white smoke

madseacow

Apr 2, 2005
Buda, Tx
I've always had a bit of somke but now that I've installed 550cc injectors/maftpro/fpr/walbro/fixed boost leaks, I've got a pretty good amount of white smoke after idling for a few minutes, and it'll puff like a cloud when I rev. I've heard this is everything from bhg to turbo to valve stem seals, I don't really have shaft play with the turbo and my headgasket is pretty fresh as well as the headwork. Also I get pretty bad boost creep in the upper RPMs. Any ideas?

MaxBoostedSupra

Sep 23, 2006
Grosse Ile, MI
madseacow said:
I've always had a bit of somke but now that I've installed 550cc injectors/maftpro/fpr/walbro/fixed boost leaks, I've got a pretty good amount of white smoke after idling for a few minutes, and it'll puff like a cloud when I rev. I've heard this is everything from bhg to turbo to valve stem seals, I don't really have shaft play with the turbo and my headgasket is pretty fresh as well as the headwork. Also I get pretty bad boost creep in the upper RPMs. Any ideas?
Mine does that and its my valve stem seals. They cost like $55 for new ones. The smoke was a white/blue color.

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
Well, does the car do this all the time or just when it's first started up? First, there are 3 situations here and they all depend on what you mean by "white" and "smoke" ;)

1. White "smoke" is almost always BHG, as that's coolant burning. But...
2. Is the smoke actually white? or is it more blue. Blue means oil, and that can be either valve stem seals/turbo seals...generally
3. White "steam" is also a good one too...most cars when first started up and for the first 10 minutes will steam - especially if you live in a rainy or cold climate. I know up here, my car always steams when first starting up, and that's because of moisture in the system that's evaporating.

So, it all depends on white/blue smoke/steam...if you're certain that it's white smoke though, check your coolant and oil for mixing, and take a small wiff of the exhaust and see if it smells sweet. If those check out, you're looking at BHG :)

GL!

AlexSmith

Argue this!
Feb 16, 2007
DFW Texas
TobyCat said:
So, it all depends on white/blue smoke/steam...if you're certain that it's white smoke though, check your coolant and oil for mixing, and take a small wiff of the exhaust and see if it smells sweet. If those check out, you're looking at BHG :)

I love the smiley face at the end of that reply LOL.