Who changed their ring and pinion?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Be it an actual matching gear set, or just the whole diff swapped. I want to know who went taller. Seems like his highness went with a 3.50 before the LSx. I don't remember any more. Anybody go really tall, (without the Getrag) like a 3.20-3.30? Did you like it, dislike, go back?

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I had considered it briefly, to help control wheel spin, but then I realized that if I went much lower than the 3.73, 1st gear would have went to 60+mph... not to mention a potential top speed of well over 200. I was actually thinking it would be better to go to a 3.91, but I don't do much highway cruising.

Have you contacted Jawsgear on this yet? Last I knew, they were one of the few companies offering aftermarket support for our cars gears.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I am looking on MKIV.com. I am trying to find the tech bulletin for new products. Well, I found it, but don't see anything about the diffs. What is the ratio? The mass media has contradictory information. It seems like the ratio also changed at some point. Believe it or not, I am thinking of changing to a rather tall 3.27 from my 3.73.

edit: Found it. Last page, figures.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Sounds like fun. A 3.27 would be a great gear if you do a lot of highway driving, get those rpms down in the low 2000 range... Worth it to you to fab up a custom setup? IIRC, Jaws had a 3.5x for our diffs. Not even sure they're still building those though...