Why do most of the MKIII owners not buy hood struts?

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
since this seems to be such a hot topic, maybe ya'll could post up the cheapest source for said hood struts.
Might even be cheaper than my ball bat.....

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Rock Auto is going to be wondering why they've suddenly got 35 orders for Supra hood struts... :rofl:

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I just got my hood & hatch struts in today from rockauto.com. I went out and installed the hood struts immediately. It didn't take long at all. You guys aren't going to believe this, but suddenly my hood pops up when I pull the hood latch release from inside the cab. I no longer have to pry up the hood with my pinkie finger like I used to. And... the damn hood nearly raises up by itself. I lift it up a couple of inches and it takes over and raises up on its own. And the best part of all... it actually stays up and doesn't drop down.

They're only $12.57/ea from rockauto.com , and about $8.50 for shipping. That's before your 5% discount by using the code supplied in their vendor forum section. For less than $40, and 10minutes of your time you no longer have to use a "stupid stick" to prop up your hood. I can't believe I've been putting this off for so long. Now I feel stupid for not doing it sooner.

[video=youtube;EkdA8nG16RQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkdA8nG16RQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
since we are on the subject i have struts but lost the little clips that hold them onto the knubs on the hood side who has some for me!?

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
Suprapowaz!(2);1839547 said:
They're only $12.57/ea from rockauto.com , and about $8.50 for shipping. That's before your 5% discount by using the code supplied in their vendor forum section. For less than $40, and 10minutes of your time you no longer have to use a "stupid stick" to prop up your hood. I can't believe I've been putting this off for so long. Now I feel stupid for not doing it sooner.
RockAuto;1626880 said:
Discount Code: 3978C623F018
Expires: 5/20/2012

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive discount. Orders using discount codes must be placed online. Phone orders are not eligible for discounts.

RockAuto.com is an online auto parts store founded in Madison, Wisconsin in 1999 by the Taylor family. RockAuto.com now ships thousands of auto parts from over 200 manufacturers to customers worldwide.

The www.RockAuto.com catalog is updated daily with mechanical parts like brake pads and shock absorbers, body parts like bumpers and mirrors, interior trim like door handles and carpets, and major assemblies like steering gears, CV axles, and engine long blocks. Service manuals and CDs are available to help customers learn how to perform a repair. The www.RockAuto.com catalog is expanding constantly. Someday it may be possible to build an entire car using parts from RockAuto.com!

RockAuto.com prices are low every day! Order online at www.RockAuto.com 24 hours a day. Parts are conveniently delivered to your door. Have parts questions that must be answered accurately? RockAuto.com has excellent customer service agents ready to help you get the parts you need. E-mail service@rockauto.com or call Toll Free, 1-866-762-5288. (Mon - Thur 7 to 10 / Fri 7 to 9 / Sat 7 to 6 / Sun 8 to 4 Central Standard Time).

$29.56 shipped to me, duh!!!! Goodbye baseball bat.....:dunno::bowdown:

Last edited:

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
I just got my hood & hatch struts in today from rockauto.com. I went out and installed the hood struts immediately. It didn't take long at all. You guys aren't going to believe this, but suddenly my hood pops up when I pull the hood latch release from inside the cab. I no longer have to pry up the hood with my pinkie finger like I used to. And... the damn hood nearly raises up by itself. I lift it up a couple of inches and it takes over and raises up on its own. And the best part of all... it actually stays up and doesn't drop down.

[video=youtube;EkdA8nG16RQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkdA8nG16RQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

It says your video is private.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ

p1839742_1.jpg

veedubin

Official SM Decals
This thread inspired me... was on rock auto looking for the Camry throttle cable, then thought back to this thread. So now my brand new Hood struts are on their way :D BTW do they come with new lower mounting hardware like they do in the parts store???

Sent from my LG-P504 using Tapatalk 2

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
I must have the one Supra that had good hood struts, lol. Hatch ones are on theri way out though, thinking I'll order some this week.
-AM3