wierd smoking habits of my car... help!

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
ok so I've recently noticed that when I start my car and let it warm up a little and then go drive it starts to smoke when I come to a stop at idle... but it's only every once in a while... so I checked my IC for oil and sure enough there was enough oil down in the lower ic pipe to let it get sucked up into the intake... so now I have this watery oil in my intake system(I know it's not a bhg b\c I keep checking the coolant and oil levels and they don't seem to change other than my oil getting a little lower b\c of an oil leak... I also tasted the oil to see if it had a sweet taste and sure enough it tastes like gas and oil mixed...lol)... so I drained my IC of oil(didn't fully clean it) and now when I'm at idle if I blip the throttle it smokes... other than that it doesn't smoke... now I haven't driven it since this all happend so I'm sure if it smoked just blipping the throttle it will smoke when I drive... does anyone have any clue as to what this could be... COULD IT INFACT BE A BHG!!! and I just didn'tnotice it... or could this be oil burning off... rings? valve seals? please help...

Thank you
Patrick

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Boostedstr8six said:
I just can't believe you actually tasted your oil to diagnose a problem... :yumyum:

Turbo seals or excessive blowby.

Quite the old racer's trick... stick the very tip of your tongue to your finger with fluid on it.

If its sweet you're in trouble.

Not a good idea, but it does work.

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
MDCmotorsports said:
Sounds to me like your turbo front seal is shot.

Its sucking oil right out of the turbo or...

Your PCV system is on the fritz and sucking way tooo much vapor.

would a catch can possibly solve this problem... could it be any chance be my rings or anything in the bottom end of the car? or would it likely be in the head or turbo?

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
A catch can will help but not solve the underlying problem.

If the turbo has shaft play or a ton of miles, thats most likely your problem.

A BHG will smoke most all the time, bright white and smell like cotton candy out the back.

A set of blown valve stem seals will only smoke on startup.

A set of blown rings will smoke all the time, under accell, or under decel depending on how bad they are.

Do a leak down or compression test if you're really worried about it.

I would say though your turbo is in need of a rebuild...

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
MDCmotorsports said:
A catch can will help but not solve the underlying problem.

If the turbo has shaft play or a ton of miles, thats most likely your problem.

A BHG will smoke most all the time, bright white and smell like cotton candy out the back.

A set of blown valve stem seals will only smoke on startup.

A set of blown rings will smoke all the time, under accell, or under decel depending on how bad they are.

Do a leak down or compression test if you're really worried about it.

I would say though your turbo is in need of a rebuild...

No... I wouldn't say that my turbo's up for a rebuild... I'd say that it's time to go BIGGER:biglaugh:...

TurboSupra7

Apr 9, 2005
Olathe, Kansas
Hey are you the guy that works at that storage place of 135th?? I used to work at Everett's right next door (before they closed down). I had the light blue supra and the black RX7.

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
TurboSupra7 said:
Hey are you the guy that works at that storage place of 135th?? I used to work at Everett's right next door (before they closed down). I had the light blue supra and the black RX7.

yes I am... you still have that supra... when I saw it, it looked amazing... I've since moved to lawrence for school... but my parents still live in olathe so I go back everyonce in a while... but I need to fix a few things before I drive it back... you wouldn't happen to know anyone with a turbo local would you...

skeen550

Dec 1, 2005
taylor, texas
my car does the exact same thing, a lot of oil in the intercooler and piping and it smokes when you blip the throttle at idle ... I didnt have the smoking until I started to hit 16psi on the turbo, back when I was hitting maybe 10psi it didnt smoke, may have simply spun it a little to fast and brought on a problem a little early. I have replaced the valve stem seals and it has good compression across the board. Turbo has unknown miles on it so I thinkg its the culprit ..

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Yeah, the front piston ring seal is leaking on your turbos, which means that the thrust cap is probably worn and needs to be replaced.
It's not that big of a deal, but a rebuil/upgrade should fix the smoking issue.
Well, it will at least rule out the turbo as the source of the smoke issue. ;)

TurboSupra7

Apr 9, 2005
Olathe, Kansas
Thanks, I have since cracked one of my 18's and I have two RX7 wheels on it so it doesn't look so good :)

Sorry I am still new to the supra world and I haven't met many supra people in the area, but if I hear anything I'll definitely let you know.

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
TurboSupra7 said:
Thanks, I have since cracked one of my 18's and I have two RX7 wheels on it so it doesn't look so good :)

Sorry I am still new to the supra world and I haven't met many supra people in the area, but if I hear anything I'll definitely let you know.

is that rx7 turbo'd also... c\ I think I saw you once and tried to catch up with you but ended up catching another 7 that looked identical to yours... but it was na...

88MK3

Dec 26, 2005
Phoenix,AZ
My car smokes all the time. It started suddenly one day coming home from work. I was slowing down then i could smell burning oil then my car started smoking.I since pulled the turbo out and the ic. Turbo has 135,000 miles on it with a lot of shaft play so time for a rebuild.Also my ic was full of oil as well. Any ideas??

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
clean ur ic out with petrol and the plumbing too,make sure your pcv lines are not clogged up either.Get a dial indicator to check the shaft play and see if its in spec,if not then rebuild/highflow while your at it.

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
miggles said:
clean ur ic out with petrol and the plumbing too,make sure your pcv lines are not clogged up either.Get a dial indicator to check the shaft play and see if its in spec,if not then rebuild/highflow while your at it.

well I've decided to do a little ordering...

on the way is...
LIPP BOSS stgIV turbo (with braided lines)
AFPR kit
Greddy Catch can
Koyo Radiator (w\ elec fans dual FAL's)
all new silicon hoses
Wideband O2 sensor w\ gauge

I figured that these products ought to do me well... I mean I do need a turbo after all and my radiator is leaking, and of course my hoses are all corroded... then I have to make sure my car's running right...

EDIT: and to continue with the sleeper look my turbo wasn't polished and I might be getting a 3in electric dump... so I can just run my downpipe into the cutout and then stock all the way back... so when I want to crank it up it's just a flip of a switch...