Wierd ping or tick under load.

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
Ok I am starting to go mad.

I had a heat issue in the summer where the trans hump seemed overly warm but manageable. I figured I needed a trans cooler or something to deal with that.

Well a couple of weeks ago when the weather changed my supra developed an odd ping sound that increases under load when I give the car the gas. It does NOT do it in park or neutral. I changed the plugs and the #4 (4th from timing cover) spark plug was fouled somewhat. I also just realized that they didnt change the plugs when I had the BHG 2 years ago (go figure Priority)

What could this be? Its driving me nuts. The car has good boost (I am at stock until I figure it out) and power It revs good and idles fine along with good temp and oil pressure. I also changed the oil a bit before this started.

The ping sounds like when you run your fingernail over a comb. I also thought my exhaust sound was louder under the hood suddenly like I had a hole somewhere... I think I am just getting paranoid after seeing the posts about the EGR gasket..

V

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
check for exhaust leaks first. when you changed the oil, did you notice anything unusual about the oil? i noticed symptoms similar to the noise you heard on my motor when it was in the early stages of rodknock.

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
sneakypete;1204059 said:
check for exhaust leaks first. when you changed the oil, did you notice anything unusual about the oil? i noticed symptoms similar to the noise you heard on my motor when it was in the early stages of rodknock.

Nope the oil was dirty and had the same used smell as always. no fun stuff. It just started ticking about a week ago. You can rev all you want in park and neutral no tick. Put it in gear and you hear ticking under load its hard to track because it seems to happen when the car is moving.

V

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
Sportmax;1204223 said:
The EGR only opens when under load or cruising so it doesnt stall the car.
Hook up a vacumm line to the egr valve and it will open it, usually have it a little reved up so it does not stumble to bad(2k rpm probably)
If u power brake it will it make the noise? Not to the point of spinning the tires but enough to load it up. If so have somone do it for u while u are under the hood. (make sure parking brake is and foot hard on BRAKE)

Also are you sure its not just detenation? Maybe u put in the wrong gas or just got some bad gas?!

fixed ;)

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
Sportmax;1204223 said:
The EGR only opens when under load or cruising so it doesnt stall the car.
Hook up a vacumm line to the egr valve and it will open it, usually have it a little reved up so it does not stumble to bad(2k rpm probably)
If u power brake it will it make the noise? Not to the point of spinning the tires but enough to load it up. If so have somone do it for u while u are under the hood. (make sure parking brake is and foot hard on gas)

Also are you sure its not just detenation? Maybe u put in the wrong gas or just got some bad gas?!

Well I checked my turbo gasket bolts on the downpipe and they were tight. I swear my exhaust is leaking under the hood somewhere but I took a mirror and peeped all over and cant see anything. I am going to run cleaner through the system tomorrow and burn out this tank of gas with octane boost.

It really comes from the back 2 cylinders it seems. Now it does it under regular rev.

Whats insane is after the tuneup and new o2 sensor the car has great power.

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
Poodles;1204136 said:
Exhaust leak (that includes EGR)

I have a sensor on my water neck that has gone bad. I think its the cold start injector sensor (middle top with electric wires coming out of it)

I think the tick is in the head now. It ticks in neutral now.. Im putting cleaner/octane boost in as Im thinking I may have bad gas. But could that water neck sensor cause the tick now that the weather is so cold?

V

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Could still be the EGR cooler gasket as the cooler is BEFORE the EGR valve so it always has exhaust going to it (unlike what was previous said in this thread).

Once it blows out enough from load it will leak all the time.

What exact sensor is disconnected?

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
its real hard to tell if the EGR cooler gasket is blown since there is barely any clearance. good luck finding it and/or replacing it if that is the case.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
smoke test it, sea foam it(cheap smoke test) , or hook an air line up to the tail pipe. any leaks should become easy to find (especially when cold)

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
grimreaper;1204916 said:
smoke test it, sea foam it(cheap smoke test) , or hook an air line up to the tail pipe. any leaks should become easy to find (especially when cold)

Im going to try some redline fuel cleaner and see if its gas related. Plugs and wires are good but the o2 sensor I got was the wrong one. Looks like I will have to order one online or from Champion.

I will try the rag test tonight.

V