Why so black? [Pics]

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
Sydney, Australia, Australia
Hey guys

So after my first oil change that looked a bit too black after only 1000kms, my car started blowing white smoke. An overfill was suggested so I decided to drain some oil out. I pulled the sump plug and let out a little trickle which looked too black to only be used for about 100km. I decided to drain it all . This was the result

p1794001_1.jpg

p1794001_2.jpg

p1794001_3.jpg

Its foamy because I poured it in but its black as black can be. And Ive only done 100km. The oil I used last week was Castrol Magnatec 10w-40. Ive now gone fully synthetic. Ive also not seemed to have cured my white smoke problem...

Any suggestions as to why the oil would be this black and what would it indicate?

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
It would help if you explained the smoke more. really white, or blueish white? when does it happen? at idle? when its cold? once its warmed up? during boost? after boost? on deceleration? how much smoke? be as specific as possible or probably better post a video.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
PureDrifter;1794015 said:
that green stuff sure looks like coolant...

coolant would sink to the bottom so if it's as black as he says I'm sure what we see there is a reflection. if that much coolant was mixed in it should be all milky.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
I'm sorry you're right I should not have said that. look at me posting twice in a row. that's just poor manners :icon_bigg

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
I think that you should rebuild your turbo and fast. a bad turbo can cause white smoke.
Thats what happened to me. you dont want your turbo to blow.

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
Greek;1794019 said:
Or the reflection of the trees...

edit- Eat shit Kelson, I said it first! :(

lol you're right there was no green in there , its just a reflection of the trees above. Its pure black

kelson;1794017 said:
It would help if you explained the smoke more. really white, or blueish white? when does it happen? at idle? when its cold? once its warmed up? during boost? after boost? on deceleration? how much smoke? be as specific as possible or probably better post a video.

Its really pure white. It happens mostly at idle but also happens through the gears as well. Its worst once its warmed up. A large amount of smoke. Il try and take a video when its daytime tomorrow

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
im actually leaning to this being a vac line problem. Heard a hissing sound only when I was reversing today.... also saw this on another forum

"im sure i found my problem it was a vacuum leak a vacuum line from under the intake to a double nipple device low under the power steering fluid fill-up, its really hard to see but theres 2 metal nipples and one of the nipples is broke off and the line was just hanging there making a hissing sound, from my knowledge i think this is a bvsv of some sort for the egr i am burning white smoke im guessing its very lean that also being my gas oder in the engine bay, not exactly sure anyways lmk if you think i found it "

currently i dont have any vac lines beside the crucial one(mechanic only did the crucial vac lines)

Ive got my silicon hose coming soon so Im planning to do it then.

in the meantime what vac lines being disconnected/broken causes this type of white smoke problem so I can check?

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
I don't think its a vaccum line.... But I do think its your turbo take off your accordion hose and put your hand in there spin the blade and check for broken blades and shaft play. Take off your downpipe and check for oil build up

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
You should check your plugs and read 'em. Maybe that will help you get started on your smoke issue. As far as why the oil is super black, I don't know. I once had a Honda Accord that ran like clockwork. My oil would look the same when I did oil changes. I never understood why. My plugs were normal. Compression was great. It always bothered me when I changed it.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
aloshan;1794037 said:
....."im sure i found my problem it was a vacuum leak a vacuum line from under the intake to a double nipple device low under the power steering fluid fill-up, its really hard to see but theres 2 metal nipples and one of the nipples is broke off and the line was just hanging there making a hissing sound, from my knowledge i think this is a bvsv of some sort for the egr i am burning white smoke im guessing its very lean that also being my gas oder in the engine bay, not exactly sure anyways lmk if you think i found it " ...."

That post is so dumb it must have come from SF. Do yourself a favor and ignore it.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Suprapowaz!(2);1794060 said:
You should check your plugs and read 'em. Maybe that will help you get started on your smoke issue. As far as why the oil is super black, I don't know. I once had a Honda Accord that ran like clockwork. My oil would look the same when I did oil changes. I never understood why. My plugs were normal. Compression was great. It always bothered me when I changed it.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp

That's a cool useful link thanks

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Personally I'd say that has a blue tinge to it in the video, but that's just me. Blue would mean oil, and my guess if it's like that at idle would be either turbo or really bad rings. Have you done a compression test yet? I'll pull the downpipe off to see if you've got oil in it as well.

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
radiod;1795129 said:
Personally I'd say that has a blue tinge to it in the video, but that's just me. Blue would mean oil, and my guess if it's like that at idle would be either turbo or really bad rings. Have you done a compression test yet? I'll pull the downpipe off to see if you've got oil in it as well.

sorry guys havnt been ignoring the many suggestions , just been really busy.

No , maybe thats just how it looks in the video but it is white smoke. no blue to it at all.

This weekend il take a look at my plugs and down pipe to see if there is oil.

thanks for the help guys