which techline coating?

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
hey guys,

getting ready to buy a techline coating to put on this manifold, but i'm slightly confused with these three choices:

black satin
turbo x
cilgen satin black

i think the turbo x color holds up best under temperature. looks like all three will air dry, but black satin and turbo x need to be cured with some kind of heat (be it car or oven). only other difference i see is that cilgen will take two light coats whereas the turbo x and black satin coatings only use one light coat.

anyone have input/experience?

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
also, anyone thought about using their thermal barrier (CBC1?) on the intake manifold?

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Do you have abrasive blasting equipment ?
Do you have a large enough oven to cure the parts ?
(doing it on the car won't work)
If not, forget it.
Send your parts to someone who can do it right.
I had a new set of headers coated with black satin by a local 'oh, I can do it' guy.
They looked halfway nice, except for a bare spot on the front tube.
The coating failed under 6 months worth of usage........
Bubbled, and flaked all over the place.
Stayed on the car for another year, and they started looking like crapola.
Sent them off to HPC coatings, and they did a fantastic job with the polished silver stuff.
Cost twice as much, but with what I see of there coating, it will way out last the local job,
and I could have never done that good of job myself.

I do my own engine parts with moly & heat barrier, but those parts will fit my blast cabinate, and oven for a propper cure.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
Ive got the blast cabinet and application equip. Only issue is the curing step if i dont use the cilgen

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
called techline. heres what they told me for future reference: both satin black and turbox are their best thermal barriers. turbox remains colorfast at high temps instead of turning gray like their satin black. cilgen black satin has the highest chemical/corrosion resistance but its not as capable dealing with heat. all three can be applied to bare metal after proper prep.