Who did you get your 1JZ swap from? the good, the bad?

Boost_happy

breakin it sideways!
Dec 28, 2005
Boise, ID
Well my engine is sold so now I start the adventure of trying to find a reputable place to get an engine from. Thought I'd start here and ask you guys where you got yours and who you had good luck with and who you should avoid. I'm looking to get a full swap but I do have a spare r154 so its not manditory, could just get a bell housing...

Backfire

Jan 14, 2010
Portland, Oregon
I got mine from Ebay, a company called Nagasaki Motors. $1200 with AT, Ecu, and wiring harness. Engine is not in the car yet. But it looks good from what I can see, My only problems was that they didn't cover up the intake or charge piping at all when they shipped it.

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
Nagasaki Motors in Richmond BC. I would not deal with those fuckers. They are a bunch of know nothing rip off artists. Honestly I dont trust any of these motor importer companys. My swap came from a running driving car with a dismantle only title from my insurance company.

Boost_happy

breakin it sideways!
Dec 28, 2005
Boise, ID
ha yeah.. idk about some of these importers either. some people i've been happy with and others i could care less for. I've been talking with aron from drift motion and he has been a big help and I may just go through him if I dont get an engine from one of the guys on here... either way he's been a big help.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Got my 2jzgte from Kaizen, I'm sure Jose can get you a 1jzgte. He is an awesome down to earth guy, so give him a call.

suprasom

Dec 22, 2008
Columbus
I was going to buy 2 supra 1jz motors from tiger Japanese with harness and ecu about two weeks ago, give all my info, and they were going to ship and send me the tracking number ones the shipped them out, I get a call from them two days later "we are very sorry, we only have one motor and it's not greats motor" if could give us two weeks we will get a new shipment, give us a call back in two weeks. Sure I could have gone somewhere else but they promised me a very clean engines and the prices was better very where else, so a waited, call him yesterday yeah we are just unloading right now. Give them my info again, but this time the owner wanted $150 on what the deal was the first time, I was cool with that I just wanted to get my motors. We will send you the tracking number. Got nothing I call them! This time the owner would not separate the swap, meaning you had to buy the too. I do not need 5 Speed Transmission. I already have two sitting at my house. I got so mad and I hanged up on him. I will not deal with them any more

Boost_happy

breakin it sideways!
Dec 28, 2005
Boise, ID
suprasom;1564259 said:
I was going to buy 2 supra 1jz motors from tiger Japanese with harness and ecu about two weeks ago, give all my info, and they were going to ship and send me the tracking number ones the shipped them out, I get a call from them two days later "we are very sorry, we only have one motor and it's not greats motor" if could give us two weeks we will get a new shipment, give us a call back in two weeks. Sure I could have gone somewhere else but they promised me a very clean engines and the prices was better very where else, so a waited, call him yesterday yeah we are just unloading right now. Give them my info again, but this time the owner wanted $150 on what the deal was the first time, I was cool with that I just wanted to get my motors. We will send you the tracking number. Got nothing I call them! This time the owner would not separate the swap, meaning you had to buy the too. I do not need 5 Speed Transmission. I already have two sitting at my house. I got so mad and I hanged up on him. I will not deal with them any more

Good to know!! I almost got one from them!

Who is this Kaizen guy? how can I get ahold of him?

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
I bought mine from a guy in town. It came from his jza70. I heard the engine run, knew everything he had done with it in the time he owned it and knew how he drove it. I honestly dont believe there is any other way to go unless you plan to rebuild it right off the bat.

The engine is now in my car and runs amazing. No problems at all, other then the smoking twins. I did know of this prior to purchase though.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
mkiiichip;1555368 said:
I recently bid on and paid for this engine, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...LVI&its=I&otn=1&category=33615#ht_1170wt_1165

After paying for the motor i was told that it would take two weeks to ship the motor. Two weeks later i contacted the seller and was informed that he was waiting on a shipment from japan. then i got pissed and demanded my money back. Amazingly a week and a half later i actually got every penny back.

Note nowhere in the for sale add (this is the exact same add i bid on) does it note that these are not the pics of the motor you will receive. Also note the custom DP to lure you in.

Next i found a 1jz and contacted the seller to verify the pictures on the add were the actual pics. The motor was ready to ship etc. three weeks later i received the motor. its not running yet but the bottom end looked brand new. i had a great buying experience with (dont laugh) VTEC_MOTORS ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/VTEC-MOTORS-Quality-JDM-Engines?_rdc=1

Hope this helps.

Boost_happy

breakin it sideways!
Dec 28, 2005
Boise, ID
^ lol a VTEC 1JZ huh? haha just kidding....

Well a lot and I mean A LOT!! of looking around, phone calls and e-mails I finally made a decision...

Before I mention anything, I want to give another big thanks to Aron from Drift Motion, best and most helpful guy I've dealt with in this search, and had the cleanest engine out of all of the pictures I got, He was also the most knowledgeable and friendliest guy i worked with. he just didnt have the setup I wanted but I would highly recommend him and I will be purchasing stuff from him. A+ for customer service Aron!!

I ended up getting a full swap from J-spec Auto Sports back in Virginia, 2gen 1jz jza70 rear sump with mounts, R154 with Ogura sprung twin disc clutch setup, supra harness, ignitor, ecu, and map sensor for $2700 shipped with a 60 day warranty. engine has 180psi across the board.
Sam is the guy I worked with there and he was very helpful. he sent me pictures of the compression test, the engine and clutch setup.
Engine should be here in the next week or 2 so well see if its everything that was promised...........

