wierd rattling after oil change

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
sp617m;1230826 said:
well could you make a video with your phone of the car making the sound.

ya i was trying to do that but you cant really here it that clearly.. i may be able to get it more clear with my girlfriends digital cam but we have to find it first

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
i've been thinking about this, since you said it doesn't do it while idleing/reving; i would stop looking t the "shitty:nono:" engine, i would look at your brakes/wheel, maybe a rock got under the pad/rotating ass., pull of you tranny inspection cover and take a look around.

since this is your only means of transport. i would try harder to find the problem because 99% of problems dont go away or fix themselfs, so if you want it to be reliable...

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
If you got a few dollars and provided you didn't use a Genuine Toyota Oil Filter, try a Toyota oil filter and see if the problem goes away.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Phantom;1231328 said:
If you got a few dollars and provided you didn't use a Genuine Toyota Oil Filter, try a Toyota oil filter and see if the problem goes away.

Ummm...Toyota filters are medicore at best.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42763

The only ones worth using are the Denso Japan filters and finding those in the US is rather difficult. If you want a good filter, use a Wix or NAPA Gold.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
do you guys really think a oil filter would do this? if you read his posts it didn't happen immediately after, but shortly after...maybe the oil change was a coiendsdence. did he ever answer if it did it while ideling/reving or only driving-i thought he said only driving...if so the oil filter idea seems way out to lunch but thats just me; unless a few pletes were loose

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Highly unlikely an oil filter change would cause the noise he describes. I was simply responding to the recommendation for a Toyota filter ;)

A stethoscope would help isolate the location.

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
well sorry i havent been on to reply.. but anyway, the noise is coming from around the header, when i finished the oil change, i let my car idle for a couple minutes to warm up, when i test drove it is when the noise started, it didnt start when it was idling, but now it stays when it idles, i havent really been looking into it that much, im a little too busy. the filter i have is a k&n

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
the heat shield over the headers was removed by the previous owner but thats pretty close to where the noicse is coming from... ive been trying to find a good cam thatll actually record the noise but im getting too much background noise every time i record

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
FINALLY FOUND THE RATTLE, the cat converter shield is not screwed in so its hitting the pipe and causing a rattle, the oil change was just coincidental, i might of moved it when i was installing the filter, thanks for everyones help

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
sparkplug619;1311941 said:
FINALLY FOUND THE RATTLE, the cat converter shield is not screwed in so its hitting the pipe and causing a rattle, the oil change was just coincidental, i might of moved it when i was installing the filter, thanks for everyones help

Thanks for posting back with the cause :)

MadNad

Jan 25, 2008
Lafayatee, CA
I had the same issue years ago, so I had almost posted in here telling you to look at the catalytic converter. But I honestly couldn't remember if that was it. (This was back before I was really turning any wrenches and a friend had found the rattle). I believe he just removed the shield. I bet the shield helped the catalytic converter get hot faster and might coincide with higher than normal emissions I started getting?

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
it sucks because i tried to take it off but there is something in the way, i have to basically deal with the rattle or drop the whole pipe... by the way madnad i noticed your from lafayette, and thats my name lol ( just to throw that out there).. the shield was extremely hot and i only had the car running for 2 minutes so i can imagine the difference in emissions with it removed

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
lol the first thing that came to my mind was to update the forum, because alot of people were stumped on this so i just wanted to clarify what the problem was, and to help others in the future