Wierd transmission and A/F ratio problems..

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
Want to preface this with the only change I have made to the car is plugging in my E-manage blue, to tune with but have made NO changes so far. Mentioned b/c I think the A/F issues may be related.

Very weird problem tonight, started after leaving the store heading home. Got into boost a little bit, just enough to feel it, going around this long wide corner. Anyway when I lifted the BOV went off everything normal there. But, my A/F went pig pig rich, and stayed as such as I sat at a light, never done this before. (It’s a MAP based 1jz so that shouldn’t be normal.) I dropped the trans in neutral gave it a rev to clean it out, not sure why like I said it’s never gone rich like that, thought’d it help.. Light changes and everything goes back to normal….. Except for now the tranny is like searching for O/D and the converter won’t lockup. Get on the highway to head home get up to 70ish and it starts searching again, then decides ok I like 3rd gear, but don’t want to go into O/D and am definitely not locking up. It’s done this before but I tried a filter and fluid change with, Toyota ATF. Don’t remember exactly the type, whatever is the most recent you can get from Champion. Here’s what was really weird, while it’s stuck in third my A/F was again pig rich, never done this before.

Get off the highway sit at a light, pull away from the light and everything is fine. Sit at another light pull away again everything is fine. Cruise on home at 50-55ish for maybe 3-4 miles and never had anything weird come up again.

I’m stumped, and it’s dark. I’m going to go over it with a fine tooth comb tomorrow and see what I can find out. Any ideas??