Why low boost... and whining noise???

tekimp

Airborne
Aug 8, 2007
Fort Bragg, NC
Okay ya'll don't call me stupid for this, but I'm still new and still have a ton to learn.

Situation:

Low boost and whining sound at 3~5 psi... Maybe whine of death? Maybe boost leak? What is it?

POSSIBLE ANSWER:

Well, After spending 15 hours replacing all the vacuum lines, all the inter cooler hoses, checking the inter cooler, checking the turbo... we just about gave up. We listened to the sound and hear the loud whine come from the area of the waste gate.

Bad waste gate?

Removed that and checked it... it worked....

We reinstalled it and test drove it... still had that horrible whining noise.

Crawler under the car late this evening and had one of my friends rev the car up till the sound could be heard again... and what would you know?

Exhaust coming out from where the down pipe connects to the cat.

Now, I'm running 4 inch down pipe to a 3 in exhaust system... I believe.

So, why would the exhaust be coming out from the joint where the cat and the down pipe connect?

BLOCKED CAT!

Has to be... there is no reason why the exhaust shouldn't flow... except a blocked cat....

I am gonna either hollow out the cat tomorrow... or get regular old straight piping tomorrow.

Just weird that this would happen.

Has anyone else had this happen before?

tekimp

Airborne
Aug 8, 2007
Fort Bragg, NC
OMG! Hollowed out the cat... and it's fixed!!!

Talk about boost!!!

Running down the road... getting 15 psi and then some on boost! The friggin inter cooler piping popped off it was running so much.

So, now the problem is controlling that boost.

UGH!... Have a Greddy Profec E-01 working as a boost controlled... and... well... it ain't reading boost right... and since it ain't reading the boost right, I can only assume that's why it's not opening the waste gate....

One thing after another.

Anyone have experience with a Greddy Profec E-01???

DAMN! It's great to have mad boost again!