White smoke comes and goes

yukioda

Jul 2, 2014
des moines
Hi I am a new member to the supra mania and I'm having a confusion about my 7mgte. I have a 1988 toyota supra mk3 7mgte turbo.I got a new used block and head and swap the old parts to the new used one.The motor was done which was about 5 months ago it ran great.About 2 weeks ago the water coolant was geting low and the temp was high and its smoking white only after you drive the car and let it idle for about a min. The engines stock and it runs fine no smoke comes out when driving.After you leave the car over night,it starts perfectly fine around 700rpm no smoke but after its warmed up later steams out the exhaust a little bit.Then when you gas it puffs of white smoke would blow out of the exhaust and it would idle rough around 400-500 rpm and have like a misfiring, the white smoke would smell like strong burning antifreeze and stings my eyes a bit. It dosent seem to have a lost of horse power when driving,but when its idling rough I hear a taping noise like valves. I dont know if its a bad head gasket,bad valve seals,water pump,bad spark plugs or fuel injectors.I checked to see if theres oil in the coolant but theres nothing but coolant,checked the dipstick and its fine.I am running a Dex-cool prestone coolant and mobile1 5w-30w oil,on octane 91 gasoline.Checked the codes and it has a code 51 and 52.I think it all started when I poured more coolant in the engine when coolant was low and warm because I remembered it was the only time it first smoked white but it was only a little bit 1.5 weeks ago. Let me know what you guys think the problem is.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
yukioda;2017630 said:
Then when you gas it puffs of white smoke would blow out of the exhaust and it would idle rough around 400-500 rpm and have like a misfiring, the white smoke would smell like strong burning antifreeze and stings my eyes a bit.

Assuming you know what cooked coolant smells like, there is only two ways to get coolant in the combustion chamber. One, the chamber is compromised. Two, coolant into the intake manifold. There are coolant lines on the throttle body that keep the incoming charge temps constant.

yukioda

Jul 2, 2014
des moines
today after refilling the coolant and driving it around, the supra would stall or do a 2step around 4000-4500 rpm at 50% throttle then at 100% the car would go pass the 4000 and would be fine at 100% throttle when i got home and popped the hood theres high pressure steam blowing out from the coolant container and there would be some coolant spilling out from it too. why does it do that? then after i opened the oil cap theres some caramel goo stuck to the cap. You think it might be a BHG?

yukioda

Jul 2, 2014
des moines
yeah thought so too, gonna get a 1.4mm metal headgasket with head studs soon, thanks for the feedback. Let me know if you have any tips or anything.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
yukioda;2017749 said:
yeah thought so too, gonna get a 1.4mm metal headgasket with head studs soon, thanks for the feedback. Let me know if you have any tips or anything.

How did u come up with 1.4mm before knowing how much u machine off of the head and block?

yukioda

Jul 2, 2014
des moines
7M4EVR;2017810 said:
How did u come up with 1.4mm before knowing how much u machine off of the head and block?
I didnt I was planning on sanding and cleaning it myself.But sense you asked that I might think about doing a 2.0mm instead just to be safe.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
yukioda;2017845 said:
I didnt I was planning on sanding and cleaning it myself.But sense you asked that I might think about doing a 2.0mm instead just to be safe.

You need to understand the difference between a metal headgasket in terms of prepwork. Don't want to just stick a metal HG in there without machining and prepping the surfaces properly or you will be doing it over again right away. Search my friend...