White residue around exhaust manifold. Pics included

Tnice17

May 26, 2014
CT
Hey guys,

In progress to fix a few things and I found this. Little concerning because I don't know what it is. Found around the manifold to turbo and turbo to downpipe.

Any help would be great! Thanks!
6de0b7201a55b62c06b537d0228ae05d.jpg

558ad5c57cd836e6ced3294d58c9d3ec.jpg
224038ffa4c01e7f0037b1a2511a9d43.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
I'm going to go with a a coolant leak at some point. Hopefully just a old leak from one of the lines to/from the turbo. Hard to say though, any other evidence?

Tnice17

May 26, 2014
CT
Yeah i was thinking coolant too. no other evidence. Car ran/drove great for the 2k miles i put on it so far.

I purchased the car about 6 months ago and the previous owner did the HG, t belt and water pump. i have the receipts so i dont want to point my fingers to the HG right away.

the only odd thing i noted was that the turbo removal was very easy, no seized bolts or anything. oddly the exhaust manifold was barely tight. i undid 2 bolts and i could see it wiggle around already. did look like i had an exhaust leak on cylinders 3-6, no residue around the head ports. i also used a mirror and bright light to look into the ports - all 6 appear normal.

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
Could be that you are running lean or rich (can't remember which though). One of those conditions can cause white residue on metal, I think it was lean. I realize it might be out there but that's what a shop was telling me back in the day when my car wasn't tuned right and I had some white tinged metal on my exhaust manifold (we're talking 15+ years now so details are hazy)...could be something to consider.

Tnice17

May 26, 2014
CT
Possible, I only noted it when i was removing everything, did not have any residue when the car was 100% stock. I do have a wide-band, always was 11-11.5 under 10-11psi. Only Catless exhaust and intake. I would think i would see it in the ports too, no?

I was also thinking moisture/exhaust leak because I do not drive the car often, maybe once every 1-2 weeks. When i do, its maybe 20-30 miles during that day. Possible exhaust leak on the DP because it is an eBay one i modified to fit, and also because the turbo to manifold was just "snug". Broke the 14mm nuts very easy with a 8" wrench.

I am also replacing the valve cover gasket so i can try to check the torque of the ARPs.

If you guys do not see a red flag right away than i am not concerned, the 7mgte is a new engine to me.

Blackmk3

Apr 10, 2006
New Zealand
Could be some sort of car wash? been sprayed over the engine and has caked onto the hot components, and hasn't been washed off during a pressure wash?

I wouldn't be worried. Also check all exhaust manifold threads in the head, its common on 7Ms to strip the threads then require helicoiling. could be the reason for being loose.

When refitting i always remove the nuts off the studs clean up all of the threads and wind the studs into the head then put the manifold on and then the nuts, using lots of high temp antisieze, torqued evenly you shouldn't have a problem along as the manifold is straight, some do a re torque after a few weeks, Motivation dependent

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
Fresno, California, United States
i just took my stock ct off to slap a 57 trim on and i have the same thing around the gaskets and inside the turbine side. From what I can tell its just form running rich under load. I have no leaks and make great power and tq on stock ct with a ddp. So i wouldn't worry about it.

Tnice17

May 26, 2014
CT
Great that's glad to hear I'm not the only one. You obviously have put a lot of miles on your supra by now and it's still Ok.

Thanks everyone!