

The rear blade works fine but it is also a 19".

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
I got these a few years ago when they were "the new best thing" on my old DD. I had the same problem with the drivers side, wouldn't touch the very middle, which is really the only part of the windshield that mattered, We sell the Rain-X's and Michelins at my work and they come back broken much more than the old trusty style. I don't like them, all hype, cheaply made, waaayyy too expensive.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Yea my gf bought me these a year ago and I just now got around to installing them since my old ones were still good. So I can't really return them :/

gelboy1015

Vroom Vroom!
Jan 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Yea those "new style" wipers are crap. I had one on my rear wiper and it would leave a line in the middle where it wouldnt touch.. pissed me off. I also currently have a set on the front and the passenger side one doesnt touch the far right side.. I hate these wiper blades. Anco wipers at Walmart = FTW!!! :)

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
whowouldfigga;1270634 said:
Anco wipers at walmart $4.94 each. Replace them three times a year for price of one latitude.:biglaugh:

Yup, I usually only go through 1 or 2 sets a year.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Bosch Icons here, don't have that issue in the center...

The passenger side one the tip does lift off for about an inch at the lowest point ont he windsheild, but it's minor...

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
My standard procedure is to get wiper blades 1" larger than spec. Sure, the passenger one has the "Poodles Effect", but it's not a problem. The Bosch regular ones last a couple of years, so I've been happy with them.

Asterix

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I guess pics are in order. Keep in mind I went to these because EVERY aftermarket wiper chattered on the driver's side, not to mention the craptastic adapters most of them come with now.

The rear one is starting to come apart on the tip because it froze to the glass, and the fronts are fucked up because of cement mix dust (don't ask, long story). They've been on for over 3 years now...

p1270920_1.jpg

p1270920_2.jpg

p1270920_3.jpg

p1270920_4.jpg

p1270920_5.jpg

AFQC

What was that noise?
Mar 30, 2008
Vancouver WA
I have the rain-x wipers and haven't had any problems with the center not making contact but I have the problem with the pass side not touching on the outer edge. I switched from a 17 down to a 16 and it helped... a bit. One other thing I noticed about them is when you are cruising at speeds above 80, if the headlights are on/up the turbulent airflow tends to make them lift. I don't plan on buying latitudes again.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
I havn't had any problems with them lifting at highway speeds at all..The problem with the right edge not touching doesn't really bother me since its only at the very bottom of the windshield and is fine once it gets further up. I figure the windshield is just too concave at the bottom for the outer edge to touch.

It's just the center not touching thats bothered me. I really only noticed it because I put them on and the very next day it snowed down here for the first time in uhhh...years. Maybe i'll just have to look weird and have the latitudes on the DS front and rear with a normal el-cheapo on the PS.