why is my oil pressure not going past a 1/4 way when im on the road

supisarethebest

bhg all day!!!!
Feb 19, 2009
rhode island
i have a feeling that my oil pump is no good cause my oil pressure gauge isnt going past a 1/4 of the way when im on the road and i think that might be the reason my turbo crapd out(not enough oil being circulated through the engine and turbo,my car also runs a little rought,help

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
remove sending unit, screw in oil pressure gauge and read the readings and you will know for sure

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
oil pumps really dont go bad very often....its very rare as they are a very simple design! odds are you either have a stuck piston squirter, bad guage, bad sender, bad wire, or stuck oil relieve valve, or stuck oil cooler bypass valve.

SupraDupra907

AK-907
Jan 28, 2008
North Pole
Hey, I had the same problem with my mk3 supra when I first got it. I put it 10w30 synthetic oil, and was getting at best, 10psi on the highway?! I then thought, maybe the oil was too thin, and changed the oil and just put regular 10w30, and sure enough that was it for me.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
SupraDupra907;1367456 said:
Hey, I had the same problem with my mk3 supra when I first got it. I put it 10w30 synthetic oil, and was getting at best, 10psi on the highway?! I then thought, maybe the oil was too thin, and changed the oil and just put regular 10w30, and sure enough that was it for me.

^^^ This is not someone you want to listen to ;)

I still haven't figured out what "my oil pressure gauge isnt going past a 1/4 of the way" means in psi. Especially at idle and 3000 RPM per the TSRM :rolleyes:

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
supisarethebest;1367554 said:
its all stock except for 3'' downpipe,catless,and 3'' dragger exhaust thats it,had a rebuild about 2k miles ago and a hg shortly after the rebuild

Rebuild and then a HG 2000 miles later? Sounds like a good rebuild.

If it was properly rebuilt then bearing clearances should be fine, could be any of the things gaboon said. But until you get a hard gauge on there I wouldn't do anything rash.

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
My oil pressure was really low with synthetic, so I mixed in some Kellog's instant fudge, and it shot right up!! I was good to go after that. Then I got a really bad boost leak, so I used the colored pvc tape, not the normal black stuff, and man does it haul now!:sarcasm:

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
a QUArter of the way means absolutely shit. Get a real oil pressure gauge then report back with actual numbers then maybe someone will tell you what's going on, or you'll find the worthless factory oil pressure gauge is just that.... worthless....

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Justin;1367667 said:
a QUArter of the way means absolutely shit. Get a real oil pressure gauge then report back with actual numbers then maybe someone will tell you what's going on, or you'll find the worthless factory oil pressure gauge is just that.... worthless....

better than just a idiot light....

but i agree get a mechanical gauge on there.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Justin;1367667 said:

The factory pressure gauge with a new sender isn't all that bad.

The temp gauge on the other hand LOL.