Will an '89+ steering column combo switch fit on a pre '89??

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
Just wondering if I can swap my 88 combo switch assembly (wipers and headlight stalks) for an 89+ one. Is the connector under the dash the same? Will it just slide onto the column and fit correctly??

I like the look of the 89+, and my headlight switch has seen better days.

Thanks

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Yes, but only if you get one from an 89+ without airbags (89 only in USA, 89-91 in Canada).

The slipring has 1 extra pin on it too, for the extra switch on the steering wheel. It's easiest to just get the combination switch and the steering wheel, then it's all plug and play (although the extra switch won't work on the steering wheel without further modifications -- see my thread in the FAQ forum for more information on that.)

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
Jeff Lange;906399 said:
Yes, but only if you get one from an 89+ without airbags (89 only in USA, 89-91 in Canada).

The slipring has 1 extra pin on it too, for the extra switch on the steering wheel. It's easiest to just get the combination switch and the steering wheel, then it's all plug and play (although the extra switch won't work on the steering wheel without further modifications -- see my thread in the FAQ forum for more information on that.)

I should have prefaced the fact that I am using an aftermarket steering wheel, and have modified my slipring as follows (see post #4):

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10870&highlight=horn+steering+wheel

I don't have CC installed, so I just need my horn to work.

So with that being said, if I find an 89 combo switch (non-airbag), will I be able to install it with the same mod above, to have my horn work with my aftermarket wheel?

Are the two steering column covers the same, or at least interchangeable with the different combo switches?

Thanks!