As far as people I would not waste my time with..... JDM Engine Depot and JDM Engine Corps!!! both places were in a hurry to get off the phone with me and wouldnt even consider sending me pictures of anything UNTIL I paid for it... then if I didnt like the engine I'd have to wait for another one.. that was an instant no go even with the price they offered me.

Another place i wasnt sure about was tiger auto parts/ tiger japanese.... they did go as far as to send me pictures but i wasnt very satisfied, plus the engine in the pictures was really dirty and nothing was closed or covered up as far as intake and what not....
Venus auto parts did about the same, sending me pictures but wasnt completely satisfied, plus i could hardly understand a thing the guy said...

We'll see how this all pans out and hopefully It'll be everything that was promised!

Thanks again Aron for all your time and advise!

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
I went through JDM_Planet on ebay. Bunch of dumbshits, ended up with a chaser 1J engine. Threatened a lawsuit to them and they gave me a Soarer 1J for free (i paid for the shipping). Id go through a vendor on here or JHot Imports in Denton. Just bought an EJ205 from them for my brothers Impreza and its was perfect.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
http://www.jhotimports.com/

This is where I got my 1j/r154 from, and I couldn't have been happier. Only thing that didn't come with this setup was the hydrofan for whatever reason, but considering the shape of the thing upon teardown, I was hardly disappointed at all. Got it all sealed back up with new gaskets and rtv, and it's still running strong today, as a daily driver. :)

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
I bought a low mileage front clip JZA70 supra from Jarco 4 years ago and it's been a very good investment. Everything needed for the swap is included no sourcing parts out from other cars.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
JHOT and JARCO are good choice

Tiger japanese !
I ordered 4 engines from them, last one being about 2 months ago where I ordered two 2jzs from them. They promised me a clean, washed engine and that is what i got. One engine had all brand new hoses and seals etc which i was surpriced. both had narnesses, which they don't ususally include. Packed super well and delivered to my door for very cheap chsipping. They also knocked off 40 dollars when i asked why they were charging that for shipping and handling when I was actually paying separate for shipping.
All in all, all the times I had good engines and service was not bad either. I found that to have good service from anyone, you have to be courteous in return and ask questions and ask for deals even if they are not advertised.
Just like vendors on here also have bad reps with some people I know, but they have chosen not to put it out in public. All companies will have the bads/good combined...i guess.

SupraStardom

Nov 11, 2006
Council Bluffs, IA
I got a JZA70 front clip from Aaron at Driftmotion. Best money spent. Had everything and it all worked. Made the swap real easy. I sent my body plugs from my supra and Aaron made a jumper harness to plug into the 1jz harness and my supra. For the fuse box end having the other side of the EA2 plug to splice into was really nice. It allows it to be disconnected like stock. Came with the hydrofan setup complete. Stock intercooler and piping swapped over. Good enough for daily driving. I drove stock jdm 1jz for over a year. Well actually i owe alot of success to suprastanger507mgte. He sent me the diagrams to finish the little wiring i had to do and I made a little mistake and smashed the nipple of my MAP sensor. I got one from him and it ran for a long time until i went to EMS 6860. Long story short. Driftmotion was awesome in getting a good clip for me. Couldn't be happier.

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
i got my 1jz from a place out of canada called jdm tiger japanese... let's just say i called them and specifically asked for a jza70 1jz motor with r154 ecu and harnes... the guy says i have a couple we'll send one right out to you... next day he calls back and says the ecu is the only thing missing, i said that's fine just send me one when your next shipment comes in... hour later he said he found an ecu i said awesome... the money transaction of course was flawless... but shipping was TWO DAYS LATE!!! talk about anticipation!!!

Finally it gets here...
I tear of the shrink wrap from shipping.....:aigo: i see TRC on the throttle body, OH SNAP SOARER?.... look at the ecu and harness... jzz30... yeah it was a 1jz but not the specific one he said he was going to send.

i call him up and raised hell he said he couldn't do anything cause a 1jz is what i asked for and that's what i got... i even offered to just switch the harness and ecu for one out of a jza70... he said NO...

i mean the motor and everything was useable but it just pissed me off to be sooo articulate on what i wanted to only get told to fuck off...

BTW the harness was chopped, cut and hacked up like STIR FRY... extra drillas to fix

soooo don't use them

suprasom

Dec 22, 2008
Columbus
87supraguy;1569593 said:
i got my 1jz from a place out of canada called jdm tiger japanese... let's just say i called them and specifically asked for a jza70 1jz motor with r154 ecu and harnes... the guy says i have a couple we'll send one right out to you... next day he calls back and says the ecu is the only thing missing, i said that's fine just send me one when your next shipment comes in... hour later he said he found an ecu i said awesome... the money transaction of course was flawless... but shipping was TWO DAYS LATE!!! talk about anticipation!!!

Finally it gets here...
I tear of the shrink wrap from shipping.....:aigo: i see TRC on the throttle body, OH SNAP SOARER?.... look at the ecu and harness... jzz30... yeah it was a 1jz but not the specific one he said he was going to send.

i call him up and raised hell he said he couldn't do anything cause a 1jz is what i asked for and that's what i got... i even offered to just switch the harness and ecu for one out of a jza70... he said NO...

i mean the motor and everything was useable but it just pissed me off to be sooo articulate on what i wanted to only get told to fuck off...

BTW the harness was chopped, cut and hacked up like STIR FRY... extra drillas to fix

soooo don't use them
I really think tiger Japanese has the worst customers service, they don't check their engines before they ship out, "broken TPS, cut or hacked wire harness" do your own compression check ones you receive your engine for anyone think about get something from tiger think twice before you gamble with your money